#Bloody Cyclists!

Symbol Owner

Several articles recently, concerning what is increasingly being seen as a 'war' between motorists and cyclists :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22614569

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17914504

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8325212/Cyclists-rage-over-open-season-rant

What do you all think? All of us are motorists, many of us ride, or have ridden bicycles -- is there a war going on?

Cheers,

Colin.

Not as far as I am concerned.

I give them as wide a berth as I can and as most of them are decent sensible folk with no agenda of their own they appreciate that - just the odd one or two who like to be as obstructive as they can but thankfully they - unlike bolshy drivers - are quite rare.

Live and let live.

You are lucky, over there in King's Lynn, Richard, the lycra-clad 'spacemen' seem to be getting more and more agressive round here -- 'assertive' riding may well be a good defensive/protective way of keeping safe, but the dangerous law-breaking cyclists who attempt to ride me down on pavements ( or when I am walking/fishing on a canal bank) or ride through traffic lights whch are against them -- well I can't really disagree with those who term them 'vermin' or other such delightful expressions! The 'tweeter' who knocked a bloke off his bike and then boasted about it deserves her 'comeuppance' though!

Colin.

I do find the arrogance of cyclists on shared footpath/cycleways who refuse to fit or use a warning bell or slow down when they come up behind you silently at speed pretty irritating - and I have been known to pass those feelings on to the offenders for their lack of consideration!

Sure thing, Rich, -- you and I are not the only ones to think that!

"There's "huge antipathy" between people on bikes and in cars, says motoring journalist Quentin Willson.

"We've got a minority of cyclists and car drivers who are aggressive," he says. "It results in a war of attrition between two and four wheels."

Today it is perhaps less politically correct to attack cyclists than drivers - but anecdotally many will privately curse cyclists passing them in traffic congestion.

Screengrab from Twitter The #bloodycyclists hashtag was largely hijacked by the two-wheeled community

John Griffin, boss of minicab firm Addison Lee, has argued that the roads were now too busy to allow anyone with a bike to use them. "It is time for us to say to cyclists, 'You want to join our gang, get trained and pay up'."

Willson is sympathetic to the plight of cyclists. But an aggressive minority have become a metaphor for everything drivers hate. "They're dressed exclusively in lycra and wraparound shades, they ride on the pavement, go the wrong way down one way streets and straight through red lights. And that's why motorists hate them".

And, like you 'Tracker'- I cannot see why they don't use a warning device -- my bike always had a bell on it!

Colin.

Symbol Owner - 2013-05-22 3:46 PM

What do you all think? All of us are motorists, many of us ride, or have ridden bicycles -- is there a war going on?

Cheers,

Colin.

I believe there is some sort of problem in some cities.

Fortunately I don't live in one, so I've not had a problem, either in the car or on the bike.

Nearest I've come to being hit by a bike was alongside a Burgundy canal where I was nearly mown down by a couple of " cyclists " on electric bikes.

:-D

Back in 60's when we lived in Jersey all bikes carried a registration number so the owner could be traced and brought to task for their behaviour - so why don't we do the same - paid for at cost by the cyclists of course.

I can see the Green's liking that idea!

When I walk my dogs along the path to their exercise field the, council in their wisdom have painted a white line down the centre and called one side a cycle path its only about 5ft wide in total and some of our 2wheeled friends ride downhill at speeds of aprox.20mph endangering all pedestrians and the abuse if you dare to encroach on their proclaimed part is disgusting. To make maters worse I'm deaf so can't hear them coming even if they had bells. One that I did stop was wearing a uniform he was a copper but at least he understood my feelings and apologised. John *-) :-S

malc d - 2013-05-22 5:16 PM

Nearest I've come to being hit by a bike was alongside a Burgundy canal where I was nearly mown down by a couple of " cyclists " on electric bikes.

Flippin' 'eck Malc - a Burgundy canal - I know they have a lot of wine in France but as far as I was aware it only comes in bottles!!

Archived