Dartmouth - North Embankment

sean.clarke

Hi,

I have read elsewhere that overnighting is tolerated on the North Embankment road in Dartmouth, can anyone confirm if this is the case? I see there are parking restrictions between 9:00 and 18:00 and there are toilets and showers (for the visiting yellow wellies - I assume this is why it is tolerated).

We are off to Dartmouth for a long weekend and I would like to travel down Thursday evening so we get a full day feeling fresh on the Friday. Money for overnighting isn't an issue, I would gladly pay, but arriving at 23:00 is the issue.

I will look up nearby locations in Brit Stops when I get home, but wanted to verify what I had read.

Thanks in advance,

There is a Sainsbury's on the way into Dartmouth, perhaps you could stay there.

Went to Salcombe the other day and saw motorhomes parked in the Park and Ride, I assumed they had spent the night there, but cannot confirm that. :-D

The Dartmouth ower ferry has been out of commission fror work on the slipway for some months. Not sure if it is on line again yet.

The last higher ferry from Kingswear is at 22.50.

If approaching via Totnes there are acouple of useable laybys one about half mile after Harbetonford and another just after turning off the Kingsbridge road above Halwell immediatly after a steep LH bend.

Try the Sportsmans Arms about 2 miles short of Dartmouth. They have a car park at back out of sight of the road.

The LA South Hams DC should be able to advise on parking restrictions.

Thanks for your reply, I did note that you can certainly park a MH in the pay and display (large vehicles will need to purchase 2 tickets if needed). However I think there are overnight restrictions.

Just checked Brit Stops....... there are no stopovers listed in that area :-( I am aware of the stopover facility on the M5 services, but would really like to get close to our destination.

Apologies typo error. The layby after Halwell is immediatly after a RH uphill bend.

A bit more research reveals.

www.southhams.gov.uk/article/1710/Where-can-I-park-my-motor-home?.

You can use the park and ride at the top of the hill before entering Dartmouth from the Totnes direction.

Its free between 18.00 and 08.00. Best set the alarm clock.

The Lower ferry is working, last a touch earlier than the higher.

Thanks for the info and link George, however the key bit of info at the bottom of that page...

"overnight camping is not permitted in any council car park at any time"

Which I guess is going to be a common theme, soul be interesting to look in as I go passed and see if there are MH's parked for the night.

Hello saun Clark can you please tell me which stopover on the m5. You was referring to , is it the Michael wood services? As I need to set off late after work to Devon and would like somewhere to stop on way . Thanks pampam (overnight)

Pampam - 2013-08-03 7:39 PM

Hello saun Clark can you please tell me which stopover on the m5. You was referring to , is it the Michael wood services? As I need to set off late after work to Devon and would like somewhere to stop on way . Thanks pampam (overnight)

Sorry for the delay, I must have missed this. There is a Roadchef facility that I believe you pay the HGV overnight charge (£23 which includes a £10 food voucher):

http://www.roadchef.com/travelling-for-hgv.html

http://www.roadchef.com/route-planner.html

Also a recent post contained the link below which details some facilities around the Exeter area...

http://www.torridge.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=8985

Guest Peter James
sean.clarke - 2013-07-31 11:36 PM

"overnight camping is not permitted in any council car park at any time"

'define 'overnight camping' and show me the Traffic Regulation Order you need to enforce it.

Then prove I was doing it as I am going 'not guilty' :D

The logic that dictates it OK to park your unattended motorcaravan in a council car park overnight but wrong to sleep in it escapes me.

In late out early and dont leave any trace. If you want to be really devious, check for any CCTV cameras then park so there is an entrance door on the blind side. Exit via a door that is in shot and re-enter via the blind one.

that should wind up one or two who only see life in blackand white.

Archived