Fiat Ducato wing mirror protectors

Wills Wagon

Agree with the fact 'they do work' after being 'swiped' by a flatbed truck nr. St.Mawes,Cornwall. It was such a noisy 'thump' that I expected a large gouge out of the side of the van, as well as the the mirror being forcibly whacked back. No broken glass (for me anyway) cracked indicator lens, but the mirrorguard doesn't cover those (obviously). So, pleased that I have a set. even if they are a bit expensive. Ray

I'd like to apologise to the impatient driver of a BMW estate who caught our mirror guard an almighty thump. No doubt he will be pleased to know that he failed to cause any damage and I managed to,remove the blue BMW paint with the aid of a little polish.

Nothing is full proof but they do seem to work and are well worth the money.

My local dealer tells me they stock mirrors and in season replace two or three a week!

My VW T4 was hit twice. Once while parked and the glass shattered. The second time was on a bend on a country road at night, which was really scary, and the impact wrecked the adjustment motor but the glass was OK. In both cases the outer shell was OK. Are the Ducato casings a bit fragile?

Muswell - 2013-07-04 8:55 AM

My VW T4 was hit twice. Once while parked and the glass shattered. The second time was on a bend on a country road at night, which was really scary, and the impact wrecked the adjustment motor but the glass was OK. In both cases the outer shell was OK. Are the Ducato casings a bit fragile?

Yes.

Muswell - 2013-07-04 9:55 AM

Only if something hard hits them at a combined speed of say 60 or 80 miles per hour.

Better to actually leave more room than try protecting them with another £100 cost for some more plastic?

JudgeMental - 2013-07-05 1:57 PM

could do with some for a ford fiesta..wife on 3rd replacement and they ain't cheap *-)

When my mirrors have been clipped in London it's been when the car has been stopped. It's sobering when it happens at speed and you realise that a few more inches and it would be a lot more than a new mirror.

Muswell - 2013-07-05 2:26 PM

...It's sobering when it happens at speed and you realise that a few more inches and it would be a lot more than a new mirror.

We've had conversations along those lines before...

When traveling along some of our more rural A roads and when ever you cross with a bus or lorry, you glance in your mirror to see that you've only cleared each other by a matter of a few inches...

What with dry stone walls and overhanging branches trying to wipe out the N/S..and Tesco wagons etc trying to rip out the O/S wall, I've often wondered how some of these tag axle MHs(and ruddy great big twin axle caravans) manage to make it to some sites in one piece..? :-S

On a recent trip abroad our near side mirror was clouted by a large misplaced road divider at road works. Luckily the impact with our mirror through the offending object away from the van. The mirror appeared to have broken with the glass hanging on by a wire. Once out of the road works we were able to safely stop and examine the damage. Luckily no cracks. no broken glass so it just all clipped back together ;-)). We now carry a spare glass, just in case.

The mis placed road diver was caused by very large HGV's travelling at speed on very narrow lanes, clouting the dividers as the trundled along.

Still not bought any mirror guards ...... yet.

crbtaylor - 2013-07-05 4:27 PM

On a recent trip abroad our near side mirror was clouted by a large misplaced road divider at road works. Luckily the impact with our mirror through the offending object away from the van. The mirror appeared to have broken with the glass hanging on by a wire. Once out of the road works we were able to safely stop and examine the damage. Luckily no cracks. no broken glass so it just all clipped back together ;-)). We now carry a spare glass, just in case.

The mis placed road diver was caused by very large HGV's travelling at speed on very narrow lanes, clouting the dividers as the trundled along.

Still not bought any mirror guards ...... yet.

Ummmm....was it not actually caused by you clouting the road divider with your mirror, rather than it clouting your mirror?

pepe63 - 2013-07-05 2:47 PM

What with dry stone walls and overhanging branches trying to wipe out the N/S..and Tesco wagons etc trying to rip out the O/S wall, I've often wondered how some of these tag axle MHs(and ruddy great big twin axle caravans) manage to make it to some sites in one piece..? :-S

C'mon it's obvious....you only see the ones that made it :-D

Saved my mirror on a number of occasions when keying in entry / exit codes on campsites ( set for car door heights) when driving off and clipping various bits of posts, barriers etc.

(Those with high swivel seats and cab pillars will know what I mean *-) )

Rgds

BGD - 2013-07-05 3:29 PM

Ummmm....was it not actually caused by you clouting the road divider with your mirror, rather than it clouting your mirror?

I quote the immortal words "I was hit by a stationary vehicle".

BGD - 2013-07-05 12:13 PM

Muswell - 2013-07-04 9:55 AM

Only if something hard hits them at a combined speed of say 60 or 80 miles per hour.

Better to actually leave more room than try protecting them with another £100 cost for some more plastic?

You can leave all the room in the world (even on a South Devon so called A road) and some 'Bod' will still want their side of the road, AND part of yours too. Better safe than sorry.

Muswell - 2013-07-05 3:33 PM

pepe63 - 2013-07-05 2:47 PM

C'mon it's obvious....you only see the ones that made it :-D

Oh yeah! (lol) ...I didn't think that through,did I.... (lol)

Hi,

Whilst in Wales a couple of weeks ago I clashed wing mirrors with another vehicle along a narrow stretch of road, a terrible noise it made as well, but neither of us could stop due to the road and road works on it.

I fortunately have mirror protectors on the van but the mirror did pop out although no damage done.

The vehicle I clashed with?---another motorhome, I do hope his vehicle was as ok as mine.

cheers

derek

Archived