Gone to the darkside

ips

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave225 - 2013-08-12 4:21 PM

As mentioned you now get attachments for Aquaroll's where there is a ball cock type valve so you just attach it to the water tap and it fills itself.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_31100/ball_valve_for_aquaroll.aspx

Yes we have the socket for this new fangled superpitch thing so may try it some time if I can bring myself to pay the extra pitch fee.

747 - 2013-08-12 7:04 PM

Most caravans have an atrociously low payload.

I hope you are pulling it with a Transit van or similar. Don't overload the caravan, it's safer to look like you are an itinerant Irishman. :D

Point taken

ips - 2013-08-13 8:48 AM

Dave225 - 2013-08-12 4:21 PM

As mentioned you now get attachments for Aquaroll's where there is a ball cock type valve so you just attach it to the water tap and it fills itself.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_31100/ball_valve_for_aquaroll.aspx

Yes we have the socket for this new fangled superpitch thing so may try it some time if I can bring myself to pay the extra pitch fee.

Go to Spain where you will pay approx 13-16 euros for a serviced pitch, and get a swimming pool and bar thrown in. Plus you will not be 'told' where to park your van. Don't give the skinflint CC any of your money.

Update

all went well it towed like a dream much more stable than any caravan i have had before with new fangled stabilizer thing and of course well under weight of car which means were not hunting gears cruise set at 58mph all the way. New porch awning looks great and was a doddle to put up. Much more comfy than than our mh so Mrs ips is well happy. Had a shower and washed up etc and still on one aqua roll fill so one per day should do the trick. Currently nice and comfy nice and warm listening to cumbrianrain. Definitely the right decision for us so i am happy too.

Only thing we have yet to test is the bed so will report back tomorrow.

Bye for now.

Ian

Mrs T - 2013-07-26 9:25 PM

Every one keeps on about 'a deal' just get on and use the b****y thing.

Is that all some of you think about ... dealing and deals.

Eddie constantly gets his shirt tails twisted on deals. Why don't some of you do your research and get it right first time then the prices might reduce.

---------------------

Hi All,

Just like Mrs T on steroids and with Alzheimer's talking out of her backside.

Good luck with your new venture Mr & Mrs IPS.

Mike.

Robinhood - 2013-08-14 9:58 PM

ips - 2013-08-14 9:29 PM

Only thing we have yet to test is the bed so will report back tomorrow.

Ian

....if this is a euphemism, I'd rather you didn't. :$

ha :)

Ok i will keep the details to myself but you have to test the integrity of the steadies some how.

Cannot recall if you mentioned it was a fixed bed or a cushion re-arrangement. Either way, if it is possible consider some form of mattress topper. Even on a fixed bed with mattresses a topper will even out the join in the middle and gives a shade more support. Also if you have a mattress cover that is a tight fit then this will keep the 2 mattresses firmly together. Our van was supplied with both mattress covers and even duvet covers, unfortunately all embroidered with the maker's logo much to the 'boss's annoyance but they do work. Over time the original mattresses will sag and although you are unlikely to hit the 'bottom' a topper keeps things better. Our van has sprung mattresses but even here the topper has been beneficial. It is cheaper than having to buy new mattresses every 5 or 6 years.

Also again do not know your bedding desires but we find 2 duvets to be the best. One is high tog the other summer weight and we have one on the bottom and one on top depending on the temperature outside. In very high temps we just use the cover as a top sheet and both duvets are on the bottom, or one gets chucked under the bed. Easy to make and saves all that tugging of sheets etc. Plus we hate sleeping bags.

However what suits you best.

Thanks for the info.

Not a made up bed but by the time i had finished my scotch and cigar it was made up. :-D

turned out to be very comfy didnt feel the joins at all but i take your point re a topper may look into that.

Van is only small around 4m but surprisingly spacious compared to the mh.

Do you have a sargent alarm fitted by any chance as seems to have a problem with ours as the low battery alarm is beeping even though we are on elec apparently it takes a long time to charge the back up battery but i would have thought that if on elec it would not give the audible warning ?

Ps - throwing it down now :-D

It could be like our autocruise :-D you have to have the battery charger switched on even on hookup, we were wondering why our 12v fridge had a warning light on it, it didnt have enough power to run it, when we enquirered from sergent we were told it had to be on charge. That was early in the year when we had everything running.

ips - 2013-08-15 4:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

Not a made up bed but by the time i had finished my scotch and cigar it was made up. :-D

turned out to be very comfy didnt feel the joins at all but i take your point re a topper may look into that.

Van is only small around 4m but surprisingly spacious compared to the mh.

Do you have a sargent alarm fitted by any chance as seems to have a problem with ours as the low battery alarm is beeping even though we are on elec apparently it takes a long time to charge the back up battery but i would have thought that if on elec it would not give the audible warning ?

Ps - throwing it down now :-D

Alarm?? No, mine is a EU van of reasonable vintage and alarms were not considered a necessity. I tend to agree with that, as we camp virtually only in the EU, on sites, and things like theft are not really an issue, unlike the UK where you need to nail it all down. My van does have an electronic ID plate hidden in it somewhere and lots of hidden markings so if it was stolen and recovered, it can be identified. Whether I would wish it back is another matter. Sorry cannot help with the alarm.

When you say 4 m, is that inside length or shipping length. Mine is 6.6 meters shipping but a good meter is A Frame. However you will find more space as the cab is not there and you tend not to get the narrow passageway effect as with MH's.

Unfortunately batteries do have a limited life, unless you are lucky but they are not that expensive. Mine packed up in the south of France one year a good few moons ago, on an extensive trip so a visit to the local Carrefour was called for and I bought a 110 amp car battery for 90 euros, which is still working very well. Yes, I know a leisure battery is better but Carrefour did not have any and I was not paying the price the dealers in France wanted.

Dave

yes agree totally about corridor effect wet mention. Van is 12'6" interior think its something just under 6m road length as fits in garage better than 6m mh did. Way better space probably slightly longer inside than mh was discounting cab. Alarm idea is useless really but its a brand new van so may as well get it sorted under warranty. Most important thing is Mrs ips is happy.

Ooh! Awfy posh, as they say up my way. Seriously, looks very nice indeed.

However, do watch the payload, 115kg is to my mind very low. If you did fit a mover then you would lose 30-40 kg of that so left with carrying a pair of socks each. Bluntly my missus can fill a trolley at the supermarket that amounts to 20 kg alone. Everything is 'essential'. Fortunately we have a payload of 300 kg so even with mover, air conditioner and battery we are still in reasonable shape for the essentials that I count, such as wine and beer. Clothes are optional in my book as we stay in the hot sun.

Guest JudgeMental

That is like the likle Hobby van I was admiring in Italy a few weeks ago, whilst bemoaning the lack of motorhome parking...until I sobered up that is! That is a lovely looking van as far as caravans go :-D

Edit: "payload 115kg". Blimey that is seriously low!

Thanks ... I think :-D

its a compact van so i suppose pay load will be low however loads of room in the citroen for heavy stuff. Have only really got clothes some tinned food the odd bottle of vino and the lightweight porch awning in the van and it towed very well so should be ok.

Archived