Lot France to Croatia

mildi

Advice please,

We are in France at the moment and plan to get to Croatia (would like to spend a week or two ) and end up in Pecs Hungary (visiting the outlaws) and we are not sure about the bit in-between, we are in a 3.85T 7.5m Adria CB towing a car on a trailer.

Any suggestions on best route or places to avoid, we have a couple of months before we have to be back in the UK so it will be a leisurely pace.

Looked at crossing Italy to Slovenia?

We have registered for the go box in Austria for the route back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark.

"Best route" is a bit of a tall order, when the point of origin is a country the size of France, and the destination another the length of Croatia! How about giving us a clue or two as to starting point and actual destination? I think you'll get much more helpful replies if you can.

Brian Kirby - 2013-08-08 2:29 PM

"Best route" is a bit of a tall order, when the point of origin is a country the size of France, and the destination another the length of Croatia! How about giving us a clue or two as to starting point and actual destination? I think you'll get much more helpful replies if you can.

Brian I guess he is in the Lot area going by the thread title?

Yes will be I LOT on Monday as from there it will depend where we go as to the best place to cross Italy,

possibly Grenoble and then into Italy on A43.

We will only be heading to the north of Croatia around Rijeka and Krk. Hungary is no problem as we know it well. Hope this helps if not I will try and be more precise.

Many thanks, Mark.

mildi - 2013-08-08 9:06 PM

Yes will be I LOT on Monday as from there it will depend where we go as to the best place to cross Italy,

possibly Grenoble and then into Italy on A43.

We will only be heading to the north of Croatia around Rijeka and Krk. Hungary is no problem as we know it well. Hope this helps if not I will try and be more precise.

Many thanks, Mark.

Sorry, I somehow managed to misconstrue your post to mean you would leave the Lot and travel elsewhere before you head for Croatia.

I think, with your rig, I'd be inclined to head for Clermont-Ferrand and then via Lyon, Turin, Milan and Vicenza to Trieste, to enter Slovenia towards Koper or Kozina, depending on your chosen destination in Croatia. It's a bit hilly, but the alternative of going down to Toulouse and then round via Montpellier, Aix, Nice and Genoa takes you quite a long way round, and you then have to hack back up to Padua via Brescia or possibly Bologna to get to Trieste. Avoiding the cost of the French autoroutes on either tack pretty much parallels the autoroutes, but will be longer, slower, and if via Clermont, a fair bit hillier. Don't know what the Italian tolls would be with the extra weight and the trailer but, off autostrada, Italian roads always seem to me relatively slow and crowded, so to cover any appreciable distance I tend to use at least substantial chunks of autostrada. Hope this helps.

Archived