Trojan Traction Batteries

dwaviation

Guest 1footinthegrave
I don't have any experience as such, but oddly enough just a couple of weeks ago I was reading that two 6 volt mobility scooter / golf cart batteries wired in series is a far better option than a so called leisure battery, I say so called because the article said that a standard 12 volt battery at much cheaper cost was just as good as a leisure battery, go figure . ;-)

Hi,

I have 2x6volt 235a/h Trojan in my van and 4x 12 volt 150a/h Trojan on my boat

Main diff to "leisure" batteries is weight - more lead the better! though my 12volt 150 a/h weigh 38Kgs each!!

They are true deep cycle batteries as used in golf carts, access platforms etc and the next best to individual 2volt "traction" cells as used in fork lift trucks

They are however vented through the fill caps so you will need a sealed/vented enclosure to house them

Performance wise they are the best I have ever used

Regards Ray

a standard 12 volt battery at much cheaper cost was just as good as a leisure battery, go figure . ;-)

Hi 1foot,

By standard I guess you mean a ‘car starter type of battery? Just wondered if the article you refer to is generally available to be read? I’ve always understood that the two types (leisure and starter) where completely different in design.

Cattwg :-D

Thanks for the replies. I am just installing a CTEK 250S Dual charging system and am in a quandry as to whether to complete the job with a Trojan battery at £180 or a Numax Leisure battery for £80...?

A further question if I may; The CTEK requires 4mm2 cable for the positive connections but only 1.5mm2 for the earths... How does that work? Will it make any difference if I complete the job with 4mm2 for the earth?

Hi,

I think the confusion arises with the term "leisure" - most "leisure" batteries are standard lead acid starter batteries with a leisure lable stuck on

There is no standard for "leisure" batteries in fact more than one re-seller lables the same battery as leisure, marine, and deep cycle

All are manufactured overseas and given a UK lable by the seller/retailer

To quote Charles Sterling (Sterling chargers/inverters etc)

"Watch the term leisure / deep cycle as it simply does not exist. The standard, so called, leisure batteries, are simply starter batteries with extra support for the active lead material. This may increase the life by 5 – 10 %, but does not turn a starter battery into a deep cycle battery. True traction (deep cycle) are not available at a sensible price and are uneconomical to use for standard leisure use"

Good Luck

Ray

dwaviation - 2013-08-04 5:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am just installing a CTEK 250S Dual charging system and am in a quandry as to whether to complete the job with a Trojan battery at £180 or a Numax Leisure battery for £80...?

A further question if I may; The CTEK requires 4mm2 cable for the positive connections but only 1.5mm2 for the earths... How does that work? Will it make any difference if I complete the job with 4mm2 for the earth?

The cable dimensions are minima (see CTEK instructions). Using 4mm2 section cable for earthing would be fine.

As far as the battery is concerned, are the dimensions of the Trojan 31XHS critical? (ie. Is this the physically largest battery you can fit in the available space?) If not, you could certainly get a larger (dimensionally) 'genuine' leisure battery (say a Banner "Energy Bull") that has a good under-test reputation and would be a fair bit cheaper.

As has already been said, if you choose a battery that is not genuinely maintenance-free, you'll need to consider how it will be maintained (not easy if buried beneath a swivelling cab-seat for example) and that it will need to be vented.

Archived