refillable gas cylinders

Archiesgrandad

Later today I will be fitting the new Gas-it cylinder to the van , and my natural instinct is to not use PTFE tape or jointing compounds to seal the various connections, any thoughts?

Also, our recently aquired van is on a 1997 Peugeot Boxer chassis, and I have noticed that on the central control knob for the heater, that is, the one to control the temperature, the red square is illuminated when the ignition is on. Nothing I have done turns it off, and the blue square is not illuminated.. I did not noticei this when I drove it back home a couple of weeks ago. Any thoughts?

AGD

As a retired plumber & heating engineer I have always worked on the principal that it's always safer and cheaper to use PTFE tape than to have to strip down and renew a leaking joint, for gas joints there is a special "Permanite Gas PTFE tape" it's dearer than the ordinary stuff (about £2:50 a roll) but worth it in the long run.

Regards

Phil

I persoanaly would not use PTFE tape it could get in to the regulator or the jets, it is really only for tapered gas threads. I just use a small amount of jointing compound that is suitable for propane. If everything is aligned and clean face to face joints and compression fittings should not need any extra belt and braces.

The technicians at Truma(UK) once told me that it was commonplace for gas appliances brought to them for attention to find that the appliances' gas pipework was obstructed by jointing compound. So, if it's felt that jointing compound MUST be used (and I've never felt a need to use it) don't be over-lavish with it and don't get it in the pipework.

Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-02 1:32 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts about the heater control knob problem?

AGD

Helpful to know the make and model of motorhome you own, and (more importantly) the make and model of the heater that has these mysterious red and blue squares that illuminate. I admire your faith in forum members' clairvoyant abilities, but there is a limit... ;-) ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-03 10:03 AM

Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-02 1:32 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts about the heater control knob problem?

AGD

Helpful to know the make and model of motorhome you own, and (more importantly) the make and model of the heater that has these mysterious red and blue squares that illuminate. I admire your faith in forum members' clairvoyant abilities, but there is a limit... ;-) ;-)

.....I assume he means the dashboard lighting for the base vehicle heating.

It's some time since I had a Ducato of this vintage, but, AFAIR the instruments were illuminated once the ignition key was turned.

If this indeed is the case, (which can be assessed by whether the "binnacle" with the speedo lights up) then the two ends of the temperature scale have "windows" that were illuminated, and I would expect these probably also to function with the ignition on.

I don't think adjusting the control will have any effect whatsoever, the red light is probably functioning as it should do (and it may be that the other end of the scale never illuminated, or has a bulb blown, or, more likely, has one of the plastic "light channels" detached behind the dash).

I'm sure a current owner of the same vintage vehicle could confirm or not.

Thank you Robinhood,I believe you have cracked it, the problem is not that the red,light is on, it is that the blue light is not on. Simples.

As far as the jointing compound for the gas fittings is concerned I think I'll give it a go without.

Once again, guys and galls, thank you for your,help.

AGD

Guest 1footinthegrave
Just two weeks ago I fitted a Gasit bottle system, I have stuck with my screw on propane regulator which I shall change periodically, I also have an inline filter from Gasit, I have not used any form of jointing compound, and have never done so in domestic work other than on tapered threads. As others have pointed out there should be no need to in any event, good luck with it, and just test it with leak detector spray when yuo have finished, no leaks at all on mine, ;-) so your natural instinct I'd say was correct.

Archived