Bailey launches new range - including a UK first

Andrew MMM

I was hoping a 'twin single bed over garage' model would be part of the revamp and it is - the 750. Sadly however the beds are only 5'10" long which must be the shortest out there by some margin and no good for us. You'd need to be about 5'6" or under to be able to sleep comfortably. What were they thinking?

I see that they've added extra weight to the front of the 760 (now 765) in the way of a drop down bed, but with no changes to the permitted axle weights. Given that the current 760 can scarcely be operated legally with just driver and a single passenger on board (as my trip to the weighbridge showed) the claim that this now "makes a six-berth with six travel seats" really is going a bit far! Manufacturers really should be a bit more responsible than this in my opinion.

What you have to remember is that these are not road tests per se, they are just a reprint of the makers blurb, a few pretty pictures, a short test drive and then ONE person's opinion - many of who have less actual living in, both short and longer term and long distance travel experience than most of us on here!

Sorry but going back many many years I have never found any motorhome road test to be of much value other than to highlight layouts that, in spite of what the testers say, might or might not work for most people in real life usage.

They might make interesting reading for some and they fill a few pages but don't for heaven's sake buy a van on the strength of a magazine road test or some silly flimflam of the year award - use your own noddle to work out what does and does not work for you.

Guest JudgeMental
Indeed .......from the numpty who spend all his time on here, learns nothing, and still goes out and buys overweight, overpriced british rubbish, then pass it on rather quickly to some other poor mug.....You really have some neck with all your pontificating!lol

Tracker - 2013-07-20 10:02 AM

You can always rely on Judged Mental, who has never made a mistake in his life and even if he has his ego would never allow him admit it in public, to post thoughtful and kindly words of tripe. (lol)

I don't wish to comment on the above but I thought this might amuse......In my family it was said that my father only admitted to being wrong once in his life and that is when he thought he was wrong but had actually been right. :-D

Muswell - 2013-07-20 10:09 AM

Tracker - 2013-07-20 10:02 AM

You can always rely on Judged Mental, who has never made a mistake in his life and even if he has his ego would never allow him admit it in public, to post thoughtful and kindly words of tripe. (lol)

I don't wish to comment on the above but I thought this might amuse......In my family it was said that my father only admitted to being wrong once in his life and that is when he thought he was wrong but had actually been right. :-D

Well blow me - what a coincidence - sincere commiserations to you - I didn't realise that Eddie was your Dad - everyone has their cross to bear but yours is just too much for one person to carry!!

Notwithstanding the above interaction ;-) , I suppose someone had to be the first British manufacturer to add a drop down front lounge bed to a coachbuilt. Let's hope some of the others have similar ideas in progress. Would be good to get a more level playing field ie more choice.

For many users (including us), only a fixed bed will do - one with proper sheets, duvet, pillows, you know, just like at home. When spending 3 or 4 months away from home, a sofa with sleeping bag doesn't cut it.

So, a drop down gives fixed bed comfort to non-fixed bed vans. We need more.

A drop down bed is fine, provided it drops down to 'Normal bed height', otherwise climbing or descending a ladder is a 'No No' with many of the folk who actually have the dosh to buy a new motorhome ( usually folks over 65, spending their useless savings before they dissapear altogether with inflation). Most of young folk with kids seem to either Caravan, or fly abroad. Ray

Be reasonable Ray, a drop-down bed is always going to drop down over other seats, furniture etc. and normal bed height of 40cm or so will never be achievable.

There has to be an element of making do, clambering up ladders etc. involved or it (living in the van) wouldn't be the fun it is. Might as well stay at home.

First thanks Andrew for posting info 're this new drop down on the forum. Great that a British manufacturer has at last caught up to some degree with the European makers,particularly the French who tend to lead in this respect, let's hope others follow. But they are still behind as trend now is for drop down front beds with fixed rear island beds. We are happy with British built vans, but just wish they were more innovative.

Steve928 - 2013-07-20 6:39 PM

Be reasonable Ray, a drop-down bed is always going to drop down over other seats, furniture etc. and normal bed height of 40cm or so will never be achievable.

There has to be an element of making do, clambering up ladders etc. involved or it (living in the van) wouldn't be the fun it is. Might as well stay at home.

Thanks for the advice, but my wife is Disabled and any ladders or clambering are a 'no-no'.

But she likes to get out too, staying at home is no fun at all. And surely getting a bed down to a normal height, is not beyond these designer guys. They are supposed to be innoventive aren't they ? Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-07-21 11:32 PM

Steve928 - 2013-07-20 6:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, but my wife is Disabled and any ladders or clambering are a 'no-no'.

But she likes to get out too, staying at home is no fun at all. And surely getting a bed down to a normal height, is not beyond these designer guys. They are supposed to be innoventive aren't they ? Ray

As you say, Ray, getting a drop down bed to 'normal bed height' with furniture in the way is going to be difficult, even for the innovative.

In order to use all of the 'volume' in a MH (as opposed to just 'floor area') designers have to include height in their thinking if we all want facilities in a shorter overall van length.

Using the underspace of a rear fixed bed as a garage is one way this works, adding a ceiling bed over a lounge is another.

Yes, I agree that for older or more infirm users steps and climbing are not the thing at bedtime, however for those who want a flat, smooth, comfy, solid bed that can be parked easily (in lieu of a evening/morning jigsaw puzzle of a bed that is not really comfortable) this must be an idea worth considering.

For this reason alone, it;s great to see a British manufacturer at least having a go.

For us, our next van is likely to have a larger garage for electric bikes which means a rear high bed, but a drop down over the lounge means that you get A-Class flexibility in a normal Ducato cab MH.

Andrew MMM - 2013-07-18 2:24 PM

After just two years making motorhomes, Bailey of Bristol, has taken the industry by storm having launched the first drop-down bed motorhome built by a British manufacturer.

Not sure about such a bold statement, my 11 year old Swift Bel-Air 730 has a drop down bed and is built by a British manufacturer.... *-)

neilmac - 2013-07-22 12:41 PM
Andrew MMM - 2013-07-18 2:24 PM

After just two years making motorhomes, Bailey of Bristol, has taken the industry by storm having launched the first drop-down bed motorhome built by a British manufacturer.

Not sure about such a bold statement, my 11 year old Swift Bel-Air 730 has a drop down bed and is built by a British manufacturer.... *-)

A fair point. First in a low-profile probably clarifies things.

Isn't the 'Bel-Air' an 'A' class ? and didn't Autosleeper market one too at one time ? (think it was called a 'Mirage' or something) and I recollect that Auto Trail tried one as well, Wonder why NONE of them carried on with the 'A' Class type ?? there are plenty of (foreign built) A classes on british roads, so there must be a demand for them. Any 'bright sparks' out there know the answer ?? Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-07-22 10:52 PM

Isn't the 'Bel-Air' an 'A' class ? and didn't Autosleeper market one too at one time ? (think it was called a 'Mirage' or something) and I recollect that Auto Trail tried one as well, Wonder why NONE of them carried on with the 'A' Class type ?? there are plenty of (foreign built) A classes on british roads, so there must be a demand for them. Any 'bright sparks' out there know the answer ?? Ray

Yes the Bel-Air is an A-Class and I think the other British one was an Autotrail. Because of the short production times there always negative opinions of them but I don't think there was enough British demand at the time to give the returns required to make a profit from what were basically hand built motorhomes (The Swift ones anyway).

Now would be a different situation IMHO :-)

Just read the test report of the Bailey in the MMM. Strange that the bed runs longitudinally and is 'french bed' shaped over a double dinnette rather than a transverse bed like many other brands.

This means it is lowered on belts rather than some of the mechanical methods employed by others. I dont see it being as stable as some.

This seems to be a particularly 'British' layout and not of interest to someone contemplating a Burstner, Adria or similar so perhaps not a competitor after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that this huge investment, in a new range, means that Bailey will be launching these Vans into mainland Europe.

They could do very well, with their very comprehensive "standard" spec and quality of construction. Most of the Manufacturers that they would be competing with still offer either a fairly basic Motorhome - with almost everything being extra, or a high spec matched by a higher price.

There is a lot of interest in timber free construction and higher levels of insulation in Europe - which should also give them and edge.

Archived