FIAT headlamps and brakes

Keith T

for some time we have had water ingress (condensation)showing on the nearside headlamp of the 2007 Fiat Burstner. Usually by this time of year it has dried out, but not so this year - most likely as it is not now now standing wher the sun shines on it first thing in the morning.

Have today had the annual service and MOT and whilst no comment (not even and 'advisory') was made on the MOT, the service log suggests we should get the whole unit changed.

I know there has been some comment on this previoulsy on the forum, and wonder if anyone has actually had this done. As far as I can se there is no actual rusting on the internal reflector, merelycondenstaion on the back of the glass..

The cost quoted to me was around £200 for the unit, and about £100 labour (both inc VAT), this bye the main FIAT agent down here.

Any comments on this pricing, is it about the right/ best figure.

Also front brakespads, they say are 70% worn - again not an MOT item, but service recommendation. Cost quoted for discs and pads replaced was around £450 inc VAT....is this realistic- again from the main FIAT service Dealer/agent here. Is this something which it is worth looking around at other factors like National Tyres/Kwickfit/ATS or similar?

The headlight condensation is a regular issue on these models, I'd try putting some silica gel packets into the rear of the housing first. £100 labour to replace the headlamp is a bit high as its a fifteen minute job to swap each side.

Brake pads worn by 70% hmmm, are they near their minimum thickness? doubtful. Are the discs worn to minimum thickness? doubtful if this is the first set of pads. Modern brake pads are more abrasive than the old asbestos based ones but discs usually last for twice as long as the pads (unless they are badly pitted by rust). £450 for front discs and pads does seem a tad high, we can replace all four discs and pads for less than that usually.

D.

I think the F in Fiat main dealers stands for fanatsy! £450 for 2 hours top to change all the pads, I would take this on any day. This is typical main dealer overpricing, so go to Kwikfit, local commercial garage and get a quote. Relating to a previous post this does not require the magical expertise of the main dealer

Keith T - 2013-05-07 10:21 PM

for some time we have had water ingress (condensation)showing on the nearside headlamp of the 2007 Fiat Burstner. Usually by this time of year it has dried out, but not so this year - most likely as it is not now now standing wher the sun shines on it first thing in the morning.

Have today had the annual service and MOT and whilst no comment (not even and 'advisory') was made on the MOT, the service log suggests we should get the whole unit changed.

I know there has been some comment on this previoulsy on the forum, and wonder if anyone has actually had this done. As far as I can se there is no actual rusting on the internal reflector, merelycondenstaion on the back of the glass..

The cost quoted to me was around £200 for the unit, and about £100 labour (both inc VAT), this bye the main FIAT agent down here.

Any comments on this pricing, is it about the right/ best figure.

Also front brakespads, they say are 70% worn - again not an MOT item, but service recommendation. Cost quoted for discs and pads replaced was around £450 inc VAT....is this realistic- again from the main FIAT service Dealer/agent here. Is this something which it is worth looking around at other factors like National Tyres/Kwickfit/ATS or similar?

Hi Keith

We had the same problem with our 2006 model. OH took light off, dried it out thoughly , and then resealed it round the edge, been OK since

PJay

Hang on a minute!

Brake pads: 70% worn equates to 30% remaining!

I assume they are still the original pads, so at your present wear-rate it's going to take something like ANOTHER 3 YEARS to get them down to the wear indicators.

There is, IMHO, utterly, utterly and again utterly no reason or logic in changing pads with 30% wear still remaining in them (unless they are very very old and degrading because of that ancient age).

But even if you were sucked in by this utterly flagrant attempt to rip you off by doing completely un-necessary work at stratospheric parts and labour rates; it's possibly the simplest DIY job you could do on your vehicle.

It's roughly a ten-minute-per-side job to swop them yourself, if a trolley jack is available.

If you don't fancy DIY, just take it to any DIY-handy mate, or a tyre/brake quickfit type outfit in a couple of years when they are worn to maybe 10% remaining (and thus actually could do with changing!), and watch how quick and easy it is to do.

Guest JudgeMental
You can get a headlight lfor £100 and as Dave says takes about 15 mins to change, come back and ask on here and we wil talk you through it if you decide to DIY. Brakes? just get a local chap to do it *-)

Good old main dealer prices.

We had condensation in our X250 headlamps the first couple of years not noticed it since then. If you really want to change the lights it really is a simple job as others have said, had mine out for other jobs literally takes minutes. Providing you are fit and able brake pads are easy to change.

Archived