FRENCH VALUE FOR MONEY

Wills Wagon

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-08-09 9:43 PM

Still better than that motorhome slum they call an aire.

Yawn.............................................. :-S

And for the OP, how do you know this was just a couple of friends parked up and simply enjoying each others company, trust me I've checked out many sites in France that do not give you much more room, one in the ACSI book we went to in Agde earlier this year made even "the slum" of Honfleur look like a 5 stars site, needless to say we turned around and went elsewhere.

Oh come on. Yes Honfleur aire is always very busy but not as bad as some on here make out. You are an easy walk from the old port in Honfleur, parking is close but not as close as some Aires, you can pick water up from taps well away from the toilet emptying points and if lucky even get an electric hook-up. Suspect some who comment have never stayed.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I often imagine a similar facility within easy walking distance of say Stratford-upon-Avon that charged 8 Euro's a night with electricity, an easy stroll in to the town for a quiet drink, maybe take in a show at the theatre, then a spot of late night supper before an easy stroll back to your van for a quiet nights sleep, my guess is it would be equally as popular as Honfleur, but would us Brits use it, of course we would. ;-)

robertandjean - 2013-08-10 4:00 PM

Oh come on. Yes Honfleur aire is always very busy but not as bad as some on here make out. You are an easy walk from the old port in Honfleur, parking is close but not as close as some Aires, you can pick water up from taps well away from the toilet emptying points and if lucky even get an electric hook-up. Suspect some who comment have never stayed.

I rarely disagree with what you say but here I do. I have stayed at Honfleur aire, and have looked in once more but as we arrived earlier this time was able to flee. Both times it was packed with vans jammed in everywhere, you pay the same whether you can get hookup or not and the chances are you will not. The campsite out of high season is only a couple of euro's more so why would anyone bother, the aire is a tip.

This is the Aire in Honfleur July this year -

We stayed one night, had a decent meal in the town, plenty of off-lead dog walking, we had EHU, topped up with water, disposed of cassette and waste water and had bread delivered at 08.30.

We've been to much better and we've stayed at much worse - horses for courses!

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Good some others also find Honfleur O.K. Yes vans are parked fairly close and it does get very full, we know this worries some of you, fair enough, but we are happy with it provided we can open our door!! Re the hook -ups then if you stay alert should manage to get one, we were there in June for the Amarda event when it was very full but managed to spot someone leaving and with help of three long leads were hooked up. Site was full, so others told us, so not an option then nor at end November last year when closed but plenty space on aire, only 10 of us, and no problems with hook up.

As has been said the 'two-in-a-plot situation were possibly friends.

Following the u tube pictures into Hon Fleure I cannot stress strongly enough that I would hate that sort of life-style just driving about all day and parking up amongst 500 other like minded people, to me its a form of large apartment accommodation living and not for us.

We did go to France and elsewhere many years ago and always found small isolated sites but times change I guess.

Looking at the seating arrangement I would say they are close friends,I have spent a night on the Aire at Honfleur , I didn't go there for a five star holiday I used it One night as a stop over, it suited its Purpose, it would appear some use Aires as a holiday destination instead of what their real purpose is, Campsites would be more suited to some. 

Aires are what they are and nobody is ever forced to stay so what began as a flippant post, presumably to raise a smile, has once again turned into an excuse for the anti aireites to air their antipathy.

Shame really as this uncompromising attitude of late to express a selfish opinion to remake an already well established point is rather detracting from what used to be a good forum.

We only ever use aires, and I know some can be pretty dire but others are great - just like sites, but I would never knock those who only use campsites so what is wrong with peaceful coexistence?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Seems to me peaceful coexistence on these forums is in very short supply, I for one am heartily sick of it. You don;t like something, fine DON'T do it, END OF.

Tracker - 2013-08-11 4:52 PM

Aires are what they are and nobody is ever forced to stay so what began as a flippant post, presumably to raise a smile, has once again turned into an excuse for the anti aireites to air their antipathy.

Shame really as this uncompromising attitude of late to express a selfish opinion to remake an already well established point is rather detracting from what used to be a good forum.

We only ever use aires, and I know some can be pretty dire but others are great - just like sites, but I would never knock those who only use campsites so what is wrong with peaceful coexistence?

Rich if you mean me say so. I have said many times on here that we use aires on a regular basis but not at any cost. We do have the option however as are prepared to use both, you do not as you only use aires, surely better to use the best available whether it be site or aire. However if an aire is rubbish, again what is wrong with saying so, I know some are prepared to accept a lower standard but some are not.

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-10 4:56 PM

I often imagine a similar facility within easy walking distance of say Stratford-upon-Avon that charged 8 Euro's a night with electricity, an easy stroll in to the town for a quiet drink, maybe take in a show at the theatre, then a spot of late night supper before an easy stroll back to your van for a quiet nights sleep, my guess is it would be equally as popular as Honfleur, but would us Brits use it, of course we would. ;-)

I don't know the cost but CCC members will be able to stay at Stratford upon Avon Racecourse at a temporary holiday site over the Bank Holiday Weekend.

I was at Honfleur in early July, (when the fair was in town). It was jam packed but we still managed to find a spot.

The sun was shining and out came the chairs and beer. Had a nice chat with a couple of Brits and a Dutchman.

We had an afternoon stroll around the lovely town of Honfleur.

A pleasant evening and an overnight stay for 5 euros with all the neccessary facilities.

That'll do for me.

rupert123 - 2013-08-11 10:37 PM

Rich if you mean me say so. I have said many times on here that we use aires on a regular basis but not at any cost. We do have the option however as are prepared to use both, you do not as you only use aires, surely better to use the best available whether it be site or aire. However if an aire is rubbish, again what is wrong with saying so, I know some are prepared to accept a lower standard but some are not.

It goes without saying Henry that everyone should be happy with their own style of motorhoming.

This probably changes and develops over the years as tastes in holidays change and people switch from all sites to all aires or a mixture of both.

If one accepts that there is nothing wrong with saying that an aire is rubbish in the writer's opinion the same criteria should be applied to sites, but it is quite wrong to continually criticise those whose type of camping differs from your own.

I think what you seem unable to accept is that for some of us a holiday is not about staying in one place for several days, for which a site is probably the best option, but more an extended tour where a site is just somewhere to kip for the night and for that the combination of faffing about booking in when compared to the simplicity of an aire simply does not compare - especially when you add in the cost of paying for something one does not need or appreciate over several weeks.

We always look for an aire when there is plenty of daylight so that we are not tied to the first one we come to, that way we usually, but not always, avoid the rough ones.

For you to use tight fisted as a continual criticism is also tiresome because what we save in site fees is very often more than made up for in extra diesel costs and whilst it is not only about money would it be fair to say that you too are reluctant to spend money on things that you do not want or need?

So yes Henry, in answer to your question, I did mean you.

Archived