x2/50 2.3 2000miles with a duff EGR valve

colin

peter - 2013-07-12 11:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-24 11:46 AM

BGD - 2013-06-24 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear that, but ain't it just the wonder of technical progress.

Thank heavens there's no EGR valve to go wrong on the much simpler earlier Ducato engines.

You mean the ones that sound and drive like a tractor? 8-)

Yep that's the one. But hey, Bruce likes it, as he continually tells us. (lol) (lol)

Yep.

A reliable and happy-to-chug-forever tractor.

It'll do for me.

I've got serious motorcycles for speed/adrenaline bursts.

I was never going to get that from a 3.5 tonne white-van-man commercial vehicle. I just want it to start, go along comfortably, be simple to maintain and not break down, and cost me not a great deal.

A 2001 2.8JTD Ducato chassis-cab does that for me.

Feel free to have other variants of white-van. Each to their own.

BGD - 2013-07-13 1:05 AM

peter - 2013-07-12 11:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-24 11:46 AM

BGD - 2013-06-24 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear that, but ain't it just the wonder of technical progress.

Thank heavens there's no EGR valve to go wrong on the much simpler earlier Ducato engines.

You mean the ones that sound and drive like a tractor? 8-)

Yep that's the one. But hey, Bruce likes it, as he continually tells us. (lol) (lol)

Yep.

A reliable and happy-to-chug-forever tractor.

It'll do for me.

I've got serious motorcycles for speed/adrenaline bursts.

I was never going to get that from a 3.5 tonne white-van-man commercial vehicle. I just want it to start, go along comfortably, be simple to maintain and not break down, and cost me not a great deal.

A 2001 2.8JTD Ducato chassis-cab does that for me.

Feel free to have other variants of white-van. Each to their own.

We own around 20 vehicles (can't be bothered to count them) compared to 16 of them your van is overly complicated with to many sophisticated things to go wrong *-)

My friend has just come back from his latest stage of his continueing around the US trip, he's done 'ocean to ocean', Washington state throu SW to Florida, and now 4500miles up and around the east coast, his only problems have been punctures, so why would anyone want more than a model T with a tent thrown in the back? It has proved utterly reliable and far from depreciating like a Ducato, it is worth more now than when he restored it.

peter - 2013-07-12 10:26 PM

My wife had the same problem on her diesel Vauxhall corsa. Drove me mad for ages, until I changed the M.A.P sensor in the manifold. It's been perfect ever since. It was covered in oily crud. It was dead easy to change as it is only held in place with one screw. I think it cost about £17.00 off fleabay. Well worth considering owing to the ease and cost. The fault used to shut down the turbo and go into limp home mode. I used to have to take it out for a right good thrashing in third gear at 70>80 mph. That worked for a while until it got crudded up again. It's been fine for over a year now. I think that the corsa engine is also a Fiat. I did strip out the E.G.R valve as the original suspect, (pain in the butt to get at) but it was spotless and the solenoid worked fine.

Well this weeks update.

Swapped over the EGR solinoid and as suspected it didn't fix the problem. A couple of miles down the road a big power drop, struggled to get up to 40mph :-(

Anyway back to Fiat dealer and they wanted £59+vat for another diagnostics, this time fault P010F came up, air mas/flow meter, at this the mechanic seemed satisfied the fault code was correct, previously he questioned the ERG valve fault and suspected the throttle body but wasn't 100% convinced, he's recommended I phone around as it's a common part that can be purchased well below Fiat prices, although my first quote was £165 for BOSCH - Ref: 0 281 006 048 Air Mas Sensor, which I hope is the correct part.

Colin - why not contact Nick (Euroserv) at Leicester and let him sort it out for you once and for all - he is not that far from you it seems?

Nick is a very genuine guy who will only charge you a fair price for work done with no fancy frills or nasty shocks.

Tracker - 2013-07-19 2:43 PM

Colin - why not contact Nick (Euroserv) at Leicester and let him sort it out for you once and for all - he is not that far from you it seems?

Nick is a very genuine guy who will only charge you a fair price for work done with no fancy frills or nasty shocks.

That was my first thought, then the nearest Fiat dealer offered to contact FiatUK and hopefully get some compensation from them, this seems to have ended at one free diagnostics, so Nick is once again being considered.

Colin,

I am sure I will get fired down for this but we had issues with our EGR valve whilst in Scotland and a guy suggested that we fill up with a top diesel ( I used BP Ultimate to fill the tank about half) and a bottle of Diesel Redex. Since then we have had no problems.

A cheap option and one that can do no harm so possible worth trying.

Will now wait for the experts to tell me this doesn't work.

We had similar problems in Germany last year with out previous van and had the same advice - but for us it made no difference!

Also tried some very expensive 'Millers' additive with the same spectacularly abysmal results!

I am no expert - but it was worth a try!!

PS Nobody will shoot anybody else down for relating their own experiences as it's the only way we all learn from each other on here, so please carry on as I have no doubt that others will have 'got away with it' too!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well last week I took van up to Nick's, and thanks to him and his associates it now appears to be sorted.

After the last visit to my 'local' Fiat Professional workshop I had a gut feeling that it would not get fixed with their input and Nick offered to try an air mass sensor from one of his crashed vans to save me spending another £200 on new parts. He was proved correct and the air mass sensor was ok, but the usual problems didn't seem to apply and the van was not displaying symptoms he had come across before. This meant I had to leave van with him for further investigation.

Apparently at first the fault was thought to be a plastic 'plug' which was blocking the vacuum pipe to EGR solenoid. Now this 'plug' had been pointed out to me by my local Fiat Pro garage as a one way valve, this appears to be complete bulls**t so am I glad to have got away from their clutches. It now seems that the plug had been fitted by the french Peugeot garage in attempt to blank off ERG valve so I could get home. Also the ERG valve seemed a bit sticky and it was 'worked' to free it off. Nick drove the van and couple of hundred yards down the road it dropped power, he described it as a struggle to drive it back, but then (as usual) it was ok again.

After a lot of head scratching it was decided to drive the van with the diagnostics attached, after a few miles the power dropped and it showed air flow of 200 instead of 900, so something was amiss in the inlet system, after stripping down a mouse was found, the theory is the mouse was at bottom of curve on inlet, under certain circumstances it was drawn up to air mass sensor where it hit a plastic grid, if the engine was then switched off it would fall back to bottom of curve.

Nick test drove the van that evening and rang me, and I was able to pick it up on thursday so we could get away to Gatcombe for the weekend.

It's been 7 weeks in total to get fixed but thanks to Nick and his associates I've got a van that works and a better understanding of these engines.

p.s. think I've covered it all, but if I've misinterpreted anything or got something wrong I'm sure Nick can correct me.

snowie - 2013-08-06 10:11 PM

Thanks Colin; but how did the "mouse" get there..........or is that a euphemism?

regards

alan b

That was the subject of another thread, we have a 'carport' that the van is stored under, last autumn gf decided to store some sheaves of corn next to van. Within a couple of weeks all the ears had been eaten, presumably the mice looked around for somewhere to live close to this nice store of food, and chose the van. When servicing the van I found two dead mice in the filter housing, I then vacuumed out the inlet but it seems one was still stuck in the inlet pipe just after the filter. The odd thing is as in first post, when this first started the power loss came just as engine got up to temp and for 30secs/1min? on first heat cycle of day it would then be ok all rest of day even after breaks in driving, still at a loss as to this behavour.

van.thumb.jpg.d33c4be2b67f4924b2cbc6559863007f.jpg

Last year when we had our auto sleeper serviced Marquis found a dead mouse in the air cleaner filter , if you look on the cross member near the bonnet catch there is the inlet to the filter , so it was assumed the mouse had been rummaging around and gone down the plastic inlet pipe and not been able to get out again . It had tried eating the filter before it died .

Archived