Scooters and storage capability

arthur49

Any body with scooter experience have one with the capability to store 2 helmets securely ie under seat or in a topbox or another solution?

Looking at buying a scooter - haven't ridden a bike for 40 years mind you.......full licence so in theory could ride a BEAST of a bike>:-) ! - but don't fancy carrying helmets round with us when sightseeing on foot

Arthur

Guest pelmetman
jonsea - 2013-05-11 5:37 PM

yamaha x max 250cc nice ride plenty of storage under seat john

Are you still at Lo Monte John?........or are you back in Blighty? :D

We've got a Honda Innova 125cc, and I've fitted an old secondhand but functional Givi "Maxia" 55 litre top box to the rear rack. I got it for about 5 quid from the Spanish equivalent of a car-boot sale.

Loads of room inside that for our two open-face helmets plus gloves, lightweight waterproof jackets, waterproof trouser too..........or just helmets plus shopping.

Kathy also likes it as it acts as a backrest for her on the pillion seat.

arthur49 - 2013-05-11 5:13 PM

Any body with scooter experience have one with the capability to store 2 helmets securely ie under seat or in a topbox or another solution?

Looking at buying a scooter - haven't ridden a bike for 40 years mind you.......full licence so in theory could ride a BEAST of a bike>:-) ! - but don't fancy carrying helmets round with us when sightseeing on foot

Arthur

Honda Vision will easily carry one under the seat, just buy a Givi top box and you can then carry two full face if required.

We too have a Honda vision, one helmet under seat other in top box. There is also a handy hook under handlebars to take an extra shopping bag. We have the Vision 110, 110cc, 105kg. Would have liked a bigger more powerful bike, but they weigh too much. The 110 Vision is a good compromise, light, good storage space and just about powerful enough for two. We (26 stone) can cruise along at 50mph, but do slow down uphill, down to 30mph once, uphill to the the Carn Gorm mountain railway base station (6th highest mountain in Britain!!..... My first bike and ride for 40 years too. The vision also has an in built wheel lock, which makes it a little bit more difficult to wheel off / steal. If looking at new, haggle with price. We got around £400 of clothing and top box included for free.....Currently at Scone ccc near Perth.

Ian

The Honda Innova is 125cc, 4 speed semi-automatic gearbox, will cruise at 60mph two-up, has proper big 17 inch wheels for stability, sells by the million (literally) all across Asia; and weighs in at only about 103 kgs.

Simples.

Most of the, now traditional shaped scooters have storage for a helmet under the seat and a device for locking the other helmet strap to the scoot, extra storage is usually a top box, which serves as a back rest for nervous pillion passengers.

We have sold our scoot having each come off separately on diesel slicks and my wife getting knocked off by a driver in Calais. We have found, to our cost, that you heal very slowly once sixty years of age looms.

Our bicycles may lower our sight seeing radios but has the benefit of keeping our joints oiled.

BGD - 2013-05-12 1:40 AM

The Honda Innova is 125cc, 4 speed semi-automatic gearbox, will cruise at 60mph two-up, has proper big 17 inch wheels for stability, sells by the million (literally) all across Asia; and weighs in at only about 103 kgs.

Simples.

I recall twist grip gear changing and lever clutch in same hand!

I'm assuming semi auto means no clutch and hand or foot lever or pedal to change gear?

Arthur

arthur49 - 2013-05-12 10:13 AM

BGD - 2013-05-12 1:40 AM

Simples.

I recall twist grip gear changing and lever clutch in same hand!

I'm assuming semi auto means no clutch and hand or foot lever or pedal to change gear?

Arthur

Yep, foot change. We had an Innova for three years and it is a good bike but the vision is better. The Innova, to me, has a few problems, tank is to small, seat was not great and after about twenty miles feels like it is working its way up your backside. The semi auto bit i hated, either provide a clutch or make it fully auto, very hard to get smooth uphill down changes with this arrangement. Not sure how Bruce gets 60mph two up, must be a supercharged one, we have a combined weight of 20 stone and it struggled at 50mph. Still it did us reliable service over 3000 miles, never broke and despite what i have said would recommend one, just the Vision is much better.

We have a Piaggio X Evo 250ie which will fit one helmet under the seat and another in the "boot". If you also fit the "swing away" top box you could get a third in there (not sure you could get three on the bike). The 125cc and 400cc versions also can do this trick. The bike is very comfortable on longer journeys but heavy so we trail ours.

rupert123 - 2013-05-12 4:11 PM

laimeduck - 2013-05-12 3:10 PM

Sachs MadAss 125cc. 100Kg, 55mph, 100mpg, very thin, not tall (lives in MH garage), No tank? (fuel in frame), no storage!

You would need two though unless both very small and thin.

Not at all, pillion seat is ample for Mrs L'AimeDuck, and we have a rack on the back for shopping etc. Will soon fit a top box so she can lean back!

madass.jpg.b9bb88a62f164f9c3f6b3ffcbe487ccc.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Dont know about Madass :-S .................but I'd me more worried about a burnt ass judging by where that exhaust is 8-)

onecal - 2013-05-13 12:01 AM

Hi 

Have a look at the Honda s wing 125,,,,,it should fit the bill for you. 
Regards,
Brendan

Lovely bike, but at £4,000 it is a lot more than the Honda Vision at £1,7000, and the Vision has larger wheels..... But it probably reflects Japan vs China quality.

Really usefull thread, does anyone have any thoughts about how much passenger weight these small machines can carry?

I've had CG on a diet for years but our combined weight is getting on for 29 stones, and she is unlikely to lose much more. There is also the need to have something that won't look too foolish when ridden by a 6'3" bloke who weighs over 18 stone. We are both experienced riders, and our last bike was a Yamaha Dragstar, but you can't put one of those on the back of an old Hymer.

AGD

Ipetchey - 2013-05-13 9:35 AM

onecal - 2013-05-13 12:01 AM

Hi 

Have a look at the Honda s wing 125,,,,,it should fit the bill for you. 
Regards,
Brendan

Lovely bike, but at £4,000 it is a lot more than the Honda Vision at £1,7000, and the Vision has larger wheels..... But it probably reflects Japan vs China quality.

It also weighs 156kg.

Archived