Capital punishment

nightrider

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knight of the road - 2013-06-30 6:10 PM

Seeing as capital punishment was ended years ago, what if it were to be brought back, how would a new hangman be recruited and trained up for the job?

Save money , put the condemned in a room with a rope and give them some of John47 's thread comments and I'm sure given a few minutes it'll all be over .

Guest Had Enough

Seeing as capital punishment was ended years ago, what if it were to be brought back, how would a new hangman be recruited and trained up for the job?

First of all I don't think that we will ever get capital punishment back, which doesn't suit me as I'm a firm believer in it for certain crimes and with certain reservations, which are too complex to go into here.

But to answer your question, in the unlikely event of it ever returning in a few decades time I don't think that, by then, the public would be happy with hanging, which does seem a pretty barbaric way of killing someone.

If it were up to me it would be by lethal injection, which wouldn't need any special training as there are already thousands of suitably qualified doctors who could calculate the dose and anyone could press the button to administer it.

Anyway, now that the hard work in your gardening business is getting a bit difficult are you looking for a new job! ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-06-30 10:58 PM

Anyway, now that the hard work in your gardening business is getting a bit difficult are you looking for a new job! ;-)

That would be handy Malc.......Strangeways just down the road. :-D

Dave

over the years I have met and spoken to two of our hangmen, Albert and Harry Alan, Harry had the Junction pub just near where I live, both these men had totally different personalities, I have heard Harry say on several occasions it would have given him the greatest of pleasure to have topped Brady and Hindley, when talking to them my eyes were always drawn to their hands, the hands that sent them to their doom, don't think I could have done the job, I'd never sleep again.

knight of the road - 2013-07-01 12:58 AM

over the years I have met and spoken to two of our hangmen, Albert and Harry Alan, Harry had the Junction pub just near where I live, both these men had totally different personalities, I have heard Harry say on several occasions it would have given him the greatest of pleasure to have topped Brady and Hindley, when talking to them my eyes were always drawn to their hands, the hands that sent them to their doom, don't think I could have done the job, I'd never sleep again.

No problem , remember that we are talking about murderers etc , the lowest forms of life . Soldiers during war have a tougher time surely , killing the enemy who like them are on the battlefield fighting for a cause most believe in and mostly they seem to be able to live with the killing .

Can't see doctors wanting to do the job of lethal injection unless we bring Shipman back from the grave .

I've never been in favour of the death penalty for several reasons. First, it is barbaric and if we want to be seen as better than the killers we can't do it by killing them. Second, except in very few cases, there is always room for doubt (as has been proved by many overturned convictions) and therefore having a non-reversible punishment cannot be right. Finally, just look at Brady - a quick death would have been ideal for him; the biggest punishment we can inflict on such a man is to make him suffer by keeping him alive.

Guest pelmetman

If Brady had done a stretch on a bit of Chatham hemp when he was convicted, he'd just be a distant memory now *-)...............the relatives of his victims would of been able to move on...........instead he's played the authorities for the mugs they are >:-(................he doesn't want to top himself.......he's just playing with the system..........because he can *-)

I'd rather the cost of keeping these low life in comfort, spent on the NHS or something worthwhile ;-)

antony1969 - 2013-07-01 12:22 PM

I wonder how barbaric relatives of murder victims or victims of rapists think capital punishment is ?

It's certainly must be regarded as barbaric if they hang the wrong bloke.

If we had a justice system that was infallible capital punishment wouldn't bother me too much - but until that time comes I am opposed to it.

:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-07-01 1:32 PM

I wonder how barbaric relatives of murder victims or victims of rapists think capital punishment is ?

If we had a justice system that was infallible capital punishment wouldn't bother me too much - but until that time comes I am opposed to it.

Has anyone been wrongly convicted of murder in recent years, since the introduction of DNA technology Malc? :-S

pelmetman - 2013-07-01 6:16 PM

Has anyone been wrongly convicted of murder in recent years, since the introduction of DNA technology Malc? :-S

We don't Dave.

That's the point.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-07-01 7:01 PM

We don't Dave.

That's the point.

Confused of Lincolnshire here Malc :-S.................

As I see it the chances of wrongful conviction is so minuscule, that it is no longer relevant :-| ............besides I'm not a hang everyone kinda guy :D..............as I am well aware there are more than 50 shades of grey 8-)..............and people will commit murder completely out of character......so deserve a life sentence.......but people like the Brady's and the Dale Cregans of this world deserve a short sentence of a 6' drop >:-(

pelmetman - 2013-07-01 7:09 PM

malc d - 2013-07-01 7:01 PM

We don't Dave.

That's the point.

Confused of Lincolnshire here Malc :-S.................

As I see it the chances of wrongful conviction is so minuscule, that it is no longer relevant :-| -(

So - if they hung YOU - by mistake - you would find that acceptable, and just a bit of bad luck ?

:-D

Surely no one wants the wrong person hung Malc , as Dave says with DNA etc is it likely the wrong person would be convicted ?

antony1969 - 2013-07-01 7:31 PM

Surely no one wants the wrong person hung Malc , as Dave says with DNA etc is it likely the wrong person would be convicted ?

Not all murder cases involve DNA evidence - I doubt if it is often used in shootings for example.

I can only conclude that Dave, and possibly yourself, have much more faith in the infallibility of our legal profession than I do.

If the chance of hanging the wrong person is " miniscule " - as Dave put it - that is still a chance of getting it wrong.

When it becomes impossible to get it wrong, I doubt if I will be particularly bothered what the sentence is in these cases.

malc d - 2013-07-01 7:39 PM

Not all murder cases involve DNA evidence - I doubt if it is often used in shootings for example.

I can only conclude that Dave, and possibly yourself, have much more faith in the infallibility of our legal profession than I do.

If the chance of hanging the wrong person is " miniscule " - as Dave put it - that is still a chance of getting it wrong.

When it becomes impossible to get it wrong, I doubt if I will be particularly bothered what the sentence is in these cases.

True not all use DNA but in shootings forensics are spot on , so for me no problem .

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-07-01 7:50 PM

malc d - 2013-07-01 7:39 PM

True not all use DNA but in shootings forensics are spot on , so for me no problem .

I dare say in a case of gun on gun gang killing I doubt I'll shed many tears *-)................as the old saying goes........"live by the sword die by the sword" ;-)..............

What bothers me is the cost of keeping these people in comfort for the rest of their days...................IF.........they suffered for their crimes I might not be so bothered.............but they don't *-)...............they just use the system to take the p*ss out of the authorities...........but atleast it gives the authorities a job *-)

pelmetman - 2013-07-01 8:05 PM

What bothers me is the cost of keeping these people in comfort for the rest of their days...................IF.........they suffered for their crimes I might not be so bothered.............but they don't *-)...............they just use the system to take the p*ss out of the authorities...........but atleast it gives the authorities a job *-)

I think you are probably right about that - although I haven't been in prison ( yet ) so have can't really know - but ' how prisons are run ' is a different subject.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-07-01 8:28 PM

I think you are probably right about that - although I haven't been in prison ( yet ) so have can't really know - but ' how prisons are run ' is a different subject.

;-)

Its all part of the problem Malc ;-)...................and why the authorities are so out of touch with the real world *-)...................they have spent decades talking to the criminals.............and spent very little time listerning to the victims :-|......................hence we now have the criminals ruling the judiciary in so far as how they should be sentenced and treated *-)....................do any of these do gooding quango's have a proper hangem and flogem nutter on their boards like me? >:-)....................no........ they all have airy fairy limp wristers who would faint at the site of a page 3 girl (lol) (lol) (lol)

Ah, DNA the holy grail of evidence, yet still we have had problems with wrongful convictions due to mistakes and juries being convinced that DNA cannot be wrong.

I've never been in a prison, but my cousin has to make the occasional visit. She was only just telling us how horrible just visiting is and how it's not as cosy as the papers make out.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-07-01 9:24 PM

pelmetman - 2013-07-01 8:36 PM

...................do any of these do gooding quango's have a proper hangem and flogem nutter on their boards like me?

...... I sincerely hope not.

:-D

So your against a bit of balance then Malc ;-)

Archived