Winter camping

Martyn22

Has anyone else stayed at Bonterra park Spain? during months of December through to early February will be on my own never taken a motor home abroad before but now retired look forward to a trip to spend Xmas/new year and my birthday Jan 22 have spent time in the canaries during these months but no nothing about Spain, all advice will be welcome anyone going for this period with Motorhome club I live in Bristol

Hi Martyn and welcome.

We stayed at Bonterra park late last year, Bennincassim is a nice place to be during the winter time. We will be visiting again after doing the Xmas thing with the old folks!

Try the forum search function, this is an oft mentioned topic.

Guest pelmetman
If you have a dog beware.............as although they allow them, I hear they're not particularly dog friendly ;-).....

pelmetman - 2013-06-27 4:26 PM

If you have a dog beware.............as although they allow them, I hear they're not particularly dog friendly ;-).....

Dave, are you sure it was Troy or You that the Spanish where not friendly too???

Have to agree, just left Spain, and noted that they prefer little "hand bag" size dogs

PJay

PS was hoping to catch BGD show, but he was not "working" while we were in Calpe. maybe next year!!

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2013-06-27 7:52 PM

Dave, are you sure it was Troy or You that the Spanish where not friendly too???

Have to agree, just left Spain, and noted that they prefer little "hand bag" size dogs

PJay

PS was hoping to catch BGD show, but he was not "working" while we were in Calpe. maybe next year!!

Just what we've heard on the grape line from other campers whilst in Spain Pauline ;-).............

From MHF........

I think its a big problem with the dog situation. You are made to feel really uncomfortable and i have now met many travellers who would not go near Bonterra Park with there dog.

It is very difficult to get off site befor an accident occurs and i saw campers shouting at dog walkers, it was not easy to find suitable walking outside the main gate. Plus you have to sign a disclaimer when you book in that your pet will not foul or urinate inside the perimeter otherwise you will be asked to leave

If you are pet free this is a great site , well situated, clean, close to town and supermarket opposite and when our Ben is no longer around to cause offence will look forward to Bonterra

WE stayed there in February with our dog (golden Retriver) and had no problems. The path along the old railway line at the top of the park was excellent for dog walking and cycling. Aldi in one direction and a nice coastal walk the other way. Although the site was a little crowded for us, it was very popular with the Brits.

pelmetman - 2013-06-27 8:08 PM

PJay

Just what we've heard on the grape line from other campers whilst in Spain Pauline ;-).............

From MHF........

I think its a big problem with the dog situation. You are made to feel really uncomfortable and i have now met many travellers who would not go near Bonterra Park with there dog.

It is very difficult to get off site befor an accident occurs and i saw campers shouting at dog walkers, it was not easy to find suitable walking outside the main gate. Plus you have to sign a disclaimer when you book in that your pet will not foul or urinate inside the perimeter otherwise you will be asked to leave

If you are pet free this is a great site , well situated, clean, close to town and supermarket opposite and when our Ben is no longer around to cause offence will look forward to Bonterra

We are going to Bonterra park in February all being well. Whilst I have nothing against dogs and in fact owned one until recently, there are a lot of people who do not clean up after their dogs which causes the problems. Same old situation, the minority messing (excuse pun!) it up for the majority. Bonterra Park is one of the cleanest sites I have ever been on so can see their point.

On saying that, We have been on a site in Hungary recently and it once again was a spotless site until some Czech woman walked her dog (which are supposed to be walked OFF site) right down the grass verge/gardens of the fixed mobile homes and stood laughing when the dog moved along as he deposited. She then walked away and left the mess. Needless to say a large number of incredulous people complained to reception-said woman left following day!

However this is off topic-sorry

Bonterra park is lovely and in walking distance of town-an unusual thing these days-go and enjoy yourself. Have a look round the Asian bazaar-they sell everything you can think of-last time we were there I spotted a gearbox for a Morris Minor! Well almost ;-)

Mike

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2013-06-27 9:46 PM

PJay

From MHF........

We are going to Bonterra park in February all being well. Whilst I have nothing against dogs and in fact owned one until recently, there are a lot of people who do not clean up after their dogs which causes the problems. Same old situation, the minority messing (excuse pun!) it up for the majority. Bonterra Park is one of the cleanest sites I have ever been on so can see their point.

On saying that, We have been on a site in Hungary recently and it once again was a spotless site until some Czech woman walked her dog (which are supposed to be walked OFF site) right down the grass verge/gardens of the fixed mobile homes and stood laughing when the dog moved along as he deposited. She then walked away and left the mess. Needless to say a large number of incredulous people complained to reception-said woman left following day!

Bonterra park is lovely and in walking distance of town-an unusual thing these days-go and enjoy yourself. Have a look round the Asian bazaar-they sell everything you can think of-last time we were there I spotted a gearbox for a Morris Minor! Well almost ;-)

Mike

I hope your right Mike ;-)............and the rumours are false as its the ideal site for us being close to the town and beach................still a bit to far North for us in Feb though :D

Guest pelmetman
Martyn22 - 2013-06-28 9:19 AM

when you say to far north were would you recommend? I kitesurf and love sunbathing so uncrowded beach with firm sand

This Jan we spent at Pilar de la horadada, which is 20 minutes South of Torrevieja, beaches are quiet and if you were kite surfing this January you'd of been in the Balearic's within 5 mins :D..........Feb we were in Calpe and the temperature was a few degrees less than Pilar ;-)..................general rule of thumb the further South the better B-)

In Calpe you have to watch out for the para gliders who seem to land anywhere :D

P1000083web.jpg.f10f68a8ba84dc8cc048af7ee23bf127.jpg

pelmetman - 2013-06-28 8:16 AM

Mike B. - 2013-06-27 9:46 PM

PJay

From MHF........

Mike

I hope your right Mike ;-)............and the rumours are false as its the ideal site for us being close to the town and beach................still a bit to far North for us in Feb though :D

Dave-hear what you say but...last year we were in Spain from Jan 5th at Valladollid Rally and it was bright & sunny but cold and frosty in mornings. Following that Madrid was lovely and quite warm. Heading south for the sun-Malaga was wet & windy (Floods!) La Manga was not very good and VERY windy for most of January/February but heading north we got the best weather from Albir to Peniscola! We were of the same opinion that further south would be much warmer but last year we were wrong. Bonterra Park being sheltered was one of the warmest stays of all! We then headed back through France and hit the blizzards all the way from Conte to Yorkshire-Bl**dy nightmare journey!

Mike

benicassim is a lovely place, still very spanish. you'll like the beach, and bonterra park is fine, with a good bar and restaurant. if you have a problem on site, the there is another site just along the road so you wouldn't be stuck. there is also a lot of wild camping space just along the road, and (if its still open) a decent aire . although I used to prefer the other site (forgot its name!) I was on bonterra in feb and enjoyed it.

Archived