Gone to the darkside

ips

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every one keeps on about 'a deal' just get on and use the b****y thing.

Is that all some of you think about ... dealing and deals.

Eddie constantly gets his shirt tails twisted on deals. Why don't some of you do your research and get it right first time then the prices might reduce.

Mrs T - 2013-07-26 9:25 PM

Every one keeps on about 'a deal' just get on and use the b****y thing.

Is that all some of you think about ... dealing and deals.

Eddie constantly gets his shirt tails twisted on deals. Why don't some of you do your research and get it right first time then the prices might reduce.

... why don't you read the thread first then post an appropriate and relevant comment! (lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Big day on wed, motorhome now gone to dealer for relevant checks etc. we collect new caravan wed afternoon. Tow bar being fitted on my driveway as we speak. Then got to try and fit everything we had in MH into caravan, it aint gonna happen so we will need to sort what we absolutely need and what we absolutely don't :-D

Good luck Ian and may you have many super holidays.

You wanna try downsizing from a 6.8 metre coachbuilt to a 6.0 mtr pvc then - oh deep joy!

But it is amazing all the crud you think you need but manage perfectly well for weeks away without - but there is always that one thing that you really need - question is which one is it that remains in the garage at home!

Cheers Tracker

Yes we could not believe how much stuff we had accumulated in the MH particularily in the garage :-S

Lots of things we had never even used so will be many things that wont be going in the caravan.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly tomorrow haven't heard anything different from dealer who I must say have been very good thus far.

Good luck with the new purchase. Having also gone from MH back to caravan I can assure you that you will enjoy the new aspects of the hobby. The ability to go into town etc immediately without packing everything is a big bonus, especially as you get older and yes, setting up and down takes time, but then again so does packing a MH. We enjoy the larger space area to actually live in the thing and as we no longer see any necessity to visit every town and village in the world, we just find a nice place, sit back, relax and chill out as they say.

You will also find that towing nowadays is a different experience from days of yore. You will easily keep up with the traffic and may even find yourself stuck behind some giant MH clogging the Queen's highway. As for an awning this wil depend on where you plan to camp. If in the UK then obviously a sealed waterproof windproof model is best, if in the sun then a lighter sunshade will easily suffice. Always get aluminium poles as these are a lot lot lighter than steel ones. We can erect our Dorema awning in about 30 minutes and take it down in a similar time. I would also suggest a motor mover as this makes siting the van a doddle and you can sit back and watch the MH trying to move backwards and forwards to get on to the pitch just as the missus demands. Sloping pitches will no longer be a bugbear for you.

Yes, we had to reduce the amount of clobber we carried but then again we were not actually using much of it, so no real loss. Do watch the payload of the new van though as UK models are notoriously low. We have a EU model which has about 3 times the average UK model of similar size as we do not need or use the extra kit that UK makers insist on putting in. The extra payload was an advantage in allowing us to fit airconditioning, a blessing where we camp in Spain. EU models also have a longer A Frame which makes towing even easier.

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the new experience and as others have said, there is no need to leave this Forum as it does cater for caravanners as well, even if some think otherwise. Plus someone has to keep them right.

At the moment we are in the twilight zone. We sold the MH just after Easter and if all goes to plan will be getting a caravan next June. You don't realise how much stuff you carry around with you until emptying the MH, I know that half of it will not be going back into the c/van.

After 30 odd years Caravaning and motorhoming I just want to park up for a week or two now and have a good look around some of the areas we've been too instead of trying to cram too much in in 2 or 3 days then moving on which is really the purpose of having a MH, plus the fact that the powers that be have no intentions of catering for the motorhome user over here.

Well thats my excuse.

Good luck ips, hope it works out ok.

Dave

Dave and Dave

many thanks, much of what you both elude too are partly our reasons to change. The mh has suited us very well for the last four years however our requirements are now such that we feel going back to a caravan is the right move. Have to get a awning before next wed as that's our maiden voyage so will report back. This is either a very good plan or very bad one, i am confident that it is the former. Ha.

Certainly has changed since our last one 10 yrs ago fancy hitch thing 13 pin electric socket and some fancy electronic stability control thing on the van itself, wow that's progress i spose. :-D

Campbells .....hmmmmm!

You could do what one couple we saw at Dunnet Bay a few weeks ago did. After two hours of struggling to put their caravan awning up including phone calls to someone who, apparently, knew how it should be done, they abandoned the idea, packed the awning away and then proceeded to erect a second awning they had also brought with them.

Spare awning? Who carries one of those (apart from them, of course)?

Provided entertainment for many though ;-)

FD

Good luck with your new van the Ips family :-D I hope your getting a motormover on it ! you dont want to be

pushing and shoving into place, are you needing to go back to the aquarol and waste ?? its going to be

swings and roundabouts you gain the advantage of getting about sightseeing and shopping but if no onboard

water/waste tanks your going to be getting plenty of exercise fetching and carrying there.

Good luck and Happy Camping :-D and NO arguing putting up that dratted awning . >:-)

maggy

many thanks, Mrs ips has accepted the aqua and waste job due to my sciatica :-D

were well accomplished at awning putting up.

Fred

campbels hmmm, do i detect a story ?

Do i want to know though ?

Update

everything went well with collection of new van and no problem with trade in, in fact they commented on the excellent condition of our motor home.

Was worried about storage space in caravan however there is a surprising amount of room in various lockers and cubby holes. A few more things to do before maiden voyage next week.

New porch awning arrived yesterday. Will report back after trip with how it went compared to motor home.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We went back to a caravan.......................for about 3 months about 5 years ago, I simply could not hack the constant aquaroll & wastemaster malarky, but it does make sense of course for some so good luck with it.

As there is apparently a new EU regulation being proposed I believe later this year, an MOT for caravans I wonder just how many will do the reverse of what you have done, and dump the caravans and come over to motorhomes instead.

I will concede one thing, if as yours was, my motorhome use was limited to the UK I'm surprised you've had one at all, if and when you can do the over the water thing there really is only one way to do it, and it's not in a caravan, but limited to doing the UK I do think you have got it right ;-)

Cheers

i certainly hope so.

We have caravaned before so we know all the pro and cons. I do agree about the waste and water mallarky it is a chore that's for sure. Anyway worse case scenario is we don't get on with it and buy another mh however if this did happen i would probably either do a self build or have one made bespoke . Anyway we will see what happens.

After 3 months away in the UK, touring the west country, the temptation to return to caravans has been strong, My thought was a sort of 'half way house' a smallish campervan, A VW T5 but must have a 'proper' fitted cassette loo (Topaz/devon sundowner etc.,) WITH a towbar, to tow a smallish caravan, (Bailey Orion 460/2) use the VW as our only vehicle, so save on Insurance/road tax And use the VW as a 'Day Van' most of the time. Had a Look at the Lunar vacanza yesterday at Brownhills, what a joke of a vehicle ! definately a step up from a tent, but only a small one, and the blow up bed is for acrobats only. And virtually no towing capacity and of course no fitted cassette loo. Porta- potty's are a a no no. for us. Ray

Guest JudgeMental

We are in Italy in 30 deg plus temperatures and for the life of me will never understand why couples with massive twin axle caravans also need the full awning! They must be like an oven!

Someone on site has a real nice compact Hobby caravan...was thinking it would do us, as Italy becoming more motorhome unfriendly year on year, but still our favorite destinstion by a mile.... with height barriers restricted parking etc....we cycle most everywhere but still.

I am even thinking of returning to a demountable campers but Mrs M not keen on that idea...will set crinkly on her!lol

Guest JudgeMental

We are in Italy in 30 deg plus temperatures and for the life of me will never understand why couples with massive twin axle caravans also need the full awning! They must be like an oven!

Someone on site has a real nice compact Hobby caravan...was thinking it would do us, as Italy becoming more motorhome unfriendly year on year, but still our favorite destinstion by a mile.... with height barriers restricted parking etc....we cycle most everywhere but still.

I am even thinking of returning to a demountable campers but Mrs M not keen on that idea...will set crinkly on her!lol

Guest JudgeMental

All sorted for wed. Everything has fitted in no problem in fact loads of room. We just had trial run putting bed up which was a doddle but we need a new sheet as the bed is enormous. The domestic size oven and fridge and a microwave is going to great compared to the mini things in mh as will the electric heating system. Will take some pics next week with full encampment set up and post them for anyone who may be interested.

Ps- the only issue so far is one of the over locker mood light fittings isn't working but dealer has one on order under warranty.

Do not get too concerned about the water and waste rigmaroll. Most caravanners use sites where the facilties are excellent so showers etc are not in the van. Plus many sites now offer serviced pitches where you connect the water and waste up at the start and then forget about them. It is the advantage of not having a tank that needs major movement to empty.

However a word of warning. Do not get too excited about the number of lockers and storage space. Watch the weight and you will find you may have to travel with a good number empty. It is just one reason why many 'elderly' caravanners now leave the van in storage in Spain or wherever and then can just dump all the 'junk' on the floor as it is not being towed. Allows one to have the full outside bar/fridge and cooking facilties plus the hammock without fear. For example we tend to stay in Spain for up to 90 days at a time on 1 site so setting up is a once in/once out job, and then you have all the real comforts of home.

Archived