Downsizing

Bartonfolk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread. The age old question of CB/PVC?

Never owned a CB so cant comment but my guess is there are positives and negatives with both. But 'downsizing' to a PVC I would imagine the first thing you will notice is it will go virtually everywhere a car will go, and in most cases, cope with Supermarket height barriers where fitted (depending on what you have stuck on your roof!). So if you suddenly decide to do some shopping when out in the van.......no problem.

Economy is also better with PVC than a CB, though sometimes not a lot in it. My Duetto averages around 28 - 30mpg when fully loaded but not much more when running empty! Duetto's are quite heavy vans and the Turbo is a total joke! My old direct injection Transit had much more poke and better mpg, though it was a lighter van.

Some of the current model PVC's look very interesting, but i'm always wary of change is not always for the better.

Somebody mentioned Mercedes and as a base chassis that's the only make other than Ford Transit that i'd consider. I know from past experience that parts availability for Transits is very easy no matter which country you are in. The old 2.5 engines are somewhat crude and a bit "agricultural"........but that's why they will do inter galactic mileage! With just under 68k on the clock, mine isn't even 'run in' yet!

Bulletguy - 2013-07-29 5:19 PM

Interesting thread. The age old question of CB/PVC?

Never owned a CB so cant comment but my guess is there are positives and negatives with both. But 'downsizing' to a PVC I would imagine the first thing you will notice is it will go virtually everywhere a car will go, and in most cases, cope with Supermarket height barriers where fitted (depending on what you have stuck on your roof!). So if you suddenly decide to do some shopping when out in the van.......no problem.

Economy is also better with PVC than a CB, though sometimes not a lot in it. My Duetto averages around 28 - 30mpg when fully loaded but not much more when running empty! Duetto's are quite heavy vans and the Turbo is a total joke! My old direct injection Transit had much more poke and better mpg, though it was a lighter van.

Some of the current model PVC's look very interesting, but i'm always wary of change is not always for the better.

Somebody mentioned Mercedes and as a base chassis that's the only make other than Ford Transit that i'd consider. I know from past experience that parts availability for Transits is very easy no matter which country you are in. The old 2.5 engines are somewhat crude and a bit "agricultural"........but that's why they will do inter galactic mileage! With just under 68k on the clock, mine isn't even 'run in' yet!

I think I am right is believing the the Fiat, Peugeot and my Citroen are all in fact Ford engines?

Curtisden - 2013-07-29 5:27 PM

I think I am right is believing the the Fiat, Peugeot and my Citroen are all in fact Ford engines?

The 2.2 engine used in the current Peugeot/Citroen derivatives is the Ford "Puma" engine as used in the Transit.

The 2.3 engine used in the current Fiat is different (and their own).

rolandrat - 2013-07-29 8:46 AM

The IH and it's rear end is in a class of it's own, why other converters don't follow it's example I don't know.

Whilst it's an interesting idea it doesn't suit all and certainly not us, the ability to sit at front and/or back of van and have the doors wide open is something we like, and to use it as a builders skip :D

The grill door on our Autocruise falls off with gay regulatory. In fact we dont use the grill any more, as have invested in a small toaster amd use the grill compartment as a bread bin! Our Jack Russell loves the Autocruise and loves resting up on bed at back and keeping a look out for any action. We used to have a CI Riviera. Much larger but a b.......ger to park anywhere

etc.

...But 'downsizing' to a PVC I would imagine the first thing you will notice is it will go virtually everywhere a car will go, and in most cases, cope with Supermarket height barriers where fitted (depending on what you have stuck on your roof!). So if you suddenly decide to do some shopping when out in the van.......no problem.

But the problem is, unless you downsize all the way to something like a low roofed VW, most of the current crop of PVCs still won't get you under a carpark height barrier anyway....

The A/S Warwick that the OP mentions, is around 2.4+ mtrs high (..and just checked online, our '03 Duetto was around the 2.7+mtr mark..).

Most of the 'barriers I've noticed seem to be around 2.2 -2.3mtr (at most)....

(..we've got a large council run carpark around by us, with them set at 2mtrs!...So even some people carriers/4x4s/cars with roof boxes etc will be scuppered! :-S ))

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-07-29 6:41 PM

...But 'downsizing' to a PVC I would imagine the first thing you will notice is it will go virtually everywhere a car will go, and in most cases, cope with Supermarket height barriers where fitted (depending on what you have stuck on your roof!). So if you suddenly decide to do some shopping when out in the van.......no problem.

But the problem is, unless you downsize all the way to something like a low roofed VW, most of the current crop of PVCs still won't get you under a carpark height barrier anyway....

The A/S Warwick that the OP mentions, is around 2.4+ mtrs high (..and just checked online, our '03 Duetto was around the 2.7+mtr mark..).

(..we've got a large council run carpark around by us, with them set at 2mtrs!...So even some people carriers/4x4s/cars with roof boxes etc will be scuppered! :-S ))

absolutely correct, all Sevel based vans are far higher than height barriers anywhere I've ever come across, we just give the UK a miss. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
I suspect my swb coach built is easier to park than any Sevel PVC and it fits in a standard parking space ;-)................and we have a permanently made up bed in the overcab B-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-07-29 8:53 PM

I suspect my swb coach built is easier to park than any Sevel PVC and it fits in a standard parking space ;-)................and we have a permanently made up bed in the overcab B-)

Ah Dave suspect and first hand experience are two different things, but having had two swb CBs,and two PVCs, and I don't know how many vans of any type can fit a standard bay completely of which the minimum prescribed size being 4.8 x 2.4 metres. :-S

Looked today at Warwick duo and we were impressed. Also liked the Symbol but not sure about 2nd single bed only 5ft 8 inches long, although I'm only 5'5" Going to look at Autocruises tomorrow. Again can't thank all of you enough for sharing your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-29 9:44 PM

pelmetman - 2013-07-29 8:53 PM

Ah Dave suspect and first hand experience are two different things, but having had two swb CBs,and two PVCs, and I don't know how many vans of any type can fit a standard bay completely of which the minimum prescribed size being 4.8 x 2.4 metres. :-S

But I have a lwb Tranny for deliveries, and I find the only way to get it in is to reverse it in 8-) ................unlike my CB which I can do both ways ;-)..............................am I getting my threads confused? :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
Untill you come back to your van and find someone has parked right up to your back doors, IH have gone the other route like our van, no back doors at all, a wrap around rear lounge, high cupboards across the back, and a boot for storage ;-)

Robinhood - 2013-07-29 5:40 PM

Curtisden - 2013-07-29 5:27 PM

The 2.2 engine used in the current Peugeot/Citroen derivatives is the Ford "Puma" engine as used in the Transit.

The 2.3 engine used in the current Fiat is different (and their own).

BIB Robin......quite a different engine to what is fitted in mine which is a Mk5 Transit.

I've never driven a Mk6 with the 2.2 but my friends son has one for commercial use and says it performs much better than the Mk5. Ally block as against iron....so it should be much lighter, also the 2.2 engines are amazingly tiny (by comparison).......you can almost step inside the engine bay! The Mk5 bay has very little left in the way of spare room.

pepe63 - 2013-07-29 6:41 PM

Pepe.......my Duetto is 2.4m and thats only because of the silly "flying saucer" TV aerial AS stuck on the roof. But it seems your local Carparks are either a bit mean or have some other kind of problem?

Most of my local Supermarkets have no barriers at all and the only one that does (Asda), is way higher than 2.4m. It has to be for their home delivery vans.

Re: The 2mtr barrier.

To be fair to 'em, there is an alternative area/carpark for lorries,coaches etc,so that would been a option for larger vehicles(..although I've never checked to see if it mentions "motorhomes"...).

I suppose the point I was making, was that because the OP seemed to be under the impression that by switching to a PVC( an X250?), parking and access issues would be resolved, I was just suggesting that as a 6mtr+, X250 is still a fair chunk of vehicle, that will not always be the case... ;-)

http://www.abd.org.uk/topics/height_barriers.htm

tazdog6007 - 2013-07-31 6:43 PM

we have a warwick duo,with a few personal changes(table moved to toilet room wall etc) but like your table idea under the wardrobe.any chance of a few pointers how you did it? *-)

I already had the two tables and island legs and all the fittings fixings so the total cost was nothing, zilch! Pretty fortunate that both tables and the legs were the ideal size eh!!

I made up a couple of runners in the shape of an inverted 'L' for the small table to slide in and out from wood offcuts and, once varnished and fitted with anti rattle padding, screwed them to the underside of the wardrobe.

The small table also has an island leg fixing for outside use with a tripod base and two added bits of wood on the underside that enable it to sit level when placed in the sliding door recess.

Some will mock my low cost home made mods but we bodgers have the last laugh because they all work well!

Hope that helps - if not - ask again!

Photo 1 is the sliding table, er, sliding - note convenient table leg stowage under the wardrobe.

Photo 2 is the relocated occasional table from the back doors

Photo 3 is the 'new' main table stowed on the back door

Photo 4 is the main table in use

Photo 5 is the main table in use using the small table as it's base - easier than getting the tripod out - note the two extra bits of wood on the bottom of the sliding table - these allow the table to sit level in the sliding side door recess - ideal for a quick coffee table!

Photo 6 shows the extra locker revealed by unscrewing and removing the plywood o/s seat base lid - it is bigger than it looks and very handy!

P1010873_1_1.JPG.7bd42b9f373f7c04059753006b1d778a.JPG

P1010874_2_1.JPG.544a83723752f5d7d38a78d578d34dc9.JPG

P1010875_3_1.JPG.24f39e66d58f95ef986fa1928d1e5335.JPG

P1010876_4_1.JPG.d0720c39b134efce0dd84188ca5c002d.JPG

P1010877_5_1.JPG.a25f9d04ab1bd8f615ebe5a35173a64b.JPG

P1010878_6_1.JPG.208047496b06d45180a786c9ca7a003b.JPG

rolandrat - 2013-07-27 9:00 AM

Probably the best van to convert is an extra long wheelbase Merc 609 or 709, unfortunately they are like hens teeth but they will last forever. The only area to check on is the front windscreen frame and scuttle area which can be a source of rampant tin worm.

Whoops..... post makes more sense with pics, didn't note the 100kb limitation!

1427532909_VanInteriorCopy2.jpg.6dd7980d894b6493b91529243247a0dd.jpg

1046825190_EditedCopy1.jpg.3ada73d2b72a371361783b42589d64a7.jpg

377497797_VanInteriorCopy3.jpg.6a2e099cc560055f820fd528583bf7e5.jpg

rolandrat - 2013-08-02 3:04 PM

What a lovely piece of kit, built to last. That's what you call a van conversion.

Agreed!..built on a "proper" van... ;-)

..prior to getting our current van,I did look a ex-fire service/rescue 4x4 Mercs, with a view to converting..but the OH wasn't convinced we'd have the time(or ever really finish it!)

..although, in her defence, they weren't cheap either... :$

Thanks for the compliments rolandrat and pepe63.

Others have commented that it must be akin to living in a matchbox, and I have to agree! However 3 coats of satin varnish over wood veneer cleans up much better than photofinish vinyl or fabrics.

Originally (first 2 years) the layout comprised rear made up transverse bed, front kitchen/dining, and shower/wardrobe/storage amidships. With motorbike on back rack there was no ready access thru rear doors.

After 2 years decided to put kitchen/shower at rear and twin beds/lounge at front leaving more storage amidships, we didn't mind the daily bedmake. That's how it was for 14 years.

2 years ago it was back to carrying a motorbike, this time the layout wasn't altered, I made the rack able to be extended on ball bearing arms, (the bedmaking keeps us slim enough) so as to allow rear door access! Even after 18 years things are still a comprimise........may get it right one day!!

Hi Simian, sometimes you have to let adverse comments roll, there will be very many motorhome owners envious of what you've got. The base vehicle being the Merc 609, 709 and 711 don't come any better. I would like to see companies such as IH use them for their conversions. One thing that has to be considered is the driving licence because of the weight but as long as you are within the law then ok. Some years ago I had a long wheelbase 609 which was a dream to drive, the only downside which has to be accepted was the fuel consumption which averaged 15 to the gallon. Some did much better with a different drive line. Mine was fitted with the 4 cylinder long stroke plodding engine but some are fitted with the sprinter engine which I'm not keen on. It's very rare to see any for sale in good condition but a lot of owners use them for long distance touring and spares can be found world wide.

IH, are in a class of their own, and second hand ones are not all that expensive compared to similar vans a Tio 2008 can be bought for just over £30000 Look at mine. We bought it for the boot , we can park in supermarkets like a car, scrapes or dents are easy to repair at any garage as they are metal I prefer none metallic for DIY and the interior is very well made compared to others. As you can see I carry a Honda genny another reason I don’t go on sites as I like my toast early in a morning.

DSC_0471.JPG.64384514a7789821ec3778e844fc539c.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG.cbeeb891f75c4e33fd7be15171c5bd28.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG.d4398c15c1c334544101832edbdb3b03.JPG

Archived