Clutch pedal

Coachman

I have owned several Ducato based m/h and until now never had a problem dipping the pedal and touching the the throttle pedal as well, has there been any changes from our first in 1994 to present one 2003, we did have a new Bessacar in 2004 and did not have the problem. I have tried using differant footware but apart from wearing socks only its a bit annoying. Of course I know nothing can be done but just commenting on it.

I can't advise on whether the relative positioning of the foot-operated controls of current-model Ducatos is much different from that of earlier versions, but there doesn't seem to be anything on-line about the brake and accelerator pedals of current Ducatos being unusually close together.

Pedal positioning will always be a compromise in this respect, as it will need to take account of drivers with very large wide feet as well as those with small narrow ones. It's likely that your feet (or at least your right foot ;-) ) is on the wider side of average, which is why you occasionally touch the accelerator pedal when braking.

For me, with small narrow feet and a wish to down-shift using a 'heel and toe' method, having the accelerator pedal close to the brake pedal is a plus. In fact, as I want to be able to operate the accelerator while pressing the brake pedal, I've fitted a plate to the top of both my motorhomes' accelerator pedals to increase their foot-contact area and bring accelerator and brake pedals closer together.

You said originally "Of course I know nothing can be done..." but, if you find that you are persistently operating the accelerator accidentally when braking, you might look into the practicability of having the pedals modified so that their foot-contact surfaces are slightly further apart.

If I read this correctly, it's the second of that model you have had? The first not being a problem? This seems odd.

Anyway, Not had much experiance of the older model Ducato as after driving one once I vowed not to drive one again, I found the driving position most awkward and am not supprised as to your problems

colin - 2013-06-29 11:21 AM

If I read this correctly, it's the second of that model you have had? The first not being a problem? This seems odd.

Anyway, Not had much experiance of the older model Ducato as after driving one once I vowed not to drive one again, I found the driving position most awkward and am not supprised as to your problems

On re-reading Patiche's original posting, my understanding is that he has owned (at least) 3 Ducato-based motorhomes - 1994 and 2004 models (that apparently caused no pedal-related criticisms) and his current 2003-plated Mobilvetta Top Driver 52.

This Wikipedia entry lists the Ducato's history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Evidently there was a change in the technical specification in 2002 and, if there were a significant pedal-positioning difference between earlier Ducatos and the 2002 version, it might be logical to think this difference could be reflected in Pastiche's 2003-plated Mobilvetta. (In fact, based on on-line adverts for Ducato brake-pedal rubbers, it would appear that one design of brake-pedal rubber was used for 1994-2002 Ducatos and a different design from 2002-2006.)

However, as the next major Ducato change after 2002 was in 2006, even if there were a pedal-positioning difference between Pastiche's 1994 and 2003-plated Ducatos, one might reasonably expect his uncontroversial 2004 Bessacarr to have the same pedal positions as his 2003-plated Mobilvetta.

There's no good reason to think Mobilvetta will have altered the pedal set-up when building Pastiche's motorhome, or that Pastiche's Mobilvetta's Ducato 'chassis' differs from other Ducatos of that vintage.

I guess there is the (small) possibility that a previous owner (Pastiche has owned the Mobilvetta since May 2012) modified the pedal positioning to bring brake and accelerator pedals closer together, or that a wider-than-standard rubber cover has been fitted to the brake pedal. In either case Pastiche should be able to decide whether his Mobilvetta's pedal positioning is 'normal' for 2002/2003 Ducatos by visiting a few motorhome dealerships and measuring the brake/accelerator pedal separation distance of similar age Ducatos.

Two cheap options maybe:

Use a couple of mole grips (or get local garage to do so) to simply create a small bend in the middle of the throttle pedal arm, so the footplate of that peddle sits a little further to the right.

The metal of the shaft isn't high tensile steel (as there are no significant forces acting upon it when it's operated), so it is pretty easy to create a small bend in the middle of the shaft.........in fact, I wonder if someone else has bent it a little to the left in the past, and that's causing your problem now?

And/or, shave a little off the left side of the throttle footplate/footplate rubber.

Expensive option:

Surgery to make your right foot slimmer.

Archived