fiat on board trip computer

derek pringle

Hi All, looking for some advice please.

Our 2011 Fiat 3ltr auto is showing just 37ml on the 'RANGE' readout of the onboard computer. The total mileage has just passed 10000ml. If it resets itself at 9999, when does it start reading normal again?

We have just been away for 10 days and no change even though we filled up on our journey.

Any advice welcome as it is a long way to a service depot.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2013-06-24 1:14 PM

Hi All, looking for some advice please.

Our 2011 Fiat 3ltr auto is showing just 37ml on the 'RANGE' readout of the onboard computer. The total mileage has just passed 10000ml. If it resets itself at 9999, when does it start reading normal again?

We have just been away for 10 days and no change even though we filled up on our journey.

Any advice welcome as it is a long way to a service depot.

cheers

derek

The "Range" should adjust itself as soon as you put fuel in. Yours clearly doesn't. The "Range" does not adjust itself so clearly you have a problem.

Heck!; That's a weird one!

The fuel tank sender provides information on remaining fuel; the fuel injection provides data on fuel flow and therefore fuel consumption. Between these two it is calculated how far you should be able to go given recent driving conditions and historical data.

If your fuel guage is working ( and the level looks realistic) and your engine is running properly there should be no cause for alarm but I cannot imagine why the range data is wrong.

Have you got the display set to 'temperature'?

Quite bizarre.

Nick

Would it reset itself if you zero'ed the trip.

Its a suggestion as that seems to be the way our car resets its self. We do not let the tank fall low enough to trip the bottom end of the scale, which in turn does not work when the tank is topped right up.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2013-06-24 6:59 PM

Would it reset itself if you zero'ed the trip.

Its a suggestion as that seems to be the way our car resets its self. We do not let the tank fall low enough to trip the bottom end of the scale, which in turn does not work when the tank is topped right up.

Rgds

Hi Tony,

I will try resetting [zeroing]the trip, one point is though that although the reading is now 37 miles we have never let the tank get anywhere near the low end, we always fill up in plenty of time.

cheers

derek

Guest Peter James

I Agree with everything said so far.

Is the fuel gauge reading OK?

You can access the fuel pump and sender unit from inside the cab - its the access panel in the floor behind the one for the main engine battery. If you take the cover up there is another cover - circular round plastic held by 3 screws, with access to the top of the fuel tank below that (photo) Might be worth checking the connections on the top?

1551714328_X250cabfloor.thumb.jpg.8f92a60bc93be6b1caff01cedbd8655d.jpg

Peter James - 2013-06-25 9:26 AM

You can access the fuel pump and sender unit from inside the cab - its the access panel in the floor behind the one for the main engine battery. If you take the cover up there is another cover - circular round plastic held by 3 screws, with access to the top of the fuel tank below that (photo) Might be worth checking the connections on the top?

thanks very much Peter for going to the trouble you have done for me. Yes, the fuel gauge is working as are the other functions on the computer, I will check the connections you talk about asap,prob tomorrow and let you know. Do these connections have anything to do with 'range' or are they purely for fuel level?

Once again thanks to you and everybody.

cheers

derek

Guest Peter James
derek pringle - 2013-06-25 10:35 AM

Peter James - 2013-06-25 9:26 AM

thanks very much Peter for going to the trouble you have done for me. Yes, the fuel gauge is working as are the other functions on the computer, I will check the connections you talk about asap,prob tomorrow and let you know. Do these connections have anything to do with 'range' or are they purely for fuel level?

Once again thanks to you and everybody.

cheers

derek

Your welcome Derek. I took a few photos 4 years ago when I was converting the van, so have them on file for times like this. I thought maybe the connections on top of the tank had corroded, but since the van is running and the fuel gauge ok that doesn't seem to be the case. I know little about computers so am baffled, and have no idea of the cause. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

Archived