Fiat X250 Wiring Fault and Cure.

Cattwg

I recently had a very intermittent fault on the off-side indicators – the front one would work, the dashboard repeat would work but the rear indicator would not. I checked the usual suspects - bulb, poor connection, fuse etc. but to no avail. The problem worsened yesterday when the key fob and separate alarm fob became ineffective. I eventually found a blown fuse in the alarm unit – changed it and all the faults cleared. All was OK – or so I thought!!

On rechecking that the fault was indeed cleared I saw that a different fault had manifested itself - neither of the indicators were working properly – a completely different problem.

Further investigation found that the wiring bundle from the doorjamb into the driver’s door had chaffed on the metal work. So much so that bare wires could be seen in two distinct areas – hence the blown fuse. I repaired this and covered the wiring bundle with plastic tubing.

I then checked the passenger side and again there were signs of chaffing; I resorted to the tubing again.

So, if you have any strange electrical faults that involve anything to do with the cab doors I suggest you check the wiring between the bodywork and the door. This may save you hours of frustration and/or a large auto electrician’s bill.

Cattwg :-D

Hello,

We had a similar repair required but from different symptoms!

The radio would intermittently shut itself off completely and only removing it, disconnecting it and re-fitting would cure it. One of the speaker wires was chaffing on the driver's door shut in much the same way as you describe.

Nick

Yes it does but the wires that pass through there can rub either side of the rubber sleeve!

Pretty silly design really.

OH!

Another top tip while these photo's are here courtesy of Colin;

From time to time check that the nuts on the door check strap are tight. They have a tendency to work loose over time.

euroserv - Pretty silly design really.

I must agree - in my book it's a design fault.

What makes it worse is that the rubber boot covers the wiring so I assumed that it was protected. It was only after I'd checked everything else I was drawn to this particular area by a (long) process of elimination.

Cattwg :-D

Archived