Currency Cards

Petra

We have just got back from a trip to France where we used a currency card for the first time. I had no trouble using it at supermarkets and shops or when drawing money from cash machines but it seemed that the automated pumps at fuel stations would not accept it. Other people we spoke to said their debit cards were not accepted either. Has anyone else had this happen or does anyone know if their is a currency card that is accepted at fuel stations. We never tried using it at aire payment machines so can anyone tell me if they used theirs and whether they are accepted or whether it is just credit cards.

We have the FX card, a master card, it didn't work on French Tolls or Portugal Tolls, worked in most but not all Supermarkets and most but not all Filling Stations. So we always took our Visa Debit card, just in case. Be interested to know if anyone has a pre paid card they have managed to use everywhere

crbtaylor - 2013-07-14 5:36 PM

We have the FX card, a master card, it didn't work on French Tolls or Portugal Tolls, worked in most but not all Supermarkets and most but not all Filling Stations. So we always took our Visa Debit card, just in case. Be interested to know if anyone has a pre paid card they have managed to use everywhere

I have a FairFX card and it worked as you say only in some supermarkets this is because in Portugal some supermarkets will only accept a local debit card this includes Aldi and Lidl. Continente and other large supermarket chains will accept all cards. I never had any trouble with a FX card at filling stations in Portugal, Spain or France.

Dave

I have 2 Caxton FX Visa cards. 1 European Traveller and 1 Global Traveller. Both these cards work perfectly everywhere except for some automatic filling stations which for some reason they don't. However, at manned filling stations the do work and never had a problem with a supermarket ATMs etc.

Usually their rate is top notch as well.

I always carry a Barclaycard visa as well and have never had a problem anywhere with this.

Mike

scramblers - 2013-07-14 3:38 PM

I use a Post Office credit card.

I have never had it 'refused' at any supermarket or petrol station.

Provided it is preloaded then there is no interest or charge for using the card for cash or payment abroad.

Are you absolutely certain about that?

I'm interested as I have a Cash Passport pre-loaded card and they do make a charge each time it's used to make a payment.

Unless it's a typo, then it looks like you are confusing a credit card with pre-loaded cash card.

Bulletguy - 2013-07-15 4:47 PM

scramblers - 2013-07-14 3:38 PM

I use a Post Office credit card.

I have never had it 'refused' at any supermarket or petrol station.

Provided it is preloaded then there is no interest or charge for using the card for cash or payment abroad.

Are you absolutely certain about that?

I'm interested as I have a Cash Passport pre-loaded card and they do make a charge each time it's used to make a payment.

Unless it's a typo, then it looks like you are confusing a credit card with pre-loaded cash card.

I don't think you are allowed to pre-load credit cards but we use a Halifax Clarity Credit Card when abroad for both purchases and cash withdrawals. You get the bank rate (not the lower tourist rate) and provided you pay off cash withdrawals within 48 hours there is no charge.

On the wider subject, we have used the Halifax Clarity Card (MasterCard) and the Nationwide Debit Card (Visa) in petrol stations etc in the EU with no problems at all.

John 47 - 2013-07-16 11:24 AM

I don't think you are allowed to pre-load credit cards but we use a Halifax Clarity Credit Card when abroad for both purchases and cash withdrawals. You get the bank rate (not the lower tourist rate) and provided you pay off cash withdrawals within 48 hours there is no charge.

On the wider subject, we have used the Halifax Clarity Card (MasterCard) and the Nationwide Debit Card (Visa) in petrol stations etc in the EU with no problems at all.

BIB.......you can't......otherwise it wouldn't be Credit!

I think the poster either made a 'typo' or has it confused with the pre-loaded Cash cards.

Hi If you read the card websites it says that you can't use it on auto petrol pumps and some toll roads, it is something to do with the amount of money it takes off the card before it dispenses the fuel, then it repays it at a latter date.

Perhaps those where it worked had enough money on the card to allow this or perhaps the auto companies are changing the way the system works to allow you to fill up?

Pete

Bulletguy - 2013-07-16 3:23 PM

John 47 - 2013-07-16 11:24 AM

BIB.......you can't......otherwise it wouldn't be Credit!

I think the poster either made a 'typo' or has it confused with the pre-loaded Cash cards.

I know - I was just trying to be gentle with him! :-D

I spoke to Caxton on my return from France two weeks ago as the new Caxton VISA card as opposed to the Mastercard they issued up until this year performed different;y.

Apparently Mastercard overload filling station transactions and return the overload later so the filling station can not loose out whereas VISA don't they just take the cost of fuel bought. .

Therefore Visa is not as widely accepted by automated filling stations (and toll booths) as the Mastercard was. Other than that the card works well and has a good exchange rate.

We have decided to make things easier in future, we will mainly use the card to draw cash from ATMs and use cash rather than have the card declined which can be a little embarrassing.

We recently used Thomas Cook pre paid Cash Passport in Canada. No problems at all except in Petrol Stations.

One of us had to go into the shop while the other put the fuel in and paid in the shop rather than in the pump.

All supermarkets/shops/restaurants accepted with out a single problem. No charges at all with the exception of ATM's which we knew anyway.

I'd definitley use it again.

Archived