Recommendation for first campsite ?

ChrissyG

Hiring a Motor home for the first time in August with the view of purchasing our own in the near future.

We dont want to venture too far from home (Ayrshire) as we only have it for 3 days. We were thinking about the Dumfries and Galloway area and wondered if you could suggest a site for us.

I have looked at Loch Ken and Lochmaben and reviews sound good. As we've never done this before we just want to mess around and get the feel of the van and workings etc more than the amenities of the site.

I have been reading loads of stuff about motorhoming and its putting the fear of death into me with regard to all the things that you need to know !......bejesus its a degree we need.

So .........do we need to level it, with what, how etc....are these blocks/chocks or whatever supplied and does everyone use them. Are most sites gravelled or concreted....do vans get stuck in soft mud etc if it rains.

And as for the toilet!..........I'm a nurse and I'm well used to the contents of a bedpan but on reading one of the more humourous articles on open/closed blades and criss crossed loo paper........well to say I'm confused.com..is an understatement !

Hellllllppppp please ?

Hi and welcome to the madhouse. Just do it. What is necessary will become apparent quite quickly. Toilet requirements are that you empty before it is too full. All sites have the facilities to empty. Everything else will present itself and you will develop a response. We can all tell you what to do and when to do it but it all means nothing until you have experienced it. Just go out and do it. We all carry levelling blocks and use them as we need them. The site will dictate. I have never been stuck in mud yet but it will happen somethime. If going on sites then the pitches will be reasonably level and all other facilities will be available. Enjoy, it is a great life.

Art

Being close to Brighton on the south coast we have no idea where you are. Choosing a site that's close would be an advantage and you will soon see how to do things by watching others. Levelling is up to you, if you want everything perfect then get a small level. Park so the M/H seems about right then see what the level tells you from the inside and adjust the van to suit, some like sleeping heads up, some like it tilting sideways. We hardly ever used levelling aids, it made camping more interesting. If you have a gas powered fridge it may not work correctly if not level. Ask whoever is nearby they will soon advise you. Explain to the warden they will know the flattest pitches.

Toilet chemicals are available, most people use them or have adapted their own. On a standard site the water tap for flushing is indicated as such. Drinking water is separate. Never flush a toilet container from the drinking water tap. Similarly filling with clean water only use the Drinking water tap. Some people carry a water can to refill their tank sooner than drive to the tap if staying a long time.

Regarding which way round, some sites have instructions, it may suit you it may not, consider the weather, sun and wind direction when choosing a pitch. If you have an awning and its very windy make sure its fixed securely most take it down at night, they have been known to act like a sail and take off, even in the daytime breaking all the metal supports and damaging the roof. Having to sort it at 3am is not funny, except for those near by who can hear you cursing each other.

This forum provides good straight answers from well honed people. You may get a harsh reply sometimes but it will be from honest and well seasoned travellers who have been camping for many years in many countries.

Guest 1footinthegrave
ChrissyG - 2013-07-20 10:45 PM

Hiring a Motor home for the first time in August with the view of purchasing our own in the near future.

We dont want to venture too far from home (Ayrshire) as we only have it for 3 days. We were thinking about the Dumfries and Galloway area and wondered if you could suggest a site for us.

I have looked at Loch Ken and Lochmaben and reviews sound good. As we've never done this before we just want to mess around and get the feel of the van and workings etc more than the amenities of the site.

I have been reading loads of stuff about motorhoming and its putting the fear of death into me with regard to all the things that you need to know !......bejesus its a degree we need.

So .........do we need to level it, with what, how etc....are these blocks/chocks or whatever supplied and does everyone use them. Are most sites gravelled or concreted....do vans get stuck in soft mud etc if it rains.

And as for the toilet!..........I'm a nurse and I'm well used to the contents of a bedpan but on reading one of the more humourous articles on open/closed blades and criss crossed loo paper........well to say I'm confused.com..is an understatement !

Hellllllppppp please ?

A bog in your van is nothing like a bed pan with some decent chemical, don't fret, and I've posted in your other thread a book you will find invaluable, it will answer all your questions, and then more, highly recommended, get it from here. ;-) ( just click on the link below )

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Go-Motorhoming-and-Campervanning-9780956678119.html ;-)

Muswell - 2013-07-21 7:57 AM

ips - 2013-07-21 6:48 AM

Garleiston caravan club site

Agreed, an excellent site....but it's members only.

oh didnt realise that.

What about moffat ccc site ?

Hi Chrissy and Welcome.

The first thing is not to panic! You will find that the company who is hiring the motorhome to you will run through most things, including how to work the toilet. I am not sure, but they may even provide the blue chemical for the waste tank. I would expect them to provide the levelling blocks also, but you may have to pay a hefty deposit that you get back when you return them. They will also run through the hot water and how to get it plus the electrical hookup plugs. If they don't then ask for instruction.

If you are going to a 'proper' site and not wild camping, you will find your pitch neighbours will be a valuable source of information.

I think you are doing the right thing by hiring before buying, that way you will know whether you like a certain layout and whether motorhoming is for you. All that will be left to do is enjoy your break and have some fun.

Thanks everybody for your advice........I will let you know how we get on.

Been again today to Perthshire Caravans and had a look in just about every single Motorhome they had. We're pretty sure that we like the layout of the Tribute 615 the best as a two berth is fine for us. Quite amazing all the different layouts etc.............and prices !

I've ordered the book recommended and probably given the poor salesman ear ache with all the questions we asked him. Getting quite excited about it and really looking forward to our first weekend away.

All this has come about through redundancy and the fact that our usual holidays abroad will no longer be really feasible. We have often toured around Scotland and just done B & B in the various places, and loved it. Always had the notion of a motorhome but its only now that we really can do it.

Watch this space !

Guest pelmetman

Best of luck :-D..............but beware.........if you get hooked............................

a campervanist is for life, not just for Christmas ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Your holidays abroad will be more feasible than ever, it can be astonishingly cheap to do, and Europe and beyond is an adventure just waiting for you. £50/£60 quid return on a ferry and not much more on the tunnel and your away, it's fantastic, we do try to go for at least 15 to 20 weeks a year, I could easily never come back, on our last trip met a lovely couple in their 70s in a 20 year old Hymer having a gap year, well actually 3 LOL, another couple jusr returning form mainland Greece, and a freind of mine just back from Croatia, The book you've ordered may inspire you to do something similar, enjoy, Mike

P.S we were all new at it at one point, I remember quacking in my shoes the first time we went to France, you'll soon be a pro. ;-)

Another Nice site in Dumfries and Galloway is New England Bay CC site, they accept non-members, it's near Port Logan and 10 miles beyond Stranraer. On the peninsular. right on the beach. Some hardstandings, plenty of room between pitches, and some completely on your own. lovely site. Ray

May I make an alternative suggestion? Take the van away for the three days as planned, but place no order to buy. Then, go home and digest your experiences. Then, if possible outside the school holiday period, hire again (possibly a different van if your experience of the first was less than convincing), but take it for a full week, and move around rather than staying put.

Motorhomes generally work best when you tour around, and it is only when you actually do that, that you begin to see how well your choice (or what you can hire!) actually works under "real life" conditions. After that first hire you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for - especially if you have bought and read that book onefoot recommended! :-) The stupid things are seductive and addictive, but also very expensive, so making sure you get what you really need and want the first time can be quite difficult and, once you have bought one, mistakes are costly to remedy.

Be under no illusion, buying a camper is far removed from buying a car (except that far too many of the dealers who sell them have little idea of how they work or are used). So try before you buy, keep trying until you are completely happy with your choice, and treat sales assurances on almost anything with great caution. They are not motorhome buying consultants, they are salesmen on commission. Sorry to add to your anxieties, but motorhomes (and those who sell them) can all talk the talk, and what you need (as do we all) is a van that will walk the walk!

If I knew then what I know now I think I would have looked for a private sale probably someone downsizing (or upsizing ) hopefully a much loved treasured van I think most of us motorhomes look after our vans so that's what I'd do if I had cash on the hip pp

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-07-21 8:32 PM

Best of luck :-D..............but beware.........if you get hooked............................

a campervanist is for life, not just for Christmas ;-)

Well it is for you Dave, perhaps you'll both fall to bits together. :D

OP......why a site?

You live in Scotland.......the wild camping country of the world!!

And as for blocks....the only MH'ers you see 'blocking and chocking' are the fuss pots who spend more time with their theodolite than using the van! :D

Just park up 'n get the kettle on......or the beers out! Chill, relax and enjoy! :-D

Bulletguy - 2013-07-22 10:22 PM

And as for blocks....the only MH'ers you see 'blocking and chocking' are the fuss pots who spend more time with their theodolite than using the van! :D

Just park up 'n get the kettle on......or the beers out! Chill, relax and enjoy! :-D

Come on BG! getting your van level is essential for a decent night's sleep, efficient cooking and even a leisurely meal. (a few other things too!! including a shower)

I know putting your van up on chocks is about as popular as external "silverscreens" to wildcampers who go to bed prepared for a fast getaway; but the OP has got plenty of time to get round to that!

Scotland and wildcamping is an excellent idea though,

regards

alan b

A lot of motorhomers have usually! but not all, have been used to camping of one sort of another ie. caravaning ! but if you are new to it make sure that whichever van you decide on! the electric system and water system are FULLY EXPLAINED to you :-D even those of us that have years experience, when changing our vans are sometimes flummoxed at the different arrangements, and its always helpful when camping/motorhoming for the first time to have other experienced people around you ;-) so I for one wouldnt advise wild camping until you know what your doing.

There are lots of good sites in Scotland and the first thing you want is a Sites Book :-S whether you join a club ie C.C or C.C.C or just a private site the later book you should find in any Caravan shop.

You will decide your own style of camping :-D we tend to move on every two or three days, but each to their own :-D dont worry about it just enjoy.

And we as a 76 and 69 old couple have just returned from our 6 th year of touring France and Germany

:-D in fact anywhere you fancy within reason is doable Good Luck and happy motor-homing.

maggyd - 2013-07-23 5:02 PM

A lot of motorhomers have usually! but not all, have been used to camping of one sort of another ie. caravaning ! but if you are new to it make sure that whichever van you decide on! the electric system and water system are FULLY EXPLAINED to you :-D even those of us that have years experience, when changing our vans are sometimes flummoxed at the different arrangements, and its always helpful when camping/motorhoming for the first time to have other experienced people around you ;-) so I for one wouldnt advise wild camping until you know what your doing.

There are lots of good sites in Scotland and the first thing you want is a Sites Book :-S whether you join a club ie C.C or C.C.C or just a private site the later book you should find in any Caravan shop.

You will decide your own style of camping :-D we tend to move on every two or three days, but each to their own :-D dont worry about it just enjoy.

And we as a 76 and 69 old couple have just returned from our 6 th year of touring France and Germany

:-D in fact anywhere you fancy within reason is doable Good Luck and happy motor-homing.

That should read ( 6 weeks and our 6th year} :-D

And Ayr has a good Caravan site which would be ideal to try out a new van, Moffet CCC site is near a lovely village and supermarket New England Bay is a lovely site you really are spoil t for choice with so many lovely sites.

The Tribute is a nice entry level van, very similar to the Bolero 630EK we had as our first van. BUT................OH!, the making up of beds every night (and unmaking each morning) soon became a chore on our first long (6 weeks) trip to France.

We decided that we wanted (and needed) a fixed bed van so we changed - bliss!!!! oh, and all that underbed storage space, too.

As Brian says, try a second trip in a different van, maybe even one with a bed in!

Chrissy -

In addition to all the previous information, I suggest you chat with other motorhomers when on your trip.

If they know that you are just hiring prior to purchase, most will tell you the benefits and drawbacks of their own vehicle. You will have the opportunity to see motorhomes which are loaded by owners and evaluate what extras they find necessary. They will also tell you what was a waste of money bought in first enthusiasm and is unused and left at at home.

I am sure you will find that we are a friendly bunch, at least most of us are!

Joyce

Archived