Considering selling up

Jackal

After a number of years motorhoming around Europe, we're emigrating.

We don't really want to sell up but given that our initial contract is for two years but we may well stay longer and we'd prefer not to sell our pride and joy, we were wondering what people thought about putting our Hymer into storage? Or, if indeed there are alternatives to putting it into storage, such as renting it out for the summer months?

Alternatively, as our van is LHD can anyone reccommend a dealer who may be able to give us a decent price? I'd consider taking over to France or Belgium over the May half-term if it meant I could get a better price, so links to dealers over there might prove handy.

Many thanks for any advice.

If you are emigrating, and like touring around Europe, I'm not sure I see why you are not taking a LHD motorhome with you. (?)

I wouldn't fancy renting out my " pride and joy " personally - as I'm sure the users would not treat it as well as I would. Could be quite expensive too, insurance-wise.

Jackal - 2013-05-10 12:44 PM

And I doubt if we'd get the van to Hong Kong.

[

/QUOTE]

Well of course if you'd mentioned that you were going to Hong Kong, it would have been obvious why you are not taking the van.

As the judge has stated, probably over priced. Have you tried MMM and Practical Motorhome, even exchange and Mart ( does it still exsist?) as you can't take it with you, no point in placing in storage for a minimum of 2 years, as would depriciate any way, and you would have to insure it and pay for storage, so cut your loss and price it TO SELL

PJay

Guest pelmetman
If I've discovered anything about vehicles over the years..............its that they don't like not being used ;-)..........so I'd sell even if you have to take a hit 8-)............as what you lose you'll probably save on storage costs :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-05-10 4:23 PM

If I've discovered anything about vehicles over the years..............its that they don't like not being used ;-)..........so I'd sell even if you have to take a hit 8-)............as what you lose you'll probably save on storage costs :D

I can only concur with Dave, can you keep it insured while you're away would probably be one major problem in any event, but everything left unmoving, a recipe for trouble at a later date, maybe I'm paranoid but I never leave my van longer than a couple of weeks without a spin around the block.

Also it's a left hooker, in the UK they are always a good deal less in value, embrace your new life, get rid at any price, do you really need the hassle of doing otherwise ? I know I wouldn't ;-)

But I would add only this week I was talking to a garage that exclusively does service and pre-prep work for a major M/home dealer in the midlands,and he said they had a very poor year last year, but this year is even worse, so something to think about, maybe a commision deal with a major dealer may be worth a punt.

Oh please...

Tried ebay for three months and the CC for another two.

And I doubt if we'd get the van to Hong Kong.

If yours is the £31K '07 model onbaybal, I think it may be a bit too expensive for a LHD. Also, it islargishish van, so you'll need to find someone who needs the space and wants LHD. Not easy.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Not sure what neck of the woods you are, but this company near Telford sells many left hookers, and mighty big vans, might be worth giving them a call for a cash deal, we went there once in case our numbers ever came up.

http://www.travelworldrv.co.uk/

Where are you emigrating, just curious?

Just over 10 years ago we were in Oz for a year, I had a job there and left the car back here for when we returned. We nearly stayed there but came back. The car had been left with my brother who cared for it very well. Sadly though, he stored it at his business and the once in 50 year scenario happened. The local river flooded 100 yards away and the car was flooded as well. Needless to say, 6 months after returning we had to sell it.

If we had the time again, I would sell any vehicle :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 12:23 PM

Heavens.....Just sell it! stick it on ebay it will go quick if realistically priced

Oh please...Tried ebay for three months and the CC for another two.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 12:58 PM

then its overpriced...

JM's right on this one Jackal.

That's a very long time for it to be on eBay and unless you drop your price or put it on with a 'best offer' facility, you won't sell. Whatever price you are after you have to ask yourself 'how many people have that disposable amount sitting in a Bank account'? Apart from newly retired, not that many.

Alternatively you are left with hacking it in to a Dealer......and taking a bigger hit than you would if you dropped your price and advertised it to sell rather than how much you'd like for it.

Hawcara - 2013-05-10 8:00 PM

Where are you emigrating, just curious?

Just over 10 years ago we were in Oz for a year, I had a job there and left the car back here for when we returned. We nearly stayed there but came back. The car had been left with my brother who cared for it very well. Sadly though, he stored it at his business and the once in 50 year scenario happened. The local river flooded 100 yards away and the car was flooded as well. Needless to say, 6 months after returning we had to sell it.

If we had the time again, I would sell any vehicle :-D

Op said , he is taking a job in Hong Kong for two years, not really emigrating, to my mind

malc d - 2013-05-10 2:50 PM
Jackal - 2013-05-10 12:44 PM And I doubt if we'd get the van to Hong Kong.

Well of course if you'd mentioned that you were going to Hong Kong, it would have been obvious why you are not taking the van.

Why assume we're emigrating to Europe and could take the van, FFS?

You are Eddie II and I claim my £5.

Dearie, dearie me!

Hi Jackal,

As an option to selling or paying storage do you not have family or friend who will take over the van for a couple of years keeping it in use ,paying running costs and having the benefit of usage themselves.

I say this as if you were prepared to put it in storage you must not need the money at the moment.

You could review the position after say 12 months.

cheers

derek

Jackal - 2013-05-11 8:45 AM

I didn't assume you were emigrating to Europe.

You've done a lot of driving ' on the right ' around Europe - and there a lot of countries around the world where they drive on the right ( most of them I should think ) -

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-05-11 3:49 PM

Jackal - 2013-05-11 8:45 AM

I didn't assume you were emigrating to Europe.

You've done a lot of driving ' on the right ' around Europe - and there a lot of countries around the world where they drive on the right ( most of them I should think ) -

Its so nice to be able to try and help some folk. :D I think his less than favorable response to a suggestion to try Ebay said it all. ;-) why do we bother comes to mind sometimes.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2013-05-11 5:03 PM

Jackal - 2013-05-11 8:38 AM

Anyone with any recommendations for dealers in Belgium or France?

Belgium Hymer dealer Campirama

seconded!

plus another 3 Belgian dealers worth a call

http://www.lambrechtmotorhomes.be/nl/index.php (ask for Joe)

http://www.alphamotorhomes.be

http://www.urbano.be.

By the way its not emigrating, your being posted or taking up a contract position...Still think ebay the best bet*-)

Oh here we go...

What part of "tried ebay for three months and the CC for two" didn't you understand?

Thanks for the shout about the place in Telford mind, I will definitely give them a bell, if we don't put it in storage or have a favourable response from Belgium or France.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-11 5:13 PM
lennyhb - 2013-05-11 5:03 PM
Jackal - 2013-05-11 8:38 AMAnyone with any recommendations for dealers in Belgium or France?
Belgium Hymer dealer Campirama
seconded!plus another 3 Belgian dealers worth a callhttp://www.lambrechtmotorhomes.be/nl/index.php (ask for Joe)http://www.alphamotorhomes.behttp://www.urbano.be.By the way its not emigrating, your being posted or taking up a contract position...Still think ebay the best bet*-)

Thanks for the links, I will definitely try them

As for the semantics of emigrating, do me a favour and leave that to me, hey?

We're neither being posted or taking up a contract position, so just stick to the OP.

Storage, alternative to storage or dealer in Belgium/France?

Many thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Jackal - 2013-05-11 6:08 PMOh here we go...

What part of "tried ebay for three months and the CC for two" didn't you understand?

Thanks for the shout about the place in Telford mind, I will definitely give them a bell, if we don't put it in storage or have a favourable response from Belgium or France.

Speaking as someone who is very attached to their van ;-)...........and money is no object in looking after it..........I'd go for undercover storage, jack the van up so its no longer resting on its rubber, bin the batteries, and make sure everything is empty ;-).........as in water food etc otherwise you might get mice *-)

Archived