Club Site: high season; no hassle!

Gwendolyn

Many threads ago, amid a lively discussion re:

Club sites are A Good Thing / Club Sites are A Bad Thing / Wardens are all little Hitlers / how awful the UK is for Motorhoming / Aires are Superb / But Wildcamping is Better … you know the kind of thread…. Oh... where was I???

Oh yes ….. amid that thread I mentioned that we had booked a week on a C&CC Site during August and that I might live to regret it.

Well, we don’t. All the awful forebodings re children on bikes / children kicking footballs / over crowding / anti-social behaviour, and the rest, were not fulfilled.

The site was not full [it helps]. The Wardens were particularly helpful and friendly, not Hitler types, and there were no notices of the “Do Not” variety. There were a few families camping it’s true. But the children seemed to be well behaved. Footballs were kicked on the football pitch; bikes were ridden on the roads, sedately. The loo block was immaculate – as good as anything on a CC site [often a point of comparison between the 2] and better than some. A really quiet, peaceful and well run site.

And as for the other, often made comparison with the CC, that you cannot select a pitch on a C&CC Site – again, not so. We’d booked a grass pitch. On arrival, as it had been raining, we were offered a switch to a hard standing. But as our Daughter was joining us with her tent, we elected to stick with the grass. Whereupon the Warden said, “In that case I can offer you a choice of 3 available, with EHU. One in particular has lovely views. Have a look.” We did, and we chose the one with views.

We have not camped on a Club Site in High Season for a VERY long time. This last week has been very pleasant indeed. Thankfully.

Cheers

Gwen

Well Gwen I am delighted you enjoyed your holiday. I am afraid I take all the negativity about sites with a large pinch of salt and trust my own experiences all of which like your own have been positive. I often wonder if it is a specific type of camper that always finds these terrible sites and consider they should ask "why me" which may be the answer.

I frequently pass a CC site and my impression is that it very much underused this year so possibly getting a pitch of choice is easier.

Soon be off and whatever I will enjoy.

There is of course nothing wrong with sites - well most sites anyway - and only a fool would seriously knock it - that is not to say that a certain amount of winding up does not go on!

Like all things sites do vary and even within the same organisation variations of attitude, facilities, site fees, and presentation exists.

For a relaxing break for as long as you like in one place I still reckon that you can't beat a car and caravan combination so for all those who simply love the understandable feeling of security and well being that a good site can instill - long may you continue to enjoy.

Tracker - 2013-08-11 6:51 PM

For a relaxing break for as long as you like in one place I still reckon that you can't beat a car and caravan combination ...

Actually I omitted to say, that we were in our caravan this trip. I’m getting so used to motorhoming that I sometimes forget we used the caravan….oh dear! Suppose I shouldn’t have posted it here! But I was thinking of that previous debate.

Anyway, reason was, DD and I were seeing 5 plays in the Royal Shakespeare / Swan Theatres over 4 days.

O/H was not – well he did in the end come to 1 with us.

So, if I drove the Motorhome to park up in Stratford [nightmare this time of year], what would he do? Sit in van? Sit on pitch in deck chair hoping it wouldn’t rain?????

Caravan definitely the better option in that scenario.

[Did try to book into one of my usual hotels but at £200 per night for a room, high season…. had to think of how many tunnel / ferry crossing that would buy!]

Gwen

Still A Tugger Too – although sometimes forget that I am

So you went to a site near Stratford? This would indicate a site not popular with families so not likely to be full during school holidays. We went to Oxford site a couple of months back, last minute phone up to ensure they had room and off we went, on arrival the site was fairly full, warden said we could park on 'layby' near tent area if we wanted a hardstanding or further round there where other grass pitches, and we where just left to find whatever pitch we wanted that was empty. Had a similier experiance in Cornwall week leading up to easter, in this case it was almost empty site, warden just said, "there's hardstandings at top and bottom of field, choose what you want", IMO this is how it should be, but we've also had some bad experiances of little hitlers on club sites which is why we rarely use them and only join for the CS's.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-11 6:35 PM

Well Gwen I am delighted you enjoyed your holiday. I am afraid I take all the negativity about sites with a large pinch of salt and trust my own experiences all of which like your own have been positive. I often wonder if it is a specific type of camper that always finds these terrible sites and consider they should ask "why me" which may be the answer.

I frequently pass a CC site and my impression is that it very much underused this year so possibly getting a pitch of choice is easier.

I agree entirely with this and their is a certain type of camper who finds all sites terrible. They are the ones who keep their wallets firmly zipped up and park up for the night in laybys, they try and glamorise this by calling it 'wild camping'. We have just returned from just over three weeks in Scotland, mainly on the Outer Hebrides and Skye. On the way up and back we used three different club sites all very good and none full. Two were a C & CC sites, one at Moffat, used twice, and one on Skye, on both we were shown to a pitch but offered others, nothing wrong with that. We also used the CC site at Oban, here we were allocated a pitch, never had that before on a CC site but again nothing wrong with it and they did say if it was not suitable we could change. Weather was pretty good and no problems with parking when we needed to, still fail to see how some have so many problems touring in the UK. We are off to France in September and doubt any campsites/aires will be any better or touring will be any easier than in the UK.

To answer Colin – the site was a 40 minute drive from Stratford, out in the Cotswolds. A good location: Stratford in August = hell on earth.

So when the hurly burly was done, it was good to drive back to the peace of the site.

And even after evening performances it was an OK journey. When I lived in Somerset I’d often drive home [2 ½ hours] after an evening performance. 40 minutes was a doddle in comparison.

This was an occasion which I categorize as ‘camping for a reason’; not as an end in itself. If you get the drift....

Having been members of one Club for 28 years, and the other for slightly fewer, in truth, I cannot find much about which to complain. Well... not often..

Gwen

rupert123 - 2013-08-11 10:12 PM

I agree entirely with this and their is a certain type of camper who finds all sites terrible. They are the ones who keep their wallets firmly zipped up and park up for the night in laybys, they try and glamorise this by calling it 'wild camping'. We have just returned from just over three weeks in Scotland, mainly on the Outer Hebrides and Skye. On the way up and back we used three different club sites all very good and none full. Two were a C & CC sites, one at Moffat, used twice, and one on Skye, on both we were shown to a pitch but offered others, nothing wrong with that. We also used the CC site at Oban, here we were allocated a pitch, never had that before on a CC site but again nothing wrong with it and they did say if it was not suitable we could change. Weather was pretty good and no problems with parking when we needed to, still fail to see how some have so many problems touring in the UK. We are off to France in September and doubt any campsites/aires will be any better or touring will be any easier than in the UK.

Please keep me out of your postings you obnoxious little man.

Hey guys… didn’t want to start a spat. All ways are good ways if they suit …

Just wanted to report that a week on a Club site during High Season was not a horrific experience. We were there for a reason, and it worked for that reason. Thassorl!

Pax, and fingers crossed?

Gwen

Once stayed on a small CC site on our way up to Scotland, I can't remember where. Warden reminded one of Basil Fawlty our of Fawlty towers and his wife reminded us of his wife Sybil.

He kept jumping out of his little hut picking on every possible infringement shortly followed by his wife apologising for him and telling everyone to ignore him. Nobody took any notice of him and we all tended to compare notes. I was like living in a real live episode of Faulty Towers and great fun.

Colin Leake - 2013-08-12 3:48 PM

Once stayed on a small CC site on our way up to Scotland, I can't remember where. Warden reminded one of Basil Fawlty our of Fawlty towers and his wife reminded us of his wife Sybil.

He kept jumping out of his little hut picking on every possible infringement shortly followed by his wife apologising for him and telling everyone to ignore him. Nobody took any notice of him and we all tended to compare notes. I was like living in a real live episode of Faulty Towers and great fun.

That sounds great!! You must let me know where... I love that sort of entertainment (lol)

sean.clarke - 2013-08-12 5:38 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-08-12 3:48 PM

That sounds great!! You must let me know where... I love that sort of entertainment (lol)

Best I can do is tell you it was somewhere between Watford Gap and Scotland. Mind you it was some years ago and I doubt the warden in question is still there. Some spoil sport will have no doubt complained to the club about him.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-11 10:50 PM

rupert123 - 2013-08-11 10:12 PM

Please keep me out of your postings you obnoxious little man.

No sorry cannot do, if you post on a public forum you must accept anyone has a right of reply. Was agreeing with what you said but as you are obviously far to stupid to work out why their is a specific camper who does not use them just gave you one possible answer. It may not apply to all but is certainly the main reason for a lot. What gets me is why they just cannot say so rather than all the stuff they come out with, after all nothing wrong with trying to save money.

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-11 10:52 PM

Hey guys… didn’t want to start a spat. All ways are good ways if they suit …

Just wanted to report that a week on a Club site during High Season was not a horrific experience. We were there for a reason, and it worked for that reason. Thassorl!

Pax, and fingers crossed?

Gwen

No problem with me Gwen, I just wonder why some get so worked up, it is only an opinion after all. I try to avoid personal insults but will reply in kind if someone else starts it, some seem unable to make any other reply if they do not agree.

Not sure what it about anything to do with choices of where to camp [using the word in its all embracing sense] that gives rise to such heated argument. Be it:

- Clubs: A positive loathing of the concept or CC fans v C&CC fans

- Sites v Aires v Wild camping debates

But there again, things get a bit heated [although with slightly less venom? more ‘tongue in cheek?] when the Motorhoming v Tugging and PVC v Coach built topics come up.

For a bunch of people who lead this laid back life style, we can be a pretty fired up and stressed lot!!!

Cheers

Gwen

[Feeling very unstressed today as I’ve just ordered a load of books ready for our next trip in September, and am now about to exchange Tesco Vouchers for Tunnel Tokens.]

I have done ALL types of camping and on all types of site including Aires and free locations. I have even been a campsite manager. If you want to complain about campsite wardens,of which there are some absolute horrors the same goes for campers and caravaners. The funniest who complain to me about the bad weather and the beaches. one even complained that the tide was in when they went,

I used to post the tide times and weather forecast daily on the notice board,with other information. Some become quite upset when it was pointed out to them.

Like this site,it takes all sorts some good and some I could quite cheerfully strangle!

Archived