About time to...

Guest pelmetman

Damn! :D

Actually Dave, I'd thought better of it, thinking :- a.) That it speaks for itself, and, b.)I'd 'done dogs to death', on this forum.

Like you, (comiserations, mate) I'm off to hospital (only consultant rheumatologist out-patients) so my thoughts were elsewhere!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. I fully agree --about time too!

C.

A long overdue update to the law.

So called "status dogs" have miserable lives with uncaring owners who want the dogs for their aggressive looks to make up for their own inadequacies.

As a dog owner who has come across guide dogs that have been attacked by untrained vicious dogs owned by emotional retards I fully support this new change in the law.

I would also fully support the re-introduction of a dog licence that costs a fair bit. It is too easy for idiots to buy dogs from a bloke down the pub.

I doubt that any true dog lover would say any different.

We have had two "Rescue Dogs" from Dog Trust (NCDL as was) and have been well vetted and had to attend training lessons with the dog before we could take the dog home.

I believe all new dog owners should be able to demonstrate that they have had training in dog handling.

This is how it should be done and I would hope that the system as used by Dog Trust could be used as a "model". When you get a dog - you are not getting a toy (or a penile extension for the inadequate) you are getting something that properly trained will be a fantastically loyal family member who makes a walk an absolute joy.

A Guide Dog is probably the ultimate example of how dogs can benefit society.

To see how we as a country have allowed some to breed these "status" dogs to be bought by idiots underlines the monumental folly that is the Dangerous Dogs Act. This Act needs some serious updating as it was a knee-jerk reaction rather than sensible well thought through legislation.

I would broaden the legislation to include irresponsible owners being prosecuted for failing to control noisy dogs.  New people moved in a few doors from us over Christmas with 5 dogs....in a three bed semi???  Two Rottweilers, two yappy ratty things and an Alsatian, which the 'owner' said would rip you to bits if it got out.   The barking was so bad my good lady and self could not hear each other to converse in our conservatory and on other occasions had to vacate our garden because of the noise.  Three approaches (polite requests) to the neighbours resulted in having the door slammed in my face on the third occasion........and they wonder why, some months later (I am the tolerant sort...up to a point) I reported them. 

Strangely, and it was not of my doing, the dog warden got involved and after a number of weeks the barking has almost ceased.  Now to my mind this could have been resolved amicably but the attitude of the neighbours, who allowed their dogs to destroy the relative peace and quiet of the neighbourhood, made it impossible.  In essence I feel that in most cases it is not the dog that is 'dangerous' or 'a nuisance' it is the owner and I applaud this new approach though IMO it should be widened in scope.

The law obviously does need updating on vicious dogs, but I do wish the media wouldn't keep coming out with this " life in prison " rubbish.

Everyone knows that it's only said ( by politicians and media ) to give the impression that REALLY firm action is being taken, but equally, everyone knows that hardly anyone is actually imprisoned for life for ANY crime.

I would prefer to hear minimum fixed sentences ( that are true ).

:-(

malc d - 2013-08-06 9:02 AMThe law obviously does need updating on vicious dogs, but I do wish the media wouldn't keep coming out with this " life in prison " rubbish.Everyone knows that it's only said ( by politicians and media ) to give the impression that REALLY firm action is being taken, but equally, everyone knows that hardly anyone is actually imprisoned for life for ANY crime.I would prefer to hear minimum fixed sentences ( that are true ). :-(

I'll happily second that comment malc.

We have a rescue dog that barked - sadly even quiet dogs can "learn" to bark when in a pound with lots of other dogs. To be there when one starts and they then all go off is quite and experience!

But we do not have noisy dogs - if one of ours barks it is because there is a problem that needs investigating - it is not because they are bored.

We cured this dog of its barking by getting a "Bark Collar" that when the dog barked it emitted a puff of Citronella aerosol. Now to a dog with its ultra sensitive nose, a blast of Citronella is a considerable assault on its senses. So much so that when used the first time the dog ran straight to us for "protection" and had that very worried wide eyed crumpled lips look that dog owners may recognise.

Three weeks of that and it had leaned that barking for the sake of it was not a good idea. The Bark collar is in a cupboard having not been used since 2009 when we got him.

So controlling dog barking is easy and inexpensive.

It is the owners fault not the dogs - the dogs will do what you as pack leader "tell them" - if you are an idiot that knows little about dogs they will bark if THEY want to.

Roger - this is to me - another example of idiot dog owners.

My thoughts are that if the Licence fee was £100 a year would these idiotic neighbours of yours have taken on as many dogs?

We have two dogs and I would willingly pay £200 a year for the privilege of owning them.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2013-08-06 9:31 AM

We have two dogs and I would willingly pay £200 a year for the privilege of owning them.

My only caveat would be for people on minimum income, perhaps unable to work, pensioner etc who can provide a good home to a rescue dog, but maybe a £200 licence would be a big disincentive :-S............I would suggest a licence similar to that for classic cars............ie Free........with the RSPCA or such like to over see it ;-)...............indeed I would let the RSPCA administer the whole scheme :D

pelmetman - 2013-08-06 9:41 AM

CliveH - 2013-08-06 9:31 AM

My only caveat would be for people on minimum income, perhaps unable to work, pensioner etc who can provide a good home to a rescue dog, but maybe a £200 licence would be a big disincentive :-S............I would suggest a licence similar to that for classic cars............ie Free........with the RSPCA or such like to over see it ;-)...............indeed I would let the RSPCA administer the whole scheme :D

Yes fair comment Dave - pensioners in particular do not pay for TV Licence so why should the pay for a dog licence. For many elderly people having an animal (not necessarily a dog) is the thing that keeps them going.

We have taken our two into a nursing home when visiting an elderly relative and were asked to do so by the owners of the home as it "cheered everyone up" - and it did indeed. Trouble is the dogsput on so much weight because the residents all fought to give them tit-bits.

If anyone wants to read a truly uplifting story of how animals can help you "sort things out" then read this book:-

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12394068-a-street-cat-named-bob

Not a dog obviously :-D - but the reality is the same.

malc d - 2013-08-06 10:16 AM

Surely, in line with current government thinking, any couple who only have a combined income of up to three hundred thousand pounds should get help with the price of a dog licence, from taxpayers ?

:-|

If that income is derived primarily from benefits then this would indeed happen (sarc is on :D )

malc d - 2013-08-06 10:35 AM

CliveH - 2013-08-06 10:27 AM

.................. - pensioners in particular do not pay for TV Licence .......................................

Really ?

I've been dun !

:-(

Pensioners over 75 do not pay for TV licences - but the rest of us still have to!

Yes Rich - my wife is spitting feathers at originally expecting to retire at 60, which was fine because I am 4 years older so my OAP would be available the year before SWMBO got hers. Then it moved to 62 and now it moves to 66!

So our plans are to move abroad and rent the house out as well as the BTL so we pay as little tax and NI as possible to the UK.

It is interesting because very little winds my good lady up, but this movement of her pension date has really got her incensed. And she is not alone.

There are times Clive when I think I am happy to be those few years older with both Dot and I on full pensions at the old normal ages allied to having had the very best of the final salary occupational pensions and stock market returns on private pensions and property value growth.

On the other hand you should probably live longer than we will!

C'est la vie - can't have it all ways I guess!

Guest pelmetman

I agree Rich, the baby boomers of your generation struck it lucky ;-).................those of us on the cusp will have to be more creative with our meagre means 8-).....................although I don't see it as a major problem as we've spent the last 10 years learning to enjoy life more and spend less B-)........

In fact I'm so good at it :D...........we have a nice time now on less money than when all our pensions kick in :->.......

I only go to work to pay bills for the house and business *-)

pelmetman - 2013-08-06 4:42 PM

..we have a nice time now on less money than when all our pensions kick in

Just a thought Dave - but, state pension aside, have you contacted any of your other pension providers with a view to taking them early, albeit with less income, so you can give up work altogether and become a fully paid up member of the league of full time loafers?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-08-06 4:47 PM

pelmetman - 2013-08-06 4:42 PM

..we have a nice time now on less money than when all our pensions kick in

Just a thought Dave - but, state pension aside, have you contacted any of your other pension providers with a view to taking them early, albeit with less income, so you can give up work altogether and become a fully paid up member of the league of full time loafers?

You must of missed my "We is a pensioner" thread Rich ;-)...................£150 of unearned lovelyness arrives in my bank account every month :D ...................got to wait another 5 years til I'm 60 for my navy pension and 10 for my state pension at 66 :'(...............but being a toyboy................I will soon be a kept man B-)..............

I reckon we will have enough to get by when we long term, not accounting for any buy to let income or anything from my pelmet or pouffe empire, which I have deliberately not based our plans on just in case :-S..........so anything from them will be a bonus :->

But until we've sold I guess I'll have to keep working *-)...............occasionally (lol) .......

Archived