Electrical niggles: help needed

Gwendolyn

Two problems:

1) Fridge is not operating on 240 v, but works fine on gas and battery.

2) Waste water 'tank needs to be emptied’ indicator permanently flashing, even after tank has been emptied.

Any solutions / suggestions / advice gratefully received.

O/H is playing around with his electric meter even as I type, but I thought that if I could get some help on here I could impress him!!!

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-07-01 4:41 PM

Two problems:

1) Fridge is not operating on 240 v, but works fine on gas and battery.

Assuming (but don't!) that the mains is hooked-up, switched on, and the panel indicator is showing it active, check that the MCB (Miniature circuit breaker) protecting the fridge (and possibly one or two other circuits) has not tripped or been inadvertently knocked-off.

Rather than hard-wiring, Hobby tend to install their fridges with a conventional plug-socket connection (albeit of the continental variety) in the void behind the fridge. It is possible (but not likely) that this may have dislodged. Removal of (usually the lower) fridge vent will allow for checking.

2) Waste water 'tank needs to be emptied’ indicator permanently flashing, even after tank has been emptied.

Often caused by "debris" stuck to the tank "probes" causing a false reading. If not this, then it's likely to be a short somewhere. I suspect yours has only a single "full" indicator, rather than a graduated gauge, so any attempt to clear the probe might mean (almost) filling it, going for a run allowing it to slop around, and re-draining. Alternatively (and messy), a quick blast up the drain outlet with a powerful hose might do the same. (Mine is large-bore enough to get a hose well into the outlet).

sshortcircuit - 2013-07-01 4:56 PM

Make and model of MH would help. Have you checked the circuit breakers?

Oh yes... sorry... it's a Hobby Van. I'll ask him about testing circuit breakers.....

Thanks.

And thanks to Robin too.

Cheers,

Gwen

Further to robin's post, I put a 'good dose' of laundry washing liquid down all the plug holes before filling and 'sloshing' tank to help clean it. also try to avoid getting any oil/fat in you tank as this will build up.

colin - 2013-07-01 5:09 PM

Further to robin's post, I put a 'good dose' of laundry washing liquid down all the plug holes before filling and 'sloshing' tank to help clean it. also try to avoid getting any oil/fat in you tank as this will build up.

I'm reliably informed that two litres of cheap supermarket cola, poured in and left there whilst travelling will clean most things out of the tank, but, as I haven't yet tried it, I won't endorse it. ;-)

colin - 2013-07-01 5:09 PM

We tried that a few times on our long trek home from Spain. It seemed, we thought, to have done the trick, but the blessed thing is blinking away again merrily today. Annoying!

Thanks for the suggestion…. now desperately trying to recall if I have emptied any oily 'nastiness' down the drain. I am usually careful not to.... But…. a thought .... hair conditioner??? Could that have done it???? The one I use is fairly creamy!

Cheers

Gwen.

Thanks all. I love the idea of low tech solutions to technical problems. Large bottles of cheap Aldi’s coke now bought. Orange and lemon squash on standby.

Will report back. [Memo to self: Use hair conditioner only in site shower blocks!]

As for the fridge problem – O/H has done some digging around on the Forum and found some older posts on the subject, and it seems that the solution is to let the professionals sort it.

Cheers

Gwen

Archived