Strapping down a scooter

crob

We have a van with a rear transverse garage into which we put our scooter. The garage has four securing bolts on the bottom - 2 on the nearside and 2 on the offside. I have tried securing the scooter by using ratchet straps over the handlebars onto the front bolts, but this puts too much pressure on the front fork seals, resulting in early failure of these. If I leave the scooter not tightly tied down, it "walks" during transit which can make taking it out quite difficult.

Has anyone had a similar experience and come up with a better solution than mine, please?

Thanks for all input.

Colin Robinson.

I've always had bikes(although never taken one away with the MH) and when ever I've moved then in a van or trailer, I've always found it best to "lodge" the wheel into a corner if possible...

Personally I'd look at making a timer frame or floor "over-lay"(ply), on which you could form a "pocket/groove" that would retain the wheels..

(..if a full floor "over-lay", you could still use the existing anchor points by cutting out clearance access holes).

The ratchet straps shouldn't really need that much tension on them, it the bike is retained in place...

But if that still isn't enough,I'd also look at the possibility of fitting either a vertical post or horizontal span bar(both removable),that you could "lash" it to..

Personally I'd look at making a timer frame or floor "over-lay"(ply), on which you could form a "pocket/groove" that would retain the wheels..

this is exactly what I did 6mm ply and exact fit on floor with 3x2 screwed to form a pocket for the rear wheal also a piece of 3x2 that laid along side front wheal when locked and a strap to that. Then strapped to the metal bed frame across the handle bars. Never moved an inch

ips - 2013-08-02 12:41 PM

this is exactly what I did 6mm ply and exact fit on floor with 3x2 screwed to form a pocket for the rear wheal also a piece of 3x2 that laid along side front wheal when locked and a strap to that. Then strapped to the metal bed frame across the handle bars. Never moved an inch

Thats pretty much what I would do with 3x2 timber to hold the wheels in place.

norm

We carry a 105 kg Honda Innova in much the same way as you've described and I tie it down as hard as I can so the suspension is almost bottomed.

Have done this for 4 years and the suspension has always recovered. I've not noticed any prob with seals. Has this happened or are you guarding against?

Re walking: Over a few days travelling, the suspension gives and the tie downs appear to have loosened. This permits the wheels to revolve a few degrees forward/backward.

I use a small Fiamma style push bike strap to hold the front brake on and the Honda stays put even if the tie downs are looser.

Hughmer - 2013-08-03 12:30 PMWe carry a 105 kg Honda Innova in much the same way as you've described and I tie it down as hard as I can so the suspension is almost bottomed. Have done this for 4 years and the suspension has always recovered. I've not noticed any prob with seals. Has this happened or are you guarding against?Re walking: Over a few days travelling, the suspension gives and the tie downs appear to have loosened. This permits the wheels to revolve a few degrees forward/backward.I use a small Fiamma style push bike strap to hold the front brake on and the Honda stays put even if the tie downs are looser.

As an 'avid' biker...I own 6 of them and regularly did track days, I can comment from experience that if your suspension has not been damaged (burst seals or over compressed springs) you have been extremely lucky.  Tying down as you do is a big 'no no' in the bike world. 

Tying the front brake lever 'on' with a strap or other method and enough restraint to hold the bike upright is all that is necessary.  This restraint is usually achieved by using two straps going forward and two going aft with all straps pulling down and outwards, lightly compressing the suspension but not 'cranking' it down.

RogerC - 2013-08-04 2:02 PM

I can comment from experience that if your suspension has not been damaged (burst seals or over compressed springs) you have been extremely lucky.  QUOTE]

Just following the advice of my neighbour who is a mechanic and another track enthusiast.

I suppose the fact that nothing's gone "ping" could be a feather in Honda's cap for building a robust little bike like the Innova that will stand the ill treatment I give it

Innova? Cracking little bike. Done over 23,000kms on ours already in 2.5 years, almost all 2-up. Utterly bulletproof, and a hoot to ride.

One option might be to wedge a block of soft wood under the engine sump before tightening the front & rear ratchet straps down, to stop the suspension getting compressed.

Also, you really don't have to tighten those traps much at all.........one over the saddle (with a towel under it) and one to each handlebar should do it, then a velcro strap around front brake lever/handlebar - again not too tight.

• 2 months later...

Archived