Leisure battery on charge all the time..

Lochburn

Without knowing what type and age van you have, what electrical system is fitted, how old the battery is, whether the charger has an off switch, what happens to the battery charge when the van is left of charge it is not possible to say a lot.

Just because the battery is shown as on charge it may not be fully on charge as the charger may have an automatic charge maintenance regime to keep it topped up.

Do you have a multi meter to check voltages - they are an inexpensive and essential bit of kit for many of us as leisure batteries can be a real pain in the locker and if you are able to check various voltages it helps to determine what is wrong, if anything.

Hi Tracker

I have a Benimar 2004 Aero 6000.. , have no idea about the electrical system , but have a feeling the battery is "very old" ... Can't see an off switch for a charger and since I have solar power guess I have to disconnect this to gather further infos as to the state of the battery.. This spring I found the battery empty of water and filled it up....

Will try to get a multi meter to check out the voltages..

Thanks

Cheers

If you think that your battery is very old and your charger is constantly working, I would advise a change of battery.

Some experts state that an old battery can cause your on-board charger to fail. It has happened to me.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php . (Look nine lines down).

For those interested, in my case I always had an OVP01 surge protector attached.

Lochburn - 2013-08-07 5:36 PMHi TrackerI have a Benimar 2004 Aero 6000.. , have no idea about the electrical system , but have a feeling the battery is "very old" ... Can't see an off switch for a charger and since I have solar power guess I have to disconnect this to gather further infos as to the state of the battery.. This spring I found the battery empty of water and filled it up.... Will try to get a multi meter to check out the voltages..ThanksCheers

If the battery was truly out of 'electrolyte' (battery acid) and you topped it up with water (distilled I trust) it is entirely possible (I would almost guarantee) it is dead.  Just topping up an empty battery will not replace the electrolyte.  In addition during the time it was low on fluid the plates will have been damaged.  In this condition it is quite possible there will be either no reaction or excess gassing.

If it was mine, for the cost of a replacement and peace of mind I wouldn't hesitate to change it.

Archived