CC versus C&CC

Roy

Although a little tangential to the original topic I have been told by the people who run some of the CL’s/CS’s that I have either stayed at or enquired about that they do not care if I am a member of the associated club or not. Also I have not yet been asked to furnish any membership information at any that I have stayed at to date. If this trend continues for the remainder of my annual membership I may not even bother extending with either club next year.

[QUOTE]JohnP - 2006-08-02 12:31 AM A land owner can use ground for 28 nights of the year as a site for either rallies or general camping. After 28 days planning permission etc comes into play.[/QUOTE]

John

Do you happen to know if that is 28 consecutive nights, any 28 nights within any 365 day period or, if there is a break in the camping use, does another 28 nights potential use commence?

Also, do you happen to know if there is any restriction on the number of units that can be present, or is this unlimited.

Thanks

Brian

Brian On private land it is twenty eight nights in any year. The 28 could be consecutive or split throughout the year. You do not have to get formal permission to do this. You cannot use 28 nights, have a gap with no camping and then another 28 nights. Nor can you treat each adjacent field as a separate camping ground. However the rules may be somewhat different in the National Parks. The clubs hold exemption certificates for rallies. This limits the duration to 120 hours on the rally field. Over this time you have to get planning permission, which is done through the clubs. With a normal weekend rally of two nights, the land owner could have 14 rallies on his land in any one year.

Missed the bit about the number of units. As regards the number on a rally there is no limit other than complying with the recommended spacing of unit. For casual camping, I can see no restriction other than the 28 days maximum and am sure that the five van rule does not apply because you are not working under the CL/CS rules.

• 4 weeks later...
Latest information re CC CL updates shows that 11 CL's have closed down since last report. Wow.... 12 more have opened with an average price of over £8 peer night!! Wait for it.... 2 are priced at £10 per night but... 1 is priced at £12 per night!! Thin edge of the wedge or what? Roy.

[QUOTE]Frank - 2006-08-01 9:11 PM Although a little tangential to the original topic I have been told by the people who run some of the CL’s/CS’s that I have either stayed at or enquired about that they do not care if I am a member of the associated club or not. Also I have not yet been asked to furnish any membership information at any that I have stayed at to date. If this trend continues for the remainder of my annual membership I may not even bother extending with either club next year. [/QUOTE] It seems that the CCC may have cottoned on to this, we where put in a '28 day rule' field the other weekend

We have been members of C&CC forever it seems. Year after year we say we won't join again, but we have always enjoyed temporary holiday sites. Most of these have no facilites and are just a field. You basically park where you want and are left with loads of room around you. They are generally about £6 a night. We also use the DA meets, never the DA that we belong to as that is always to close to home. They are also around £6.We have stayed on a few CS's but haven't in the last year, they may have altered. The CS's we have been on have been just what we are looking for. A bit of waste land out the back, a beautiful manicured lawn with fish pond, a farmers field with a very friendly and chatty farmer to mention a few.None of these had toilets or showers and on all of them we were totally on our own. We are very sociable people but do like our space. We never book or phone.As with most peoples units they have all the facilities on board, and so they should for the cost of them, so if you require sites with toilets and showers why do you buy motorhomes and caravans already with those facilities, ask for them to be removed and a hefty discount. The down side of the C&CC is the price they charge for their club sites, which we do not use, its cheaper to go on a commercial site. As far as booking anything, forget it, we don't know where we want to go until we arrive. If the site don't like it then we just move on to the next place, no trouble. This of course is alright for motorhomers but perhaps not for caravanners.

In the latest Caravan Club magazine the update section for CL's show examples like one in Devon now charging £10 pn, Dorset £12 pn and Gwynedd at £10 pn. Each one had a 'toilet block' and elec hook ups but, it seems, the only advantage to motorhomes that want a no frills, quiet, place to stay is that they are limited to five vans. On the same page the lovely Rosedale Abbey site no longer has economy pitches after its' recent refurbishment. So, along with the gradual increase in CL's offering site facilities (and prices) there is also a gradual erosion of economy pitches on official sites. Regards, david

[QUOTE]david lloyd - 2006-08-30 9:27 AM In the latest Caravan Club magazine the update section for CL's show examples like one in Devon now charging £10 pn, Dorset £12 pn and Gwynedd at £10 pn. Each one had a 'toilet block' and elec hook ups but, it seems, the only advantage to motorhomes that want a no frills, quiet, place to stay is that they are limited to five vans. On the same page the lovely Rosedale Abbey site no longer has economy pitches after its' recent refurbishment. So, along with the gradual increase in CL's offering site facilities (and prices) there is also a gradual erosion of economy pitches on official sites. Regards, david[/QUOTE]

As this issue has come up quite often, and been the source of much debate, did you also notice in the same CC mag item, that the CLs mentioned all said how much their turnover had increased with the extra facilities.  With that extra turnover, of course, came the higher prices.  If you put yourself in the position of the site (or CL) oparator, the conclusion is fairly stark.

However much we may cherish the simple, no frills (or services) sites, I think they're a dying breed.  It's those market forces again!

David

I think the answer may have to be to pay the price - but then use the facilities.  After all, that way someone else gets the pleasure of cleaning the shower/toilet, and washing up (with lots of free hot water) can be quite a good opportunity for meeting the other inmates!  Just think, your gas will last longer, and you'll need to re-fill the water tank, and dispose of your waste/cassette contents less frequently as well!  It's not all bad!

Chin up!

Archived