Driving Licences.

rolandrat

There will be many owners coming up to the ripe old age of 70 who will need to have a medical to carry on driving their motorhome if it is over 3.5 tons. If they don't then to stay legal they will have to down size to 3.5 ton or less. One part of the medical has been upgraded, it is the eye sight requirement. Apart from that it is fairly straight forward. From the age of 65 to carry on driving HGV's you have to have a medical every year which is a bind considering the government have put up the retirement age and it isn't cheap, usually £100 or more every year. I've just gone through mine for another year, at least I know I'm in reasonable shape apart from needing an oil can for my joints occasionally.

But, many of those who are currently approaching 70 will be likely to have passed their driving test before 1/1/97, in which case they will already have the C1 category (vehicles between 3.5T and 7.5T - sufficient for most HGV motorhomes) on their license. Maintaining this category post 70 still requires the medical, including the eye test (for both of which one has to pay), but the new license will be valid for three years, not one, and renewal of the license itself - providing one already has a photocard licence - will be free for many (the photograph is valid for 10 years, a charge should only arise when the photo expires and must be replaced.) Without being overly pessimistic, it therefore seems that three renewals will see the majority of us to the ends of the motorhoming phase of our lives.

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-23 6:33 PM

Without being overly pessimistic, it therefore seems that three renewals will see the majority of us to the ends of the motorhoming phase of our lives.

Think you are probably right there Brian. We are both on our 3rd renewal !!

But you never know!

PJay

PJay - 2013-07-24 11:23 AM

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-23 6:33 PM

Without being overly pessimistic, it therefore seems that three renewals will see the majority of us to the ends of the motorhoming phase of our lives.

Think you are probably right there Brian. We are both on our 3rd renewal !!

But you never know!

PJay

Indeed! But I did say "the majority", which leaves some scope for the awkward squad! :-)

JUL-EYE campaign was launched this month to encourage people to have their eye sight checked at an opticians. When you take your driving test you are asked to read a number plate 20 mtrs away and from then on no further compulsory test is necessary until you have to take a medical at 70 to carry on driving a motorhome over 3.5 tons. In the case of HGV drivers it is normal to have an eye test every time it comes up for renewal and from 65 every year then on. If the police think you are driving with impaired vision they can make you take a number plate vision test by the roadside and if you fail, then it'll be points, a fine and possibly your licence being revoked. Another scary footnote is that your insurance also becomes invalid. It seems your licence can be revoked in a matter of hours rather than days. According to an article in the Truck and Driver magazine, in 2011 5285 car and motorcycle licences and 685 lorry and bus driving licences were revoked or applications refused because the applicant failed to meet the vision standards and year on year the trend will increase by 1000 annually. Interesting.

Archived