Serbia and Macedonia....anyone been?

Bulletguy

Been looking at touring through Serbia this year. Previous Insurance i've had has proved very restrictive in non-EU countries but am about to renew and so far found Scenic to be very helpful regarding 'outside the EU'.

They tell me they cover Serbia but I would need a Green Card which they issue free for Albania and Macedonia. However, looking around at other forums I read posts where people have had to pay as much as €140 for a Serbian Green Card as UK insurance or Green Card is 'not valid'.

Has anyone recently been in Serbia and if so did you have to pay over and above your 'normal' insurance or were you asked to purchase a 'Serbian Green Card'?

We went though serbia on our way to southern Turkey in 2009 and found it very expensive I think at the Border we had to pay about 200 euros for insurance and visa and we were only in the country six hours as we went strait though on the motorway which was also expensive , the country was very drab and looked poor having said that we did not see the country properly as we drove not stop though but i dont think we would every go again. We came back though Greece and then by ferry to southern italy and i would go back that way again as we found Turkey very nice and very very cheap. hope this helps.

Guest JudgeMental
you will never learn.....if you had asked about Torremolinos you would have had loads of answers! You have even managed to stump Crinkley:-D

cerro - 2013-04-26 11:27 AM

We went though serbia on our way to southern Turkey in 2009 and found it very expensive I think at the Border we had to pay about 200 euros for insurance and visa and we were only in the country six hours as we went strait though on the motorway which was also expensive , the country was very drab and looked poor having said that we did not see the country properly as we drove not stop though but i dont think we would every go again. We came back though Greece and then by ferry to southern italy and i would go back that way again as we found Turkey very nice and very very cheap. hope this helps.

BIB is strange as no Visa is required. You are allowed up to 90 days.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/serbia/entry-requirements

UK vehicle insurance is terribly restrictive by comparison to other countries. Last year I lost count of the number of Dutch travellers I came across whose insurance covered them to travel in many non-EU countries. It's something i've always found extremely frustrating.

This year I have finally found a company who will provide insurance cover for countries such as Serbia, Albania and Macedonia (just a Green card required for the last two which they issue FOC).

Serbia doesn't appear to have much in the way of Campsites but i'm not averse to a few days 'wilding' and Albania has even more Campsites than Bulgaria. Many ex-communist states can be drab in places though that has a certain appeal to me....Bulgaria has it's 'areas'.....but I wouldn't hesitate in going back there again which I may well be doing.

JudgeMental - 2013-04-26 12:04 PM

you will never learn.....if you had asked about Torremolinos you would have had loads of answers! You have even managed to stump Crinkley:-D

P*ssed up 'brits' staggering around with red beer bellies hanging out.......'British Pubs'......shops flogging tourist tat......no thanks! *-)

Not my ideal place to be. If I really wanted that kind of scene I can go to Blackpool! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Losos - 2013-04-27 3:56 PM
Bulletguy - 2013-04-27 12:22 AMIf I really wanted that kind of scene I can go to Blackpool! (lol)

Or Great Yarmouth !!!

YEAH!...Live a little! :D

JudgeMental - 2013-04-27 3:59 PM
Losos - 2013-04-27 3:56 PM
Bulletguy - 2013-04-27 12:22 AM If I really wanted that kind of scene I can go to Blackpool! (lol)

Or Great Yarmouth !!!

YEAH!...Live a little! :D
That's not living........that's self inflicted torture! :D

Archived