Best route overland to Turkey

Planning to visit Turkey in 2014, in the past we have used the ferry from Italy to Greece then overland to the Turkish border, so this time we thought we might take the overland route. Has any one got suggested routes and stop-overs, we enjoy aires and free-camping but would also use sites.

Thanks and happy travelling.

I would stick to the Italy/Greek route, I went overland in 2009 but came back the Italy route and it is much better. the overland route we found very expensive in serbia bad roads in bulgaria and expensive. it is much better sticking to EU countrys

cerro - 2013-05-07 12:25 AM

I would stick to the Italy/Greek route, I went overland in 2009 but came back the Italy route and it is much better. the overland route we found very expensive in serbia bad roads in bulgaria and expensive. it is much better sticking to EU countrys

The last time I looked I thought Bulgaria is in the EU. For sure it will have bad roads. Been to Belgium recently?

Guest Had Enough
starvin marvin - 2013-05-07 11:58 AM

The last time I looked I thought Bulgaria is in the EU. For sure it will have bad roads. Been to Belgium recently?

He never said it wasn't! You maybe missed the reference to Serbia? Perhaps you can give us your non-sailing route to Turkey that only goes through E.U. countries? As for the roads, have you been to Bulgaria recently?

Had Enough - 2013-05-07 12:06 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-05-07 11:58 AM

He never said it wasn't! You maybe missed the reference to Serbia? Perhaps you can give us your non-sailing route to Turkey that only goes through E.U. countries? As for the roads, have you been to Bulgaria recently?

Our trip was France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania. All these countries are EU, but not Euro Zone. If you want to experience some rough roads, probably the worst this side of Aden, (or whatever it it called now) Romania takes some beating.

ps, not been to Aden recently.

Agreed, Romania is one to avoid if you don't want to shake your 'van to bits.

And shaking your 'van to bits is actually the preferred option as trying to drive on any of the few 'decently' surfaced roads is just death waiting to happen. 40 tonners with drivers on mobiles overtaking blind into oncoming traffic is perfectly normal.

Never seen so many abandoned cars with one or more wheels completely sheared off in my life...

Archived