roof aircon

bazooka

On the outside yes, inside no. The cooling circuit tends to attract moisture out of the air it is cooling, this is called condensate as it is effectively water droplets condensed out of the air onto the cool surface of the air cooling unit. I had a motorhome on the lift this morning that had travelled just 30 miles with the in cab air con running and the condensate was running at about four drips per second from underneath. Similar story for roof mounted air con but it can only (normally) go onto the roof.

D.

bazooka - 2013-07-18 6:36 PM

Is it normal for water to drip from roof air con after prolonged use.My van was sloping down towards the drivers side front corner at the time.

BAZ

You did not specify if the water was in/or outside. We have roof aircon, and that will condense water on the roof, which will run off, ours usually down the side of the van, but maybe you where at a more sharpe angle, or your roof is not so "crowded" as ours is, with a large roof light and a sat dome, in front of the aircon.

SO if the water is out side no problem

PJay

Hi Bazooka, Dave is correct in his statement on the function of the Aircon. However the condensate should be drained overboard. In your case it obviously is not. This maybe caused by a leak or blockage in the drainage system or, due to high levels of humidity in the atmosphere, overloading the drainage system. There are two main functions of the aircon system: One to cool the air and two to reduce the humidity of the air. It is debatable as to which gives the greater comfort.

Phill

Thanks Dave and others for your replies to my problem,the dripping was inside the van.

Baz

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Baz,

I had the same problem with my Dometic B2200 last year and as it is over the bed it dripped on that I had a mate that is in air conditioning that sorted it for me.

What he had to do was drain the gas out and refill it the problem was that Dometic do not fit a drain valve so he had to fit one but I am away now in France and it is working perfect.

You say you are from the potteries send me a pm let me know where about you are and I will give you his number he was very reasonable.

Mike.

bazooka - 2013-07-19 9:38 AM

Thanks Dave and others for your replies to my problem,the dripping was inside the van.

Baz

Then, as Dave says, that is abnormal, and should not be happening.

Your aircon is basically a roof mounted compressor fridge, but with a fan instead of a cabinet. The refridgerant is cooled via the compressor and the cold refridgerant is fed through a heat exchanger similar to a car radiator, instead of being fed to the evaporator plates in a fridge. The fan blows air over the cold radiator, so cooling the air, which is then directed into the van.

So, just as when you pull that nice chilled bottle of white out of the fridge on a warm day and it immediately gets covered in moisture, your cold a/c radiator will be beaded with moisture - the condensate. For obvious reasons, that should stay outside, and there is usually a trap somewhere to gather it, from which it should be discharged harmlessly outside the van.

So, if it is getting into the van, it suggests the outlet from the condense trap is blocked. Has your unit been serviced recently (there are usually also filters that need changing periodically, and the heat exchanger also benefits from a clean)? It may be a different fault, but I suspect the condense trap (or at least the outlet) is full of crud, and is over-flowing, and just needs cleaing out.

Hi Baz just remember that when you take the cover off the two stage rivets that hold it on (if it is a Dometic) break off and they charge around £30 with P&P for a new set.

Unless Dave or someone else can tell you how to get them out without breaking them.

Mike.

Archived