Alas poor Mel Smith

Tracker

Mel Smith has died from a heart attack aged just 60.

One of the last generation of truly funny comedians who, along with Grif Rhys Jones and others, seemed able to write and get laughs from genuinely funny situations and scenes without the need for offensive language.

I well remember Not The Nine O'Clock News, Alas Smith & Jones and Mr Bean, which he directed.

Our sympathies must go to his family and friends.

Their most brilliant sketch was the restaurant one after the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy in 1980.

It was bizarre to have what really happened interpreted as someone trying to get served a meal.

But when the punch line came with a grand meal appearing out of nowhere thanks to the SAS i remember we all burst into applause in our house.

He was an integral part of a great comedy world - he will be sadly missed.

Guest Had Enough

It's a great shame as he was, as has been said, a great comedian and sixty is no age.

However, there is some very good news on the comedian front. I read today that Frankie Boyle has gone on a hunger strike to protest about some Muslim terrorist who's in Guantanamo Bay prisoner of war camp.

All we can do is pray for Frankie and hope that he has the moral strength to continue his hunger strike to its inevitable conclusion.

Had Enough - 2013-07-20 7:01 PM

It's a great shame as he was, as has been said, a great comedian and sixty is no age.

However, there is some very good news on the comedian front. I read today that Frankie Boyle has gone on a hunger strike to protest about some Muslim terrorist who's in Guantanamo Bay prisoner of war camp.

All we can do is pray for Frankie and hope that he has the moral strength to continue his hunger strike to its inevitable conclusion.

I'll pull you up over two points, not eating for one week is hardly a hunger strike.

Since when has Shaker Aamer been a muslim terrorist?

Guest Had Enough
colin - 2013-07-20 11:27 PM

I'll pull you up over two points, not eating for one week is hardly a hunger strike.

Yes but hopefully he'll extend it!

Sorry, I should have said a potential Muslim terrorist. Although he was only in Tora Bora on a camping holiday and just nipped over the hill to ask them to keep the noise down.

Had Enough - 2013-07-20 11:46 PM

Sorry, I should have said a potential Muslim terrorist. Although he was only in Tora Bora on a camping holiday and just nipped over the hill to ask them to keep the noise down.

:D :D :D

Had Enough - 2013-07-20 11:46 PM

I'm no fan of Frankie Boyle but I find your comments reveal an awful lot about you - wishing ill on somebody you don't agree with and being in favour of locking somebody up for over ten years without trial (or evidence, as the USA has admitted!). Not only wise but compassionate too! (lol) (lol)

Back to the original post - Mel Smith was a very funny man who brought joy to many. Very sad.

Guest Had Enough
John 47 - 2013-07-21 11:07 AM

I'm no fan of Frankie Boyle but I find your comments reveal an awful lot about you - wishing ill on somebody you don't agree with and being in favour of locking somebody up for over ten years without trial (or evidence, as the USA has admitted!). Not only wise but compassionate too! (lol) (lol)

Back to the original post - Mel Smith was a very funny man who brought joy to many. Very sad.

And your comments prove what I've always suspect of you, that you're a po-faced humourless leftie! I did post about Boyle as a bit of fun but your response got me thinking about some of the things that this vile creature has said over the years and I did a quick Google. Here are ten of them. The one about Madeleine McCann sums him up.

So although I posted in jest, your response and what I have found as a result of it now makes me me say, quite categorically, that I hope that Frankie Boyle continues his hunger strike and that he dies a lingering death from it. He's a disgrace to the human race.

Typical Frankie Boyle jokes include:

10. Barack Obama

‘When Barack Obama was giving his speech after being elected as president, he had to do it behind three inch thick bullet-proof glass. I thought that was a bit harsh – just because he’s black doesn’t mean he’s going to shoot anyone.’

9. Michael Jackson

‘Before Michael Jackson died he weighed less than nine stone and the only thing he would eat willingly was nachos. Nachos being the name of a young Mexican boy.’

8. British Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington (in the run-up to London 2012)

‘I worry that Rebecca Adlington will have an unfair advantage in the swimming by possessing a dolphin’s face.’

7. Pope Pope Benedict XVI (in the wake of his recent resignation)

‘The Pope must have done something that even the Catholic church found unacceptable. My theory is that he f***ed an adult woman.’

6. Pregnant Kate Middleton

‘I can’t believe she is pregnant to be honest because she told me she was on the pill.’

5. The late Princess Diana

‘I thought it was sad that they had that concert for Princess Diana I mean she didnt have much to do with pop music , they should have have done something that celebrated what was really great about her life … by staging a gang bang in a minefield.’

4. Camilla Parker Bowles

‘Does anyone think that Camilla is what Princess Diana would look like if she survived the crash?’

3. The Queen

‘I wish the Queen had died the night before the Royal Jubilee – I wish she’d just f***ing died. But they wouldn’t have been able to tell us that she’d died. They would have had to hollow out her body and get that guy who plays Gollum to wear it.’

2. Katie Price’s son, Harvey

‘Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him. I have a theory that Jordan married a cage fighter cause she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her.’

1. Madeleine McCann (in the wake of Jimmy Savile sex-offender claims)

‘Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCann in heaven.’

Had Enough - 2013-07-21 12:02 PM

So although I posted in jest, your response and what I have found as a result of it now makes me me say, quite categorically, that I hope that Frankie Boyle continues his hunger strike and that he dies a lingering death from it. He's a disgrace to the human race.

The thread was originally about Mel Smith until you opted to use it to yet again try and impose your own unpleasant views on everyone else.

Stop contradicting yourself and trying to save face - either it was a serious comment about Frankie Boyle or it was a joke - you can't have it both ways.

Perhaps one day you will find the common decency to say something good about anyone without snide comments included.

You really are a distasteful little troll - and this time I am not joking.

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-07-21 12:28 PM

The thread was originally about Mel Smith until you opted to use it to yet again try and impose your own unpleasant views on everyone else.

Stop contradicting yourself and trying to save face - either it was a serious comment about Frankie Boyle or it was a joke - you can't have it both ways.

Perhaps one day you will find the common decency to say something good about anyone without snide comments included.

There really is no need for this attack Tracker. I posted to agree with you about Mel Smith and also to add a touch of humour by mentioning the fact that Frankie Boyle was on a hunger strike.

We then had the po-faced and humourless response from John47.

My original post was in jest but when after John47's attack I Googled Frankie Boyle and discovered he is far more vile than I had ever considered. I changed my mind and said that I would be happy if he starved himself to death - and I would be!

A man who can joke about Jimmy Savile having sex with Madelaine McCann is lower than low.

There was no attempt to hijack anything or to impose my views on anyone. I thought I'd posted a bit of fun until John47 did his left-liberal crusade act on me!

And I still think that Frankie Boyle isn't fit to lick Mel Smith's boots.

You have over-reacted to the nth degree here I'm afraid.

Had Enough - 2013-07-21 6:57 PM

You have over-reacted to the nth degree here I'm afraid.

You think so?

Just as you are entitled to post your view without being subjected to a tirade of abuse, so too is everyone else, a point that you seem to conveniently overlook day in day out.

Given the dishing out of bile to all and sundry that you carry out day in day out you have a heck of a nerve telling me that I over reacted and I respectfully suggest that you get real and look in the mirror.

I would also suggest that supporters of your opinion are somewhat harder to come by than rocking horse doo dah?

What does everyone else think?

As you, Tracker, have asked what we think, I think that not only was Mel Smith pretty good at comedy, he was also no mean hand as an actor.

I loved his performance as Sir Toby Belch in the enjoyable “12th Night” [filmed on location at St Michael’s Mount] where he explored another side to the character. And his portrayal of the Hotel Manager in Poliakoff’s “Dancing on the Edge” on TV recently showed a future giving performances as a good character actor.

Alas… performances we will now not be able to see. Our loss.

Gwen

John 47 - 2013-07-21 11:07 AM

And your comments prove what I've always suspect of you, that you're a po-faced humourless leftie! I did post about Boyle as a bit of fun but your response got me thinking about some of the things that this vile creature has said over the years and I did a quick Google. Here are ten of them. The one about Madeleine McCann sums him up.

Typical Frankie Boyle jokes include:

10. Barack Obama

‘When Barack Obama was giving his speech after being elected as president, he had to do it behind three inch thick bullet-proof glass. I thought that was a bit harsh – just because he’s black doesn’t mean he’s going to shoot anyone.’

9. Michael Jackson

‘Before Michael Jackson died he weighed less than nine stone and the only thing he would eat willingly was nachos. Nachos being the name of a young Mexican boy.’

8. British Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington (in the run-up to London 2012)

‘I worry that Rebecca Adlington will have an unfair advantage in the swimming by possessing a dolphin’s face.’

7. Pope Pope Benedict XVI (in the wake of his recent resignation)

‘The Pope must have done something that even the Catholic church found unacceptable. My theory is that he f***ed an adult woman.’

6. Pregnant Kate Middleton

‘I can’t believe she is pregnant to be honest because she told me she was on the pill.’

5. The late Princess Diana

‘I thought it was sad that they had that concert for Princess Diana I mean she didnt have much to do with pop music , they should have have done something that celebrated what was really great about her life … by staging a gang bang in a minefield.’

4. Camilla Parker Bowles

‘Does anyone think that Camilla is what Princess Diana would look like if she survived the crash?’

3. The Queen

‘I wish the Queen had died the night before the Royal Jubilee – I wish she’d just f***ing died. But they wouldn’t have been able to tell us that she’d died. They would have had to hollow out her body and get that guy who plays Gollum to wear it.’

2. Katie Price’s son, Harvey

‘Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him. I have a theory that Jordan married a cage fighter cause she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her.’

1. Madeleine McCann (in the wake of Jimmy Savile sex-offender claims)

‘Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCann in heaven.’

Thank you for confirming that you are indeed a humourless arrogant know-it-all with absolutely no compassion at all.

Guest Had Enough
John 47 - 2013-07-21 8:58 PM

Thank you for confirming that you are indeed a humourless arrogant know-it-all with absolutely no compassion at all.

I strongly object to that. I'm not humourless. If Frankie Boyle starved himself to death I'd p*ss myself laughing. ;-)

Apart from that we appear to have a lot in common! (lol)

Had Enough - 2013-07-21 9:14 PM

I strongly object to that. I'm not humourless. If Frankie Boyle starved himself to death I'd p*ss myself laughing. ;-)

If you mean that you and Frankie Boyle have a lot in common then I can wholeheartedly agree with that - arrogant and insensitive are two things that immediately spring to mind :-D

Guest Had Enough
John 47 - 2013-07-21 9:42 PM

If you mean that you and Frankie Boyle have a lot in common then I can wholeheartedly agree with that - arrogant and insensitive are two things that immediately spring to mind :-D

Well, that would be three of us! We could form a trio. Frankie and Johnny (and the late Frankie hopefully). ;-)

This is fun! (lol)

We'd better pack it in though or Tracker, the most loved member of this forum, will be round soon with his big stick! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Gwendolyn - 2013-07-21 9:37 PM

Tracker - 2013-07-21 7:52 PM

At last - a sane posting - many thanks Gwen!!

Well, I tried to pay due respects to a well respected man.

Alas.....

You may notice that we all did, but threads divert just like real conversation!

Had Enough - 2013-07-21 9:46 PM

John 47 - 2013-07-21 9:42 PM

Well, that would be three of us! We could form a trio. Frankie and Johnny (and the late Frankie hopefully). ;-)

This is fun! (lol)

We'd better pack it in though or Tracker, the most loved member of this forum, will be round soon with his big stick! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Whatever my faults, I don't see a threesome involving you as part of my future! (lol)

Guest peter
Tracker - 2013-07-21 12:28 PM

Well said Richard. He recently pulled you up for making comments supposedly as a joke, without using a smiley. Well, didn't he just do the exact same thing he accused you of?. hypocrite, indeed and I'm not joking either.

Guest Had Enough
peter - 2013-07-21 9:52 PM

Well said Richard. He recently pulled you up for making comments supposedly as a joke, without using a smiley. Well, didn't he just do the exact same thing he accused you of?. hypocrite, indeed and I'm not joking either.

Yes, but the difference is that I wasn't making a joke about, or having a go at, a member of the forum! I don't think that Frankie Boyle will be too upset that I didn't use a smiley. If he's still alive of course! (lol)

But here's one for you just in case! (lol)

And one for Tracker in case he gets jealous as I know that you two really can't stand each other! (lol)

Ps You took three lines there, you're getting very wordy! ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-07-21 10:00 PM

And one for Tracker in case he gets jealous as I know that you two really can't stand each other! (lol)

When I need a pompous egotist to tell me what I like and don't like please rest assured that I will consider you at the head of the list - but until that time kindly refrain from telling others what you think I like and don't like.

It is fair to say that Peter and I have crossed swords on many occasions and no doubt will again but unlike you both Peter and I are capable of taking each posting on it's own merit and personalities do not come into it - something you would do well to learn.

I am not given to quotes but here is one that applies to you.

'He who shows no respect for others is himself unworthy to receive any respect from others.'

Allegedly quoted by the ancient Chinese philosopher Wun Hung Lo.

Archived