Downsizing

Bartonfolk

100% spot on for the size. Many converters have a long way to go to match IH but not every one can afford to buy one from new. I would guess some people settle for second best but would like to own one eventually. I recently looked at a Devon built on a long wheelbase VW, Sapphire. For the amount of space available I thought the design could have been far better. The only plus point was the two long benches. The wardrobe is a joke and the overhead side lockers might not have been there. It would probably suit a single occupant. The Merc 609 has more or less vertical side walls so the fitted furniture has more internal space. For anyone who has been used to a coach built with all the masses of space downsizing to a small van conversion is one serious decision.

I have a coach built and it's never been a problem for me when parking, If I want to go some where as long as there is a space I park up. I agree that van conversions take up less space and can probably find a parking space much quicker but I wouldn't use it as a consideration to down size.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-29 5:24 AM

No brainer for us, get an IH with the fixed rear panel and "u" shaped lounge, if a car can get there, so can I, and we have EVERYTHING a coach built has, and suits our style of use extremely well, I would say however if your the type who stays for extended periods in one spot a free standing safari room may be a good idea, or stick with a CB, we motor in our motorhome rarely staying more than a couple of days in any one spot.

;-)

One thing I could never stand is / was conversion noise /rattles, ours is as quiet as a mouse in that respect, and cruise at 130kph, no problem

The new ones are very pricey, but ours being 10 years old the sheer quality still shines through, or go for a second hand one as we did. ;-)

We have recently returned from our first France trip of this year, and noticed a growing number of PVCs why that is I've no idea, but it does show a trend as even converters who only made CBs are getting into the act now.

The final thing to say is we made an absolute DISASTER in our first choice of PVC which was a Trigano Tribute,we knew after just the first outing it was not for us, it really was a chore in almost every respect, after coming form our CBs, there are conversions and conversions.

see them here, where I've just seen they will be at the Malvern show in the south midlands if your anywhere near that neck of the woods.

http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/

For once I agree with you. We are looking at the new IH garage model with the sliding door replaced by a more normal door. A bit on the expensive side but as our kids used to never tire of telling us "You get what you pay for Dad"

I will be a couple of years before we make the change as we have just bought a new car but by then I'll be in my mid seventies and it will possibly the the last motorhome we purchase (My wive says I always say that).

Only thing that would worry me is that if they build one to order for you I understand they require a very substantial deposit. In view of their recent financial history I would be looking for some way to guard against the possibility of loosing that.

Regarding IH vans, we drove past their premises about 2 weeks ago and I had a good oggle as we did so and saw the bright green van they had in their car park with the new 'MH' type door installed instead of the standard sliding door. IMV it looked AWFUL! 8-)

It reminded me of a side door on a security van, the type they use to collecting money from premises with the flat panel on the side with a sliding hatch/drawer into which they put the bags/boxes of cash etc. Because IH have 'fitted' what looks very much like the standard door you get in a coachbuilt MH, there was no attempt made to integrate it by following the panel lines (as with the original door), so aesthetically, for me at least, it just looked wrong.

It is interesting that I can't find ANY image of the outside of any of their new 'door type' vans, either on their website or in the internet generally ... the ONLY image I can find that shows the new door in any way is the one below of an interior shot and an external shot from which I think was the recent NEC show but taken in such a way as you cannot see the outside of the door.

476972180_ihdoor.jpg.911aa7f45ecc3cf6e469b41ce0d2b9b4.jpg

976067327_ihgreen.jpg.745cba679e7614117a6f6f2a307a7c9e.jpg

Tracker - 2013-11-09 7:44 PM

It may have been a prototype Mel - maybe testing the principle rather than the finished article as IH usually do a neat job of their conversions - unless it was marked up for sale?

I saw somewhere that the green new van had been sold at the show.

Peter

It may have been a prototype Mel - maybe testing the principle rather than the finished article as IH usually do a neat job of their conversions - unless it was marked up for sale?

The green van is "for rich kids", not my quote ;-)

The 'security van' hinged door seems to be finished product, and the 'normal' coloured van at NEC which had it was sold on the Saturday. As I posted on t'other thread IMO the hinged door just gives a different set of compromises, not least because it is a bit narrow esp. if going throu the door with a backpack on. IMO the best way forward is the combined hinged/sliding side door, but maybe not availible in UK side and I've not actualy seen one in the flesh.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2013-11-09 8:45 PM

The green van is "for rich kids", not my quote ;-)

The 'security van' hinged door seems to be finished product, and the 'normal' coloured van at NEC which had it was sold on the Saturday. As I posted on t'other thread IMO the hinged door just gives a different set of compromises, not least because it is a bit narrow esp. if going throu the door with a backpack on. IMO the best way forward is the combined hinged/sliding side door, but maybe not availible in UK side and I've not actualy seen one in the flesh.

Wots a backpack? :-S...........is that something that happens to old folks after they get a frontpack?............or as I call mine a beer belly :D.............although I rarely drink beer :-S..........

As for the door in question ;-)...............design over function springs to mind :D..................must be why they didn't paint it green (lol)

I used the term 'backpack' as using the term 'rucksack' might give the impression of a big item, in fact I should have used the term 'daypack'.

The hinged door has some merits as some people like Henry's wife struggle with a SLD, There are even better ideas out there, and if any manufacturers want to know they can contact me throu this forum.

I would have thought that instead of completely replacing the sliding door with a partial panel and MH type door, still installing a partial panel but a SMALLER sliding door would be the better bet as this would negate the heaviness of the larger standard sliding door for opening/closing, but it would aesthetically look much better.

Mel B - 2013-11-10 2:41 PM

I would have thought that instead of completely replacing the sliding door with a partial panel and MH type door, still installing a partial panel but a SMALLER sliding door would be the better bet as this would negate the heaviness of the larger standard sliding door for opening/closing, but it would aesthetically look much better.

The cost of re-designing and re-engineering the sliding door mechanism for a small run of vans would be astronomical in context per unit - unless all the converters could get together and pool their resources - or is that a pink hephelump I see flying overhead!

Guest JudgeMental

Just buy the new model electric sliding door or electric automatic closer.... or get the solid door replacement in GRP with integral caravan door...all available from guess where? Surprise! Surprise! :D

dont see the point of trying to turn a van into a mini CB....

JudgeMental - 2013-11-10 4:18 PM

dont see the point of trying to turn a van into a mini CB...

Why not?

Arguably for many people the worst aspect of a van conversion is that bloomin great cumbersome sliding barn door so any economic way of getting rid of it has to be worth considering?

Tracker - 2013-11-10 4:55 PM

Why not?

Arguably for many people the worst aspect of a van conversion is that bloomin great cumbersome sliding barn door so any economic way of getting rid of it has to be worth considering?

But it's available, the converters only have to order Van without the side door option. After all it is an extra cost item on Fiat's price list. Certainly upto the LWB 6.0m Van, although not sure regarding the Ex-LWB 6.39m van)

So presumably if ordering from factory it could be specified.

tazdog6007 - 2013-11-11 2:44 PM

thanks for the pics clever use of space and bits.fiamma and some timber will sort some of your ideas.thanks again :-D tazdog warwick duo

You are most welcome - and if you come up with any good ideas of your own I'm still not to old or grumpy to learn from others!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-11-10 4:55 PM

Why not?

But conversely many people like the wide open aspect of them, I know we do on a hot summers day,so there's the conundrum.

I suspect, perhaps as IH have for many years now done conversions with either rear doors or a solid one piece rear, an enterprising company could come up with a similar side door option as well, I can't see any reason why one could not be retrospectively fitted as well for those who want one................a dragons den idea maybe. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-11 3:41 PM

But conversely many people like the wide open aspect of them, I know we do on a hot summers day,so there's the conundrum.

;-)

Quite so Mike - but with so many vans now filling in half of the otherwise unused, some might say wasted, space taken up by the fully open barn door with furniture or seats the need or usefulness of a full size door is severely reduced in some cases.

Being rear lounge we get an airflow and view from opening the back doors when needed.

Thinking about this again, the easiest and most aesthetically pleasing way to put in a more 'normal' type of door in the side of a van instead of the sliding door would be to:

either: get it with no door at all and then fit a standard type door in part of the panel (as has already been suggested and may be what IH actually do) but make the door blend in better

or: get it with a sliding door but then cut the door in half, weld the rear half back in place and make the other side into a hinged door.

Of course, we could instead ask if the van manufacturers would go back to the good old days where vans had 2 hinged doors in place of a single sliding door like the below - something I wished they'd never stopped making!

camper-van.jpg.5cc00cb02b25f80bcbafa37b3f587bcb.jpg

Archived