Flashing oil light - Peugeot Boxer 2007 2.2 litre

colin weston

Guest Peter James
Steve928 - 2013-08-28 9:13 AM

Just reviving Colin's old thread because I have now suffered the same problem.

I do my own servicing and the van (2008 2.2 Boxer) had a recent oil change, using the correct oil, at 23400 miles but I had no means of resetting the service indicator in the ECU.

At 24000 miles as expected the spanner light iluminated and stayed on for 1000kms/625miles of our journey south and then went out by itself.

All sorted, or so I thought..

Then about 1500 miles later (it didn't seem to be at a round number in either miles or kikometers but could have been at the following restart) the oil pressure light began flashing a few times after each time the engine was started.

Now back home with almost 27000 on the clock and it's still doing it and the manual says to 'carry out the PEUGEOT service'.

Perhaps it will eventually give up trying to remind me or perhaps there's a third even more annoying stage yet to come.. Guess I'll have to get it reset.

Thats exactly what I got with my 2008 manufactured 2.2 X2/50 Citroen Relay. Now at 32000 miles, I still get the oil light flashing on start up, and the change engine oil message on the LCD dashboard screen, even though I last changed the oil and filter in January this year at 24,200 miles, using 10w40 semi synthetic A3/B4 spec oil recommended by the Citroen Dealer Perrys Barnsley who sold its Workshop Foreman (I rang him up because there was no driver's handbook with it), it was still telling me to change the oil both before and after I had done it. PS: I used this same oil when I changed the oil at 7450 miles but it didn't start telling me t change it till 24,000 miles.

I've got used to ignoring it now, just like all the rattling crockery and cutlery in the back (lol)

Peter James - 2013-08-29 4:03 PM

Thats exactly what I got with my 2008 manufactured 2.2 X2/50 Citroen Relay. Now at 32000 miles, I still get the oil light flashing on start up, and the change engine oil message on the LCD dashboard screen, even though I last changed the oil and filter in January this year at 24,200 miles, using 10w40 semi synthetic A3/B4 spec oil recommended by the Citroen Dealer Perrys Barnsley who sold its Workshop Foreman (I rang him up because there was no driver's handbook with it), it was still telling me to change the oil both before and after I had done it. PS: I used this same oil when I changed the oil at 7450 miles but it didn't start telling me t change it till 24,000 miles.

I've got used to ignoring it now, just like all the rattling crockery and cutlery in the back (lol)

Thanks Peter. So it seems that I can just ignore it and leave it to flash for a few seconds each startup.

That's good - I was afraid it might go into limp home mode at some future point..

Strangely I'm not aware of of a 'change engine oil' message on the LCD panel, but that may be just because I haven't been paying attention.

The oil change at 23400 was in fact its third, all using Total Quartz 9000 5w/40 and a new filter, so I have no doubts about the quality of oil in there.

P.S. Nick, thanks for the kind offer. Actually I passed close to Leicester yesterday heading home to Scotland but have no plans to be that way again any time soon.

Guest Peter James
Steve928 - 2013-08-29 6:27 PM

Total Quartz 9000 5w/40 and a new filter, so I have no doubts about the quality of oil in there.

Total is Recommended by Peugeot Citroen because they make money on it Peugeot would no more recommend another brand of oil than recommend Mercedes vans. But they do concede that A3/B4 is acceptable where Total is not available, the nearest you will get to a recommendation. So thats what I use - at £9.99 for a 4.5 litre can from the local http://www.bmstores.co.uk/

At the Pickering Steam Fair met a Whitevanman with a 2008 van the same as mine but with 300000 miles on the clock. He has had no engine problems, so I expect my van engine to see me out whatever oil I put in.

But like other X2/50 whitevanmen I have spoken too, he has had a major gearbox failure. I wonder if thats something to do with this new idea of never changing the gearbox oil - or even checking the gearbox oil level because there is no means to do so!!!

I have 3 no. Euro4 turbo diesels here on the drive and they all get fed Total Quartz 5w/40 which I buy in bulk.

The other 2 of them are Renaults for which Elf Evolution SXR 5w/40 is recommended but I happen to know that that and the Total Quartz are the very same oil in different containers, Elf being part of Totale..

Actually I did change the van's gearbox oil recently as I lost a small but unquantifiable amount when a driveshaft popped-out during a strut overhaul. That is another minefield: Fiat state the oil quantity for the 2.2 100 as 2.4 litres of a very specific Selenia (Fiat's brand) oil different to that in the 2.3 or the 3.0, whereas Peugeot say the quantity is 2.7 litres of their usual 'one oil fits all' Total BV75/80..

Regarding changing gearbox oil.....

There is no stipulation regarding periodic replacement of the oil but it should always be drained if you are removing the gearbox for a replacement clutch or other repair and refilled with fresh oil.

I would also recommend that if you have been driving through a lot of standing water that could have reached the top of your gearbox it may be worth having the oil replaced at your next service.

The point was also made about checking the level and topping up; there is no need to do this because gearbox oil is not consumed, only contaminated over time. If, on the other hand there is a leak, the leak would be identified, repaired and the box topped up as required. Also a good time to replace all of the oil.

If you have not had a leak or gearbox repair, or clutch for more than 5 years; I would suggest that for the relatively small cost involved, a change of gearbox oil can do absolutely no harm and will undoubtedly prolong the life of the box. It's what i would do.

Nick

Guest Peter James
euroserv - 2013-08-30 9:01 AM

If, on the other hand there is a leak, the leak would be identified, repaired and the box topped up as required.

Nick

Yes, thats what concerns me most Nick. If they had kept the level plug you could see if anything was leaking out, or leaking in, unless of course they counteracted each other. I really don't like this new idea of having no means of checking the oil level. It seems as barmy as the high ratio reverse gear.

• 9 months later...
Colin I have the same problem on my Citroen Relay 2.2hdi it came on at 30,000 miles i changed the oil pressure switch, still the same the vans now on 175000 miles and still flashing away on start up, its never been a problem, its still running fine

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys, I have just had the same thing happen with my 2012 2.2L Boxer Elddis Autoquest 120! The oil light flashes 31 times on startup then goes out, but NO warning indication on the display. I had it serviced by a non Peugeot garage some 400 miles ago, it is now at 20.000 miles. The light started flashing whilst driving, (in darkness, so I saw it immediately) I stopped, switched off and checked the dipstick which showed all ok level wise. I then restarted and the flashing oil light saga at startup began ! The handbook says possible oil degradation. The servicing mechanic has since put it on the Snap On diagnostic computer and is showed Generic OBD Error Code P0600. he reset it twice but it still came up again

Another mechanic friend checked out the Code info for me and has come up with the following :

Symptoms

Possible symptoms of OBD code P0600

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0600

- ECM Harness - ECM connectors - Low battery voltage - Faulty ECM

I eliminated the low battery cause by an extended overnight charge (outside air temp was minus 3c !) Light still flashed 31 times on startup ! and battery voltage not dropping.

I am assured that the correct oil was used and was obtained from the local Peugeot Main Dealer's parts dept.

I am tempted to do an oil & filter change myself to see if this effects a cure!

Anybody got any more thoughts on this one?

Until the 'Correct Guy' comes along (euroserv), this sounds like a possible 'earth strap' fault, or possibly the wiring loom behind the L/H headlamp ? Evidently both can cause very 'Srange' faults, and not necessarily 'random' as you would expect....................of course i could be (and probably am) Wrong. *-) Good luck Ray

Dailly Dickie - 2015-02-17 9:21 PM

Anybody got any more thoughts on this one?

If your van is Euro4 without DPF (which the '120' leads me to think despite it being registered in 2012) then we now know from many experiences exactly what happens regarding the flashing oil light.

- it starts to flash for 1 minute upon the next engine start after the service interval has been exceeded without the oil counters having been reset.

- it never stops doing this but it never escalates to a further level either.

- there are no fault codes associated with it.

- the engine has no oil quality sensor.

So, your case is unlike the norm because it started while driving and your mileage is too low at 20,000 and you have a recurring fault code.

However, if your van is Euro5 with a DPF (which I thought would make it a '130' but I may be wrong..) then I'm not aware of anyone on here having encountered this yet. The engine will have an oil quality sensor and that fact plus the associated fault code would point to it being a somewhat different scenario and we may be breaking new ground here..

Hello,

I have never seen a flashing oil light on a Ducato but then my extensive experience is limited to 2.3 and 3.0 engines.

If it's a 120hp model then it definitely is a Euro4 and will not have a DPF unless it's some strange Euro import.

This is most likely to be a wiring fault somewhere in the loom close to the fuse box and quite conceivably in the blue connector under the fuse box. It will require a fair amount of investigation but that is definitely the right place to start looking. Most of the wiring is situated underneath the NS headlamp; so you will have to take that out first.

Nick

Hi All, Thanks for all the information and possible explanations, I have decided to let the Peugeot Main Dealer sort it out, as the van is under Warranty until September this year. Surely they will effect a proper and lasting solution, or am I too trusting ? On the phone, the Service Manager said "That is the indication of requiring an oil & filter change" ????? so I will wait and see and let you all know how it goes, it's booked in for 09;00 hours tomorrow.

• 8 months later...

We have had this issue on 3 of our vehicles in the last month !!!

2013 / 63 plate boxer 2.2 16000 miles just after main dealer 2 year service

2015 / 65 plate boxer 2.2 1200 miles less than a month old

2015 / 64 plate boxer 2.2 6000 miles

All have been replaced under warranty as faulty oil sensors and had software issues according to the main dealer.

Peugeot service manager claims that this is not a common fault.

I think anybody who has been duped in to a main dealer oil and filter change needs to get there money back !!

It is definitely a Peugeot issue and with the mileages and ages of our vehicles the oil quality should be good unless Peugeot are manufacturing them with the wrong oil !

Please share on as many motorhome forums as possible to make other Peugeot owners aware of this potential RIP OFF !

I have a Fiat 2.2 the flashing oil light is oil degradation warning it comes on at a certain mileage if the service interval was not reset. It's a fault code that does not trigger the EML but needs removing from the ECU

I use this a cheap solution which also allows service interval reset

http://www.multiecuscan.com/

Also this may be worth reading

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/356558-oil-can-symbol-flashing.html

Archived