Ferry security

chas

Funny that we were stopped on the way out this year, the first time ever since the 70's, at the time we were the only vehicle (believe it or not) entering Dover terminal so I think they must have been trying to get their quota up!! :-D :-D :-D They came into the van but the only question we were asked was were we carrying any knives, I said no not thinking about all the cutlery on board DOH!!

[QUOTE]olley - 2006-08-10 6:40 PM ...................Strong words, why is my gas fridge going to cause a fire? does yours? If you think its that dangerous then I assume you must turn it off at night? The biggest cause of vehicle fires are Electrical, but do you turn off your battery isolator when you go on the ferry? (If you even have one) eurotunnel have recently agreed to allow fixed gas tanks for domestic use only to go on the tunnel, but not LPG vehicles powered, why? what is the logic behind that. very often these regulations are made by ill informed insurance companies, and people take them as gospel. Olley[/QUOTE]

Olley

I think you may be missing the point of the restriction somewhat.  The danger is not so much that the fridge causes a fire directly, but may do so indirectly. 

Car decks are (the ferry operators hope!) filled with vehicles, all of which have fuel tanks. 

Diesel is not generally a concerm because, until it is atomised, it is quite difficuly to ignite. 

Petrol, on the other hand, has a very low flash point and produces heavy, flammable, vapour. 

Fridges cycle on, and off, while running on gas.  An overfilled fuel tank on a petrol fuelled vehicle, sloshing as the boat rolls, may cause a fuel spill.  The vapour from the spill will spread and, if there is a gas fired fridge in the vicinity, the vapour has its source of ignition. 

The risk is remote, but it does exist, and that is why the gas powered fridge should be turned off.  Fires on car decks aren't funny!

Regards

Referring to the original enquiry - we use Plymouth - Roscoff, and several times until a couple of yearss ago, we found on checking in at Plymouth they searched underneath with a mirror,as well as asking to see inside the motorhome. This year Security asked to see inside, plus the usual questions, including any knives - what answer Do they expect to that one, I wonder! At no time in travelling for more than 10 years on this route have we ever been checked at Roscoff. I note they do look pretty carefull at number plates though - not quite sure why! I guess someone will have the answer...? (!)

I really cant see why any fridge needs to be left on since the longest crossing most of us is likely to make is to Santander anyway.We always turn ours up high about 24 hours before sailing & its still frozen when we get to Spain.If it isn't I suggest you check the door seal is doing its job & replace it if theres any doubt.As far as the outward searches are concerned just what are they looking for ??

[QUOTE]bjphillips - 2006-08-16 7:51 PM I really cant see why any fridge needs to be left on since the longest crossing most of us is likely to make is to Santander anyway.We always turn ours up high about 24 hours before sailing & its still frozen when we get to Spain.If it isn't I suggest you check the door seal is doing its job & replace it if theres any doubt.As far as the outward searches are concerned just what are they looking for ??[/QUOTE]

Frozen food may still be hard (just!) after 24 hours, but I'd be surprised if the temperature in the frozen food compartment, or within the main fridge compartment, is still within limits.  Contents probably OK if consumed fairly quickly, but not good for cooked chicken, for example, unless very thoroughly cooked beforehand!

What are they looking for?  Your reactions, mainly.  Most Customs/immigration officers work from information received, but they also look out for anomolous vehicles/occupants and, if they think they've noticed something odd, or unusual, they'll pull you over.  What happens next will largely depend on how you then respond, conditioned by what they discover!

Archived