Double Whammy

Muswell

After a couple of weeks of suspecting the worst, the cut-off phone yesterday pretty well confirms that Horizons are not in business at the moment. Then our Cavarno 2 was stolen last night, we are hoping it was just to take the catalytic converter. If anyone sees a blue-grey high-top Transit RX 60 BWE, it's ours!

Guest JudgeMental
Blimey.....don't know what to say except sympathise. Hope you have a decent insurance company and no holidays booked :-S

JudgeMental - 2013-07-09 1:02 PM

Blimey.....don't know what to say except sympathise. Hope you have a decent insurance company and no holidays booked :-S

Just got back 2 weeks ago after 3 weeks in France. It wasn't until Sunday I had time to clean it.......maybe I shouldn't have made it look so nice. :-(

Bl**dy 'ell!...sorry to hear that Muswell..

Is/was there any "kit" in it that wouldn't have been covered by insurance?..or personal stuff that couldn't be replaced?(sd cards/camera still full of photos etc?).. :-S

What feedback(if any)have you had from plod?...I hope they haven't just thrown you out a "crime number" ,as if to say, "..well..we've done our bit.." ? *-)

Guest pelmetman

What a nightmare......

Rest assured if they do get caught...............they'll be treated with kindness and consideration by our authorities *-)................they might even get a jail sentence if their lucky >:-)................failing that, a weekend in Paris and a pound out the till appears to be the norm now days ;-)

Thanks. The one thing we will miss is the Scrabble set with wooden tiles bought in Tripoli in 1972. More to the point is the loss of the sheets of paper and notebook with our scores.

The police have been very helpful and also told me about the place they raided recently and the equipment that is used to pick up the transmission from your remote key fob when you use it so thery can copy your key.......you can guess the rest.

We were due to take the van to Shropshire, about the lowest risk for vehicle crime in the country, and its new home next week >:-(

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2013-07-09 3:41 PM

The police have been very helpful and also told me about the place they raided recently and the equipment that is used to pick up the transmission from your remote key fob when you use it so thery can copy your key.......you can guess the rest.

8-) 8-)...............well that seems to make most modern vehicle security useless *-).......

Thanks. The one thing we will miss is the Scrabble set with wooden tiles bought in Tripoli in 1972. More to the point is the loss of the sheets of paper and notebook with our scores.

We were due to take the van to Shropshire, about the lowest risk for vehicle crime in the country, and its new home next week >:-(

Sorry about your loss Muswell, HOW did they steal it ? surely they can't copy the ignition key from a remote signal ?? the key is a 'physical' thing, agree they can 'spring' the central locking and enter the vehicle, but without a key the immobiliser won't allow the vehicle to start ? did they steal the locking fuel cap ? to get a copy made ? ( I have bought an 'aftermarket' one to foil that approach). Does the remote 'broadcast' the key number somehow ?? if so, i'll go back to physically unlocking/locking the van, and ditch the remote. I will be interested to know how they stole it.

As we are always being told that modern vehicles are impossible to steal without the key.

Shame about Horizon, they made good vans. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-07-09 6:09 PM

Sorry about your loss Muswell, HOW did they steal it ? surely they can't copy the ignition key from a remote signal ?? the key is a 'physical' thing, agree they can 'spring' the central locking and enter the vehicle, but without a key the immobiliser won't allow the vehicle to start ? did they steal the locking fuel cap ? to get a copy made ? ( I have bought an 'aftermarket' one to foil that approach). Does the remote 'broadcast' the key number somehow ?? if so, i'll go back to physically unlocking/locking the van, and ditch the remote. I will be interested to know how they stole it.

As we are always being told that modern vehicles are impossible to steal without the key.

Shame about Horizon, they made good vans. Ray

A Google and You-tube search will make your hair curl. I especially like one of someone picking a lock, like the ones used by Ford, in seconds using a jiggler. It seems BMW are very vulnerable. As the police told me, these people are professionals and they can steal anything. I think the vehicle security just deters the casual thief who wants a ride home.

Yes Horizons' vans were very well made, and the after-sales service was excellent,.

It's not just vehicles. With a couple of innocuous tools, I can enter your house. A 5 thingummy lock is defeated as easily as a 3 thingummy one. 8-)

Naturally, I will not expand this further on a public forum, all I will say is if you need a new front door, ask a lot of questions about security.

Don't have nightmares.

ps, sorry to hear about the theft of your van. I hope the scrotes get what they deserve from a higher authority.

Muswell - 2013-07-09 11:48 AM

After a couple of weeks of suspecting the worst, the cut-off phone yesterday pretty well confirms that Horizons are not in business at the moment.

....on the first part, I fear you are correct...

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60516/notices/1830178

.....on the second, I hope there is resolution to your satisfaction (sometimes a pay-out, if of an appropriate amount, is better than getting a recovered vehicle back, especially if it is not immediately recovered!)

Good luck.

Guest pelmetman

If anyone wants a well maintained comfortable motor for travelling long distances ;-)...................but you live in a dodgy area like London.......................then I will shortly have a Rover Sterling for sale B-)...................as no self respecting scumbag would be seen dead in my car (lol) (lol)

Only 2 owners plus demo.............less than 100k miles...............belts changed :-D.................make me an offer above 500 quid ;-).............and I'll give it a wash :D

Muswell - 2013-07-10 8:11 AM

Thanks Robinhood. I had tried Googling but that didn't come up.

You're welcome, though I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

I must admit, I'll be interested to see where any residual assets (if any) end up, given other info I found whilst searching. (But I'm afraid that I prefer to go no further than that enigmatic statement :-S )

Archived