Venice

Caroline

Was thinking of going to Venice next year for a trip, sadly only two weeks to do it in.

Is this too far for the time?

What are the Aree di Sosta like?

Is there a campsite you would recommend?

Best time to go? Out of season is a good idea.

Hi Caroline

No it's not too far, 24 hours will get you there.

We have stayed twice at 'Camping Jolly' and are going again in 2 weeks. Good location, coach into station arranged and good food on site.

Venice is very busy during summer months and hot. But it's easy to stay in the back streets to avoid the crowds and see 'Venetion life' even when it's busy - all depends on what you want to see.

David

We went a few years ago and camped on the peninsular to the south of Venice, from where you can get passenger ferries across. It's a great place to arrive in by boat.

Our site was Ca ' Savio - which was ( at that time ) a good site.

Beware the prices in the main tourist area around St Marks Square.

Much better value can be found in the back streets.

;-)

I went to Ca' Savio also, early last June - it was beautiful, and didn't seem too full. The boat journey to/from is lovely, too. That whole spit of land has campsites scattered along it so there's no shortage of choice.

The centre of Venice was also bearably busy at that time of year.

Venice is a very special place but try and avoid the crowds around St Mark Square. The back streets are the best places along with the islands. You will get lost but that's part of the fun of the place. We got a 5 day pass for the water busses called vaporetti much cheaper than the rip off gondola... B-)

Overdrive - 2013-07-23 3:18 PM

Hi Caroline

No it's not too far, 24 hours will get you there.

David

Hi David, just run me along the timeline for the journey. I really would like to know how you can travel 1000 miles in a day.

From Reading (I dont know which part of Berkshire Caroline lives in) Google maps says the fastest route is 15 hours without any waiting time at Dover.

We generally drive an absolute max of 5/6 hours a day (I am the only driver) and that is an exception say just to reach a ferry.

How do you get 15+ hours driving in a day, for goodness sake? Even with a co-driver thats 7.5 hours each!!

A trip like this is supposed to be a holiday not the Le Mans 24hr (15hr?) race.

It takes us 4/5 days of reasonably leisurely travel to cover the 950 odd miles between Venice and home in Sussex. We travel to Italy via Alsace, cross Germany to Fussen, then cross Austria via the Fern and Reschen passes (so avoiding Austrian tolls), and to Venice via Bolzano, Trento, and Bassano del Grappa, or similar.

We stay at Oriago, near Malcontenta, at a good, quiet, small/medium sized, family owned and run campsite on the Brenta canal, called Camping Serenissima. Good supermarket (Panorama) at Marghera (3 miles). Buses run to and from Venice (Piazzale Roma) from just outside the site about every 20 minutes. Tickets are reasonably priced (I think about €1.50) and can be pre-bought at the site reception. They also sell a good map with which one can happily wander pretty much anywhere in Venice.

Be aware that the single journey vaporetto tickets for tourists are now costly. Residents get season tickets at favourable rates, subsidised by the much higher tourist charges. But, above all, Venice is for walking, and it is easily possible to get off the beaten track and find alleys and canals that are practically (and in a few cases actually) deserted. We keep going back every few years, the place is so magically addictive. However, last time we were there (last autumn) it was coolish and damp, and it lost its sparkle. It needs the sun! It also doesn't do damp at all well! Good food is availble at quite reasonable prices once away from the main tourist drag.

So, with a bit of planning, 5 days in Venice should be possible, which should be enough to get the flavour of the place - and start planning where you will go next time you visit! :-) Worst crowds are on the Rialto bridge - but the Rialto is a must see, so what can you do? Just people watch, especially the largely Japanese and Chinese parties in gondolas, with attendant tenor warbling his accompaniment. Priceless, and no-where else on earth!

Guest JudgeMental

another recommendation for Camping Serenissima, Kirbys recommended it a while back....a bit like a good french municipal site but with really nice restaurant. bus outside, be aware this is mosquito territory so come prepared! Venice nice in the evenings when all the coach parties have departed

as for getting there, its possible to do it with 3 overnight going via Switzerland. We are in a sweltering Alsace at the moment, on route for Switzerland and lake garda, we often get the train into Venice from there...

Guest JudgeMental
Pampam - 2013-07-24 6:35 AM

Ooh I should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky. I should be so lucky as yooouuuu !!!!!

two things.....you make your own luck...and only live once :-D

Guest Peter James
One of my memories of Venice is when a British Warship visited about 20 years ago. When it opened a solitary sailor stood at the shore end of the gangplank with orders to only let so many on board at a time *-) . But the Italians don't do queuing. The crowd surged forward to push their way on. The sailor had one hand on each hand rail to hold them back. But then a dog ran between his legs. He turned and went after it and the whole crowd behind him swarmed on to the ship (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Pampam - 2013-07-24 8:05 AM

3rd thing MOOLA!!!

So......you buy an autotrail and cant afford to go anywhere interesting...makes sense (not)

Hi Chris

Well been doing it for last 22 years as we have a house in N.Italy.

Calais to Chamonix 600 miles, sleep, Chamonix to Parma 400 miles. 1000 miles door to door 24 hours. I'm the only driver too!

We use Eurotunnel for the fastest crossing, and travel across France at night.

Appreciate it's not a race and this schedule is not for everyone, but can be done and works for us.

David

Venice another 135km past Parma.

I'm sure not many people would like to (or are able to) switch to the night-shift for a 1000km journey, nor would they be confident of driving at night on a route they have not travelled before.

I know from experience of working at night (in another life) that sleeping in the daytime is not a substitute for a normal body clock, and if someone had driven for 8 hours I would imagine that they would be nine tenths bu**ered before sleeping (in the daytime?) at Chamonix before setting off again for Parma (or Venice).

The result must be similar to jet-lag, I would have thought.

Great start to a holiday? As you say, not for everyone, certainly not me and I love driving.

Guest JudgeMental
I can do lake garda via Luxembourg/Switzerland in 2 nights but dont...taking 12 days on this trip. but will do it quickly on the return, with 2 overnight stops, one in Alsace and one up near Dunkirk......I really dont see the point in hanging around, just get to where you want to be and enjoy yourselves! if you cant hack driving, sell the van and fly :-D

Quite agree, Eddie, but doing it in 2 stops is a completely different trip to trying it in 24hrs with only one stop of which the elapsed travelling time from Reading to Venice is 15+ hours driving.

15 hrs driving over 3 days (2 stops) is 5 hrs a day, 3 hrs plus 2 hrs each day.

15 hrs driving over 1 day (1 stop in 24 hrs) is 8 hrs one day and 7 hrs the next, not for me but up to the OP to decide on the timetable.

I'm just highlighting that 1000km each way will eat into the break unless you overdo the driving.

Guest JudgeMental
not all have the luxury or retirement or self employment.....Syd does Sunderland to Benidorm in one hit, 24 hrs...but then he is young for his age! :D

Caroline - 2013-07-23 1:40 PM

Was thinking of going to Venice next year for a trip, sadly only two weeks to do it in.

Is this too far for the time?

....no, though the opportunity to take in other sights on the way will be limited. AFAIR, when we visited Venice for three nights, we had just over two weeks in total, and pulled a few other sights in.

What are the Aree di Sosta like?

....others will probably be able to give a better view than me, but in season (later part of August), those that we considered in passing were claustrophobically full, and not really located where we wanted to be. TBH, the majority of the campsites we used on the way there were also pretty busy, though things had changed dramatically when we made our way back.

Is there a campsite you would recommend?

.....like some of the above, I would recommend a site round "The Lido" beyond Jesolo, where they abound, one after the other as you drive towards Punta Sabbioni. This is largely based on the feeling that there can be few better ways of getting you first sight of Venice than heading in to St Marks Square on the vaporetto. We used Camping Miramare (http://www.camping-miramare.it/index-gb.htm) which had been recommended to us, and is VERY close to the ferry terminal.

I think Brian is correct, the prices for ferry tickets do seem to have gone up, but buying a multi-day ticket is still pretty good value if you want to use all the vaporetto routes, and (well worth it) visit some of the islands as you explore.

Best time to go? Out of season is a good idea.

...Venice is literally heaving in season. It is possible (and interesting) to get away from the crowds, BUT, of course the crowds are all at the iconic sights (which you will want to see).

General wisdom seems to have it that May into early June, and September may be the best compromises, but the Venetian climate is fickle, and Venice is definitely best seen on a bright, sunny day. Mosquitoes may be more of an issue in September than May.

Venice was a trip I remember with affection; It lived up to all expectations, and as a result, I'm in no hurry to water the memories down by returning.

Take sandwiches and drinks as the prices in Venice are horrendous and if you can manage it also take tiny folding seats as all round St Marks they come and chase you away from sitting on the steps anywhere in the vicinity.

No No No, you must go to St Marks Square, it is fantastic, just don't go to the restuarants. CG loved the shops, really wanted a beautiful leather jacket, at €4500, or high heel trainers at €650, just go and look, and admire the handywork of some of the finest ripoff merchants in the world.

We wanted supper whilst we were there and we were able to sit and enjoy the orchestra music as we ate:-

Stand in the square facing the Basilica with the bell tower to your right, behind you will be a row of shops and cafe's, one of them is a take-away that sells great slices of Pizza and coffee and cakes, buy what you want, sit on the steps to eat, listen to the music from the posh cafe next door, and soak up the atmosphere. All for less than €10 per head

Don't forget to take a ride up the Grand Canal on the Vaporisers, it's better than Thorpe Park.

AGD

Archived