remapping

jordano

hi everyone just back from 3 fantastic month around europe 4400 miles without a hitch my question is, is it possible to remap my motorhome Autotrail Cheyenne year 2000 2.8 jtd found it a little lacking on overtaking and steep hills, found someone who will do it but he asked me where the OBD socket was said he could still do the remap but he would have to dismantle just want to check if this is possible

Hi, try energytuning.co.uk, its a fantastic plug in box with nine different settings you set yourself depending on how you wish to travel. its cheaper, move to a new engine should you wish to change. I had one on our Autotrail Apache on a Fiat 2.3 2007 and it was fantastic. Just a thought , has it got an ecu and obd ? being a 2000 model, not sure when they were fitted, maybe thats why he couldn't find the diagnostic socket in which case he ought to know.

There's a YouTube video here

relating to remapping of a Ducato 2.8JTD and showing the OBD-port location.

There are plenty of companies advertising the capability of remapping this motor or offering a suitable 'tuning box' - GOOGLE-search on "ducato 2.8 remapping".

You might want to ask yourself whether significantly increasing the power output of a 13-year-old motor would be an advisable move when the engine is (apparently) currently performing reliably. The 2.8JTD unit was quite powerful to begin with (128PS/300Nm) and a Cheyenne 635 should perform pretty well with the motor in standard form. If it isn't doing so, there may be a basic reason for this (eg. the air filter needs replacement) and addressing this would restore its potential performance cheaply. If the motor's output is well below par for a more complicated technical reason, the 'tuning' approach would be unwise and financially wasteful.

There's also the matter of vehicle weight and driving 'style'. The heavier your Cheyenne is the more its verve will be blunted and a simple and certain way of improving its acceleration and hill-climbing would be to 'de-junk' and get the weight down. If you are one of the (many) drivers who are reluctant to downshift to exploit a motor's power-output characteristics (and the gearing of a 2000 Ducato 2.8 won't help in this respect), then you'll need a lot of extra oomph if you want to overtake or hill-climb rapidly using a high gear.

Archived