Awning

degsy

Before we set off on holiday this summer in our Morello we are considering buying an awning. We have a canopy but would like to 'spread out' a little more, and leave table chairs etc when we go out for the day. I'm looking for one that is not too big, lightweight, easy to put up and compact for storage.

There seems to be quite a lot of choice but I thought i'd ask forum members for their views/experience before deciding.

Thank you

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm with Eddie on this one, mind you we rarely use the wind out awning either. I cannot imagine the sheer inconvenience of setting of for the day, only to be constrained by the need to return to the same place because I'd left a tent their. Loads for sale second hand, perhaps that tells you something. ;-)

Guest pelmetman

We have two :D...........plus a gazebo ;-)...............it all depends on your camper vanning habits :-S ................if you are in your first flush of motorhoming then you'll be on the move all the time...............been there done that B-)

If your'e like me and turn a subtle shade of lobster in Johnny foreigners sun 8-).............then the wind out is ideal :D...................but if you decide you like this spot and want to stay a while so a little space would be nice ;-)..................that's when a proper awning is worth its weight :-D

We now we have every option awning wise, and plan our trips accordingly..............except for the trailer sailor and the granny annex...................but I'm working on it (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Cliffy - 2013-05-26 10:24 PM

For what they cost and weigh I would get a full set of screens from Lilypad Leisure and see how you go with them before you get a full awning.

Oh yeah I forgot :D...................we have those as well......... ;-)

Its old hat,re written many times over. But do as you want to do?

Get an awning,use it,then decide...?

Just back [we travelled a little further on] from Newbury..

We pull up..kettle goes on..that's it!![ Our last Van had an Awning,[We used it only once in 3 years..too busy seeing the sights,visiting pubs and shows]

The next vehicle wound out awning,put up side bits.Took them down because of the wind. Put up wind breaks[2 lots] Lots of pegs and straps.I could go but wont!!

BBQ out..Chairs,Table..They took some 2 hours plus in making themselves comfortable??

I know it was 2 hours cos I went round the showground and returned for tea..?

Some of us need our "home"comforts,some don't.Make your own mind up!!

Its a "lifestyle choice"

By the way.I thought I.spotted "Tracker" at the show? I was going to go over and make an intro..but the missus said no it cant be.."he looks so young"...????

Guest pelmetman
cheetahdavie - 2013-05-28 12:34 AM

By the way.I thought I.spotted "Tracker" at the show? I was going to go over and make an intro..but the missus said no it cant be.."he looks so young"...????

Nah :D..............Its that plug in his hand ;-)..............gives him away everytime (lol) (lol)

degsy - 2013-05-26 1:00 PMBefore we set off on holiday this summer in our Morello we are considering buying an awning. We have a canopy but would like to 'spread out' a little more, and leave table chairs etc when we go out for the day. I'm looking for one that is not too big, lightweight, easy to put up and compact for storage. There seems to be quite a lot of choice but I thought i'd ask forum members for their views/experience before deciding. Thank you

We had a Sun Camp Awning on our Hymer, great bit of kit, we never used it much only if we were  staying on a Rally for   a few nights, ,we wild camp most of the time so it was impractical for that,  we have now  downsized our van and the Awning no longer fits, I will get round to selling it sometime, it is as new, I will try to attach a photo.  

php6lAe4oAM.jpg.914b47d0b605357b0972496380715d74.jpg

Thanks for all your reponses, some things to consider for and against.

We have been motorcaravaning for many years now and I guess we've slowed down a bit and don't wish to move on every couple of days, particularly if we come across an interesting place. That's when we like to 'spread out' , take it easy, relax in the sun (usually in France or Italy), go cycling and so on and we thought a small awning might be useful in these instances.

So we'll see.

Thanks again.

After being a tugger for many years and using both full and porch awnings, we thought we would need a drive-away awning to use mainly as a wet room at dog shows most weekends. However we seem to only need our drive-away when we have visitors at Galas etc, which is not very often.

Anyway this is how we tend to use ours, attached to the canopy.

photo0216_001.thumb.jpg.b6555f2ed652c0f51eaa7d8c400bdc9b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Archived