Dunkirk stopover

crbtaylor

crbtaylor - 2013-04-19 6:10 PM

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stop near Dunkirk. We are arriving from the UK early evening so ideally don't want to travel too far, a walk on the beach would be nice!

You can park up in the DFDS terminal park at Dunkirk-there will be plenty of others there for a natter etc and it's free

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
ditto Gravelines only 5-10 minutes away,peaceful and nice small town within 5 mins walk. beach a bit further better on bikes...

FYI payment at Gravelines is by debit/credit card in a machine. It has aways worked for me but some say it never works. I think that may be an excuse for not paying :-D.

Rain has been the default weather when we have been which makes the yellow gravel surface stick to shoes and no matter how hard I try not to bring it in to the van I still do, much to MOHs annoyance.

Have a good trip.

Cliffy - 2013-04-21 12:14 AMFYI payment at Gravelines is by debit/credit card in a machine. It has aways worked for me but some say it never works. I think that may be an excuse for not paying :-D.

Also FYI the payment machine is completely unattended and therefore a skimming crooks delight, these criminals are so clever now you would never know the machine had been tampered with, made me mad 'cos they still pay someone to go round checking that you've paid. I used to use Gravelines a lot but have moved to a more secure site now.

Guest JudgeMental
Losos - 2013-04-27 4:05 PM
Cliffy - 2013-04-21 12:14 AMFYI payment at Gravelines is by debit/credit card in a machine. It has aways worked for me but some say it never works. I think that may be an excuse for not paying :-D.

Also FYI the payment machine is completely unattended and therefore a skimming crooks delight, these criminals are so clever now you would never know the machine had been tampered with, made me mad 'cos they still pay someone to go round checking that you've paid. I used to use Gravelines a lot but have moved to a more secure site now.

Are you sure? It's not a cash machine you don't have to put your PIN number in?

• 3 months later...
The machine at Gravelines does need a credit card and pin number and it can be hard to make work. You need to push card right in as at first it seems it is blocked but wait a few seconds and it goes in. Agree many say does not work to avoid payment; to be fair last time we were there it was not working, paper had run out, but reported it to marie, and it was repaired so all could pay!! Regarding card being scanned then if you worry all the time about that then you will soon find more and more Aires you can not use and never buy fuel at automatic pumps at French supermarkets.

Surprised nobody mentioned Bray Dune Aire (N51º04.664' E2º30.932').

The Aire is a large square in the centre, five minute walk to beach, places to eat/drink just a few yards away, very quiet in the day and at night......and totally free! I usually stay there a couple of nights on both out and return trips.

Not far from the Ferry port and also worth calling in at the Auchan Hypermarket which is en route. Cheaper fuel there (though now only slightly less than UK prices) but worth tanking up.

Here in Poland i'm paying £1.05 - 1.10 a litre......the same price as last year. :D

robertandjean - 2013-08-01 1:25 PM

Agree many say does not work to avoid payment; to be fair last time we were there it was not working, paper had run out, but reported it to marie, and it was repaired so all could pay!! Regarding card being scanned then if you worry all the time about that then you will soon find more and more Aires you can not use and never buy fuel at automatic pumps at French supermarkets.

I take offence at the insinuation I am trying to avoid payment even though machine doesn't work.

Last time I tried with 2 different cards, my wife said I must be doing something wrong and went to try with her card but returned having failed.

The van parked next to machine was uk, they said they had lots of trouble but offered to use their card that finally worked. Unfortunately it didn't this time.

Soooo I can say categorically that the machine often does't work!

I am sure it must work sometimes but not consistently. I have used my cards all over the world from Patagonia to Katmandu with never any problems except at Gravelines (at least 5 times) and once on an Italian motorway.

Peter

Depending on your route you could try Bergues, it’s about 16 miles east of Dunkerque port. Take J16 off the A25, the parking is then about 500yds on the right. It’s a large tarmaced area. Parking is free and services are available at the municipal site - Camping Verdun - for €5 – take a shortcut (a couple of miles or so) through the town centre towards Hondschoote. Quite a lot of the old town walls are still intact and make for an interesting walk – a leaflet is available from the TIC in the bell tower on the town square.

We have used Bergues a few times, the last being in June of this year.

Cattwg :-D

I used Berques in June this year and all was fine. It's a nice flat area on an old shale football pitch by the local sports ground. Close by are supermarkets to fill up with last day shopping and fuel just watch out for height barrier at fuel station, we got a refill for our gas bottle a French Le Cube at the lowest price we have paid.

Site only half hour from Dunkirk port.

Have Fun.

peterjl - 2013-08-01 5:20 PM

robertandjean - 2013-08-01 1:25 PM

Agree many say does not work to avoid payment; to be fair last time we were there it was not working, paper had run out, but reported it to marie, and it was repaired so all could pay!! Regarding card being scanned then if you worry all the time about that then you will soon find more and more Aires you can not use and never buy fuel at automatic pumps at French supermarkets.

I take offence at the insinuation I am trying to avoid payment even though machine doesn't work.

Last time I tried with 2 different cards, my wife said I must be doing something wrong and went to try with her card but returned having failed.

The van parked next to machine was uk, they said they had lots of trouble but offered to use their card that finally worked. Unfortunately it didn't this time.

Soooo I can say categorically that the machine often does't work!

I am sure it must work sometimes but not consistently. I have used my cards all over the world from Patagonia to Katmandu with never any problems except at Gravelines (at least 5 times) and once on an Italian motorway.

Peter

Peter no offence intended as sure you are happy to pay but believe us many are not. When we reported fault to marie two Brits parked next to us were so unhappy they moved off, but it is certainly much better at Gravelines now as when free was always very crowded now better still plenty vans to give trade to town but easier to find a space. Sure there is nothing wrong with your card as like you we have used our card all over world and Gravelines is the most difficult card machine to make work we have come across.

Bullet guy yes Bray Dunes is O.K. but is not available in July and August as used by coaches. Bergues is a nice stopover as is also the aire by the windmill at Horndschoote.

robertandjean - 2013-08-02 3:40 PM

Bullet guy yes Bray Dunes is O.K. but is not available in July and August as used by coaches.

Easily solved! :D

Exit the Aire and turn left. A couple of hundred yards down the road bends. Right after the bend are a number of parking places. Very quiet and nobody will bother you. I've stayed there a couple of nights and the only reason I know about it is the first time I was looking for the Aire and thought that was it!

I don't quite get why folk are paying to overnight on an Aire when there are plenty of free ones.

Archived