Towed car snaking with a frame

bikey

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2013-07-07 9:32 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 9:07 AM

laimeduck - 2013-07-06 11:02 PM

Bolly1965 - 2013-07-06 9:24 PM

BTW, when I rule the world, anyone found wearing Crocks will be shot! LOL

I will happily be alongside you with extra ammo clips to make sure we get them all!

So what do you suggest I wear on a pebble beach.....what peculiar people.( just bought some new non slip ones from Lidl :-( )

Perfect for walking across wet grass, and avoiding catching a verruca from the showers.

The new ones have dimples inside so in theory prevent your foot sliding around, which can be very uncomfortable when wet.... :-D

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave Newell - 2013-07-07 11:03 AM

pepe63 - 2013-07-07 9:28 AM

Is it this one?..

(..if that doesn't work just type "A frame reversing into Youtube and select the Smart-Tow link).

Thanks for correcting the link. As the motorhome pulls away forwards at the end you can see the smart rocking from side to side quite violently.

D.

Oh yeah..I hadn't noticed that....The steering wheel can be seen having a right hissy fit! 8-)

I'd never really given them(A frames)much thought before(..I'd just assumed they "worked" but were a legal "grey area")...but having seen that video, they clearly don't work properly.... *-)

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-07-07 11:45 AM

Dave Newell - 2013-07-07 11:03 AM

pepe63 - 2013-07-07 9:28 AM

Is it this one?..

(..if that doesn't work just type "A frame reversing into Youtube and select the Smart-Tow link).

Thanks for correcting the link. As the motorhome pulls away forwards at the end you can see the smart rocking from side to side quite violently.

D.

Oh yeah..I hadn't noticed that....The steering wheel can be seen having a right hissy fit! 8-)

I'd never really given them(A frames)much thought before(..I'd just assumed they "worked" but were a legal "grey area")...but having seen that video, they clearly don't work properly.... *-)

Blimey...Smart tow...Yeah right!lol May as well pull it along sideways poor likle ting :D

Guest JudgeMental
Dave Newell - 2013-07-07 11:53 AM

What I find most amazing about that video is it was put up by a company to advertise a frames, doesn't do a great job in my opinion.

D.

Yeah but!...Its pretty obvious from conversations on here, people see what they want to see to justify a choice....Most have not a clue what's going on behind as they sit up front! *-)

I will happily be alongside you with extra ammo clips to make sure we get them all!

So what do you suggest I wear on a pebble beach.....what peculiar people.( just bought some new non slip ones from Lidl :-( )

Canvas shos are acceptable - sandals with socks most definitely not ;-)

Have to agree - that video would put me off too! Although in an emergency I guess it wouldn't hurt too much. I doubt they'd have managed it if they were reversing up a slight incline rather than down one and I wonder how mant takes it took to get that to work

Not quite sure why that particular video was chosen, other than to support the posters own views and comments.

This video shows reversing done with a different tow car and is under complete control - the reversing bit is quite some way through the video.

So it can be done, as with anything practice and skill may be required. ;-)

Edit - wrong link Doh!

neilmac - 2013-07-07 12:52 PM

Not quite sure why that particular video was chosen, other than to support the posters own views and comments.

This video shows reversing done with a different tow car and is under complete control - the reversing bit is quite some way through the video.

So it can be done, as with anything practice and skill may be required. ;-)

Well, I can't speak for anyone one else but I "chose" it because it was the first video that came up when I typed "A frame reversing" into You tube.

..and if you can't trust the "validity" of a video uploaded by the A frame manufacturer, then who's can you trust?... ;-)

That Pug 106 in your video does seem to behave better than the Smart Car...Would/could that be down to the longer wheel base I wonder?(..although I wouldn't mind betting that it'd be far more complex than that... )

Having said that, he does only seem to be meandering vaguely around an empty car park...and not reversing into a side street, as in the "Smart" video..

pepe63

Well, I can't speak for anyone one else but I "chose" it because it was the first video that came up when I typed "A frame reversing" into You tube.

Sorry pepe63 but I didn't think you 'chose' it, you just corrected the link?

Guest JudgeMental
Bolly1965 - 2013-07-07 12:31 PM

I kind agree in principle...a fashion for par to be sure to be sure..BUT! being a redhead (au naturel) and a diabetic...afraid under these circumstances fashion comes second! :D

neilmac - 2013-07-07 1:46 PM

pepe63

Sorry pepe63 but I didn't think you 'chose' it, you just corrected the link?

I chose it because it clearly demonstrates the effect that the op started this thread about, thought that was pretty obvious.

D.

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 2:07 PM

I kind agree in principle...a fashion for par to be sure to be sure..BUT! being a redhead (au naturel) and a diabetic...afraid under these circumstances fashion comes second! :D

Ohh & anyone wearing Crocs AND/OR Jogging bottoms get hung drawn & quartered! :D

Guest JudgeMental
laimeduck - 2013-07-07 2:40 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 2:07 PM

Ohh & anyone wearing Crocs AND/OR Jogging bottoms get hung drawn & quartered! :D

this all the rage in Russia and on southern beaches.....

MankiniAd1(1).jpg.2adac63b1dd0705aad54ab52f48dd48b.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Anyway...the Lidl crocs with non slip nipples cost £3.99!

Oh! golly gosh I guess thats advertising isn't it?:-S

So.... I guess the mods may well pull this thread, what a shame! :D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 10:24 PM

Anyway...the Lidl crocs with non slip nipples cost £3.99!

Oh! golly gosh I guess thats advertising isn't it?:-S

So.... I guess the mods may well pull this thread, what a shame! :D

I don't think your 'advert' will get this pulled Eddie, but the 'mankini' picture might ... especially if you post one of a rear view! 8-)

Looking at the picture though, it would appear that mankini's could make very good sling-shots or catapults!!! :$ :D

Mel B - 2013-07-07 11:01 PM....................Looking at the picture though, it would appear that mankini's could make very good sling-shots or catapults!!! :$ :D

I had to avert my eyes but, if used as Mel suggests. I do wonder what might be used as ammunition! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-09 12:06 AM

Mel B - 2013-07-07 11:01 PM....................Looking at the picture though, it would appear that mankini's could make very good sling-shots or catapults!!! :$ :D

I had to avert my eyes but, if used as Mel suggests. I do wonder what might be used as ammunition! :-D

For a warning shot then shelled hard boiled eggs would be the softer option, for something a bit more menacing these could be followed by raw sprouts, and for doing real damage walnuts - all of these seem to be items with the most appropriate 'consistency' for what the mankini was meant to 'hold' originally! 8-) :$ :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I have had the same problem,I towed the smart car behind 23 foot motorhome.The day I was taking the motorhome to part exchange,the wheels oscillated madly whilst making a sharp right turn,I,m sure I,d gone over a small bump or hole in the road.This had never happened before as I had towed it on and off over a year.Anyway I pick up the new motorhome which is 26foot and the oscillating happened several times.Each time it happened I was doing less than a walking pace speed.I found if you go a lot more quicker on turning it does,nt happen.But truly not desirable turning quickly.Looking at what other,s have written I truly don,t know the answer.I don,t think it,s down to the overhang of the motorhome as I have said it happened on the old motorhome,the new vehicle has an even bigger overhang.The Smart car had just been serviced and MOT,d.I looked at the tow frame and there is no movement in it.Lowered tyre pressure on front wheels of car.That did,nt help.The car drives perfectly,no vibrations, drift, steering wheel centrer,s .I would like some possitive feedback if possible,I,m not interested in the politics of the A frame.Incidently I have been in touch with the makers of the A frame who say they have only ever heard of it once before!! Seem,s lthere are a few more out there.Don,t wish to name A frame maker as maybe I could get into trouble.At the end of the day it,s got to be the car surely? :-(

"At the end of the day it,s got to be the car surely?"

Well yes I suppose it has to be the car but it might be because the car is being used in a way it was not designed to be used.

Interestingly you say it did it once on your old motorhome but you noticed it several times with your new motorhome which has a longer overhang. this could suggest the overhang does have some bearing on the effect in question.

D.

I have come late to this thread and getting bored jumped from the first to last page so apologies if this possibility has already been aired.

When a cars steering travels rapidly from one lock to the other the steering wheel spins at a fair old rate and in effect becomes a flywheel. In fact if unrestrained the the whole steering assembly bangs hard against the steering stops. I suspect that what is happening in this case is the energy stored in the flywheel continues winding lock on even when the tug has straightend up fighting the normal castoring action and as a result when lock is reversed it plays catch up adding even more energy into the system sustaining the wobble. Friction helps to damp the effect but in some cases it might become so violent mechanical failure occurs in the weakest link.

As has been found, the only way to end the sequence is to stop and start again. I would expect it could be prevented by reducing the rate of cornering as this reduces the rate of energy build up.

On most cars the steering wheel makes between 2-3 turns lock to lock. While attaching a bungee cord to the steering wheel would aid self centering most of the time I would expect the cord would get tied up in knots during sharp turns.

As Dave Newell said, the steering is being asked to cope with circumstances the car designer almost certainly never took into consideration.

Its back to the basics , that is the driver has to consider all the circumstances including adapting to the characteristics of the vehicle.

The best driving advice ever given to me was, if you feel the vehicle is getting beyond your ability to control it SLOW DOWN. Its kept me on the road almost accident free for over 50 years. There was always someone else involved in the two or three I had.

Archived