FRENCH VALUE FOR MONEY

Wills Wagon

Just going back to the original photograph....

I obviously know nothing about aires but I wanted to ask what all of the grass in that pitch would be for if there was only one vehicle on it?

I mean; How much space do you expect for a fiver?

I went camping in the UK a few weeks ago and a fairly tidy pitch on a fairly nice site cost me £26 a night! I had an electric hook up (whether I wanted it or not) but was pretty shocked at the price. I think I will buy an electric vehicle and charge that up at night, thereby getting better value for money in future.

Nick

Nick - that ain't the aire that's a nearby campsite!

The Aire is more of a giant car park with a mixture of tarmac, concrete, gravel and pot holes - or at least it was when I last saw it a few years back.

Good enough for a night or two but not somewhere I would want to be longer term.

Tracker - 2013-08-12 11:00 AM

Nick - that ain't the aire that's a nearby campsite!

The Aire is more of a giant car park with a mixture of tarmac, concrete, gravel and pot holes - or at least it was when I last saw it a few years back.

Good enough for a night or two but not somewhere I would want to be longer term.

Not my favourite Aire I have to say, for what it is a little expensive for my tightfisted lifestyle,

I usually leave the Broglie Aire and go directly to the Le Havre Aire at the port.

This actually is just a car park, but after a bottle of Vino Collapso the lamp posts all look like palm trees.

It looks like Camping Du Phare which is just a short walk to the centre of Honfleur. It's quite a basic site but it's got electricity, waste disposal, toilets without seats etc but it's the location to the town that makes it attractive.

When I lived in the U.K I as a tugger, not that I would now wish to spread that fact outside our select circle.

Illumination came to me when I realised the vast distances between places that I really must see.

No problem but as a tugger I then had to retrace my footsteps to return to base camp, with a Camping car Base camp was with me 24/7.

Camp site or Aire? not a fixed choice rather a determination of what is available to me where I want to stop for the night, and in some cases if I need to refresh the undergarments. Cost, a cheap site can be only 11€, an aire similarly priced, but being human if there's a choice the Cheapest, on a like for like (what I like) basis, option always wins.

Like many here I've stayed on that ghastly rutted bomb site at le treport, but it was p'ing down and with the silver-screens up who cares when your asleep!

Tin Man - 2013-08-12 7:49 AM

I was at Honfleur in early July, (when the fair was in town). It was jam packed but we still managed to find a spot.

The sun was shining and out came the chairs and beer. Had a nice chat with a couple of Brits and a Dutchman.

We had an afternoon stroll around the lovely town of Honfleur.

A pleasant evening and an overnight stay for 5 euros with all the neccessary facilities.

That'll do for me.

5 euro's, have you got the right place or has the price gone down sharply, seems unlikely.

Tracker - 2013-08-12 9:53 AM

rupert123 - 2013-08-11 10:37 PM

Rich if you mean me say so. I have said many times on here that we use aires on a regular basis but not at any cost. We do have the option however as are prepared to use both, you do not as you only use aires, surely better to use the best available whether it be site or aire. However if an aire is rubbish, again what is wrong with saying so, I know some are prepared to accept a lower standard but some are not.

It goes without saying Henry that everyone should be happy with their own style of motorhoming.

This probably changes and develops over the years as tastes in holidays change and people switch from all sites to all aires or a mixture of both.

If one accepts that there is nothing wrong with saying that an aire is rubbish in the writer's opinion the same criteria should be applied to sites, but it is quite wrong to continually criticise those whose type of camping differs from your own.

I think what you seem unable to accept is that for some of us a holiday is not about staying in one place for several days, for which a site is probably the best option, but more an extended tour where a site is just somewhere to kip for the night and for that the combination of faffing about booking in when compared to the simplicity of an aire simply does not compare - especially when you add in the cost of paying for something one does not need or appreciate over several weeks.

We always look for an aire when there is plenty of daylight so that we are not tied to the first one we come to, that way we usually, but not always, avoid the rough ones.

For you to use tight fisted as a continual criticism is also tiresome because what we save in site fees is very often more than made up for in extra diesel costs and whilst it is not only about money would it be fair to say that you too are reluctant to spend money on things that you do not want or need?

So yes Henry, in answer to your question, I did mean you.

OK fair enough but lets get a few things straight here. First when did I ever say we always stay in one place for several days, in fact we rarely stay more than three nights and usually one or two. Again I would point out it depends on several things and we like to have the choice, not feel forced to move on every day, this sounds more like a driving holiday to me, but each to their own. If a stopping place is just somewhere to stop briefly between driving I guess it matters little where you stay but to us this is like saying a cheap b & b is just a good as the Dorchester hotel, just somewhere to sleep the night. While strictly speaking true looked at closely it does not 'stack up', where we stay is part of the deal whether in the van or not. I have no problem with someone who states a site is rubbish, it may well be, but to dismiss all sites as rubbish is nonsense but many do it, I have NEVER ever dismissed all aires. No I am certainly reluctant to spend money but also am not afraid to say so and do not feel the need to use all sorts of reasons not to say so. Why is my continual criticism of this any more tedious than you informing us all that you never use sites or others that they only 'wild camp'. One of the main reasons people 'wild camp' or use aires is to save money, it may not be yours or some others but it is certainly a reason, again I fail to see the 'over the top' reaction to my saying this. Finally why should I or anyone else not state their preferred and by implication the best way to do something, you may disagree which is fine but I will stand by my right to say it and the bad news will continue to do so.

Sorry to have caused confusion folks yes the site in question is Camping Le Phare and the two couples were friends and stayed two nights. We like the location because of the short walk into town but the facilities are very basic. Oh for somebody with a bit of money to improve the site and facilities, it could be very profitable. We have noticed that more French vans are using the site so they must be getting fed up with the aire.

rupert123 - 2013-08-13 1:07 PM

One of the main reasons people 'wild camp' or use aires is to save money,

You really are a pain in the a**se Henry why do you keep bleating on & on.

We drive about in a 50 grand Motorhome and are looking at spending over 70 grand to replace it yet we prefer to stay on aires & wild camp rather than stay on sites why cant you get it into your head IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY.

I am never normally rude to people on forums but your single mindedness really gets my back up.

lennyhb - 2013-08-13 9:03 PM

rupert123 - 2013-08-13 1:07 PM

One of the main reasons people 'wild camp' or use aires is to save money,

You really are a pain in the a**se Henry why do you keep bleating on & on.

We drive about in a 50 grand Motorhome and are looking at spending over 70 grand to replace it yet we prefer to stay on aires & wild camp rather than stay on sites why cant you get it into your head IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY.

I am never normally rude to people on forums but your single mindedness really gets my back up.

Lenny I would not take this as rude it is fine, It is remarks by prats like shorthairs I object to. It is a simple truth though , maybe not for you but certainly for a lot.

Archived