Worst coastal resort in Britain

antony1969

Reading yesterday about Margate and Rhyl are they really the worst seaside resorts in Britain . I would have to say my personal worst has to be Blackpool , dirty , seedy and full of drunks . Favourite has to be Woolacombe , Devon .

Any thoughts on coastal resorts to avoid and why ?

Guest pelmetman

Blackpool does seem to attract a lot of dossers........................

I much prefer Weymouth...............or Traffic lights on sea as its now known since the Olympic's *-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-08-12 12:11 PM

Nowt on east coast to excite you Dave ? Grimsby ?

We're 10mins from the sea at Chapel St Leonards, and have Skeg just down the road, which is kinda kitsch now days :D............. you can admire the windfarm whilst you sunbathe *-).........further afield we like Whitby B-)..... and the places along coast road around the top of Norfolk are nice though the road is tight in places ;-)...............

Although this time of year we tend to turn right and head up into the Wolds ;-)

Hunstanton - the only resort on the East coast where you can watch the sun set - is a very pleasant town but like all such places gets a bit manic for 6 weeks and BHs.

Wells next the Sea is an interesting small seaside town, as are Cromer and Sheringham.

Fleetwood we didn't warm too but that was a few years back and it may have changed.

Grimsby is aptly named!

antony1969 - 2013-08-12 9:03 AM

Reading yesterday about Margate and Rhyl are they really the worst seaside resorts in Britain . I would have to say my personal worst has to be Blackpool , dirty , seedy and full of drunks . Favourite has to be Woolacombe , Devon .

Not exactly a resort I know, I once mistyped the u in Hull with an e into my Satnav.

It still took me there.

Joking honestly.

Retread24800 - 2013-08-12 2:10 PMIlfracombe, full of Scouse layabouts, and generally seedy, when one of your politicians was talking about decay and quoted Blackpool as being full of cheap B&B or claimants castles I thought , typical never been to the South West and as for that Hurst Monstrosity.................

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2004/08/ilfracombe-devon/

Have to say your right about Ilfracombe , a once great destination left to rot . Same as a lot of seaside towns with money pumped in it could be great again . Wetherspoons or one of the other big pub chains are planning on building a brand new big family pub near the front so maybe they know something we don't . Maybe some EU millions heading for Devon ?

pkc - 2013-08-12 1:42 PM

antony1969 - 2013-08-12 9:03 AM

Not exactly a resort I know, I once mistyped the u in Hull with an e into my Satnav.

It still took me there.

Joking honestly.

That's an awful long way out of your way.

I did actually go to Hell once - it's in Norway - not far from Trondheim.

( Honestly )

;-)

Tracker - 2013-08-12 1:04 PM

Hunstanton - the only resort on the East coast where you can watch the sun set - is a very pleasant town but like all such places gets a bit manic for 6 weeks and BHs.

Wells next the Sea is an interesting small seaside town, as are Cromer and Sheringham.

Fleetwood we didn't warm too but that was a few years back and it may have changed.

Grimsby is aptly named!

I'm with you there Tracker. They don't call Cromer The Gem of the Norfolk Coast for nothing. Fact is its far and away the best in the UK. You should try the ice cream from the shop just near the RNLI museum and for that matter visit the museum. It's maned by the wives of the lifeboat crew and they are a font of information.

Did I mention that I was born and lived for a long time in Cromer?

By the way you'll find Leakes Caravan Site in near by East Runton. Still bears our name but is no longer owned by the family.

Rhyl has got to be my least favourite, many many years ago we (Mr Donna and Me) were delivering Christmas trees for B&Q all over Wales. We decided to book into a B&B one night as we were fed up with sleeping in the cab.

We found a B&B on the front and booked in, the owner then told us he wasn't putting the heating on for just one night and that it was an extra fiver on top of the advertised price because we were having a "sea view" room...........It was the middle of December and that foggy you couldn't see the road out front never mind the sea. :D :D

As expected we turned straight round and found somewhere else.

pkc - 2013-08-12 3:49 PM

Went to Southport on CCC holiday site couple of years ago, quite pleasant town, but it's a hull of a walk to the sea sometimes.

Your right it is a pleasant town , I'm not the greatest shopper in the world but even I coped with half an hour shopping .

Only downside without sounding snobby is the great big Butlins/Pontins site , not for me but others obviously enjoy it .

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-08-12 6:53 PM

Another east coast beauty is Robin Hoods Bay , if your a bit geeky and take a hammer to crack open a few rocks it's a fossil hunters paradise .

I cracked one open and found scribbled " Tracker Waz Ere " fossilised inside , he really is that old .

That's one of his old postcards to another of Chatterbox Neanderthals ;-).................back in the days when Neanderthals were.................Neanderthals :D

antony1969 - 2013-08-12 3:11 PM
Retread24800 - 2013-08-12 2:10 PMIlfracombe, full of Scouse layabouts, and generally seedy, when one of your politicians was talking about decay and quoted Blackpool as being full of cheap B&B or claimants castles I thought , typical never been to the South West and as for that Hurst Monstrosity.................

Have to say your right about Ilfracombe , a once great destination left to rot . Same as a lot of seaside towns with money pumped in it could be great again . Wetherspoons or one of the other big pub chains are planning on building a brand new big family pub near the front so maybe they know something we don't . Maybe some EU millions heading for Devon ?
It was rumoured, some years ago, that Jamie Oliver was going to open some restaurants in Ilfracombe and do what Rick Stein did for Padstow. Now would that have improved matters? I recall reading an article urging people to buy property ‘now’, before the Jamie Oliver boom takes off. Never happened then?Agree though, it has the makings of a lovely town with a bit of dosh spent on it.See this:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/nov/14/lets-move-to-ilfracombe-devon?INTCMP=SRCH

pelmetman - 2013-08-12 6:57 PM

That's one of his old postcards to another of Chatterbox Neanderthals ;-).................back in the days when Neanderthals were.................Neanderthals :D

It is a testament to modern medicine that you can remember that far back Dave!

Ouch - there goes another knuckle - must learn to stand upright!

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-12 8:01 PM

It was rumoured, some years ago, that Jamie Oliver was going to open some restaurants in Ilfracombe and do what Rick Stein did for Padstow. Now would that have improved matters? I recall reading an article urging people to buy property ‘now’, before the Jamie Oliver boom takes off. Never happened then?Agree though, it has the makings of a lovely town with a bit of dosh spent on it.See this:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/nov/14/lets-move-to-ilfracombe-devon?INTCMP=SRCH

Well I read the bit from the Guardian and didn't recognise the place, as one of the comments noted in the 80's there was a downturn in the local economy, Hotels were going belly up and the hotelliers invented dole tourism, so after advertising Ilfracombes' attractions, cheap B&B's, no employment oportunities only 3 plod, etc. in the press the town was filled with new residents, Alkies, druggies, and the work-shy, lots of rumours about regeneration but nothing happened after the three Bra cups (have a look at the sea front and guess ;-) ) Damien Hurst opened a restaurant on the quay, and donated a statue of a partially disembowelled pregnant woman..Must have used one of the local single Mum's as inspiration for that, Jamie Oliver, the Cross Bristol Channel Ferry all came and died in the wilderness.

Retread24800 - 2013-08-12 7:21 PM
Gwendolyn - 2013-08-12 8:01 PM

Well I read the bit from the Guardian and didn't recognise the place, as one of the comments noted in the 80's there was a downturn in the local economy, Hotels were going belly up and the hotelliers invented dole tourism, so after advertising Ilfracombes' attractions, cheap B&B's, no employment oportunities only 3 plod, etc. in the press the town was filled with new residents, Alkies, druggies, and the work-shy, lots of rumours about regeneration but nothing happened after the three Bra cups (have a look at the sea front and guess ;-) ) Damien Hurst opened a restaurant on the quay, and donated a statue of a partially disembowelled pregnant woman..Must have used one of the local single Mum's as inspiration for that, Jamie Oliver, the Cross Bristol Channel Ferry all came and died in the wilderness.

That Hurst statue is horrendous , better suited to outside a hospital / university somewhere than its location in Ilfracombe .The thing with Ilfracombe is that the tourists are already in the area in Woolacombe less than five minutes away so if the local council were brave enough to invest in the area I'm sure the tourists would go back to Ilfracombe .

Archived