Headlamp beam delflectors

Archiesgrandad

I am in the final stages on preparing the newly aquired motorhome for the annual three weeks in France and I went to Halfords to buy some beam deflectors and was not impressed by the cost. Back in the good old days I used to use a couple of bits of strategically placed masking tape which seemed to do the job fine. Can I still get away with it?

AGD

Because the modern headlights are made of a plastic type of medium sticky black tape is not recommended as it can cause a heat build up .Modern beam deflecters have a foil backing to reflect the heat . I must admit in the 7 years of touring France I have never fitted any and have not seen many GB motorhomes with any either. You could always try  e bay.

I have deflectors that will be over 5 years old and just push them back on and they miraculously are still there. I have also used duct tape which is just as effective.

I see many GB vehicle in France which do not have deflectors fitted but it only needs one officious gendarme. Similarly as my MH weight is over 3500 kg I have speed stickers fitted to the rear and if you see them fitted they are very much a rarity.

Never ceases to amaze me how anyone can happily pay anywhere between £10,000 and £150,000 for a Motorhome then quibble over buying or using beam deflectors.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the architect of an accident simply because I "didn't bother" so invested in headlight protectors that clip on and off and keep them just for foreign travel with the proper areas masked off.

David

Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-12 11:14 PM

I am in the final stages on preparing the newly aquired motorhome for the annual three weeks in France and I went to Halfords to buy some beam deflectors and was not impressed by the cost. Back in the good old days I used to use a couple of bits of strategically placed masking tape which seemed to do the job fine. Can I still get away with it?

AGD

The answer to BIB is yes you can.

However, the countries I drive in require full headlights all the time and last year I found the heat eventually softens the masking tape which then starts peeling away.

This year I bought some Eurolite beam adaptors......unfortunately off the Ferry which is the worst place anyone can buy anything (cost me £6.50!). You can get the identical off eBay for £3.44.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EUROLITES-HEADLAMP-BEAM-ADAPTORS-HEAD-LIGHT-CONVERTERS-/281072724947?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item41713d6bd3

I would definitely recommend them as mine have stayed on for three months.

As for the fifty quid jobs.........hmmmmmmm..........that would buy you fifteen sets of Eurolite adaptors. Fifteen years of continental touring! (lol)

Rayjsj - 2013-08-13 10:37 AM

AND I have never seen a European registered van over here with Deflectors on, and have been dazzled a few times by them. Seems this another one of those Laws that everyone ignores (except us). Why Bother ?

Ray

Because they just "aren't British" Ray! It's only us fusspots who mither about such nonsense!

Never mind foreign registered MH's.......how many foreign registered HGV's do you see in the UK with these daft deflectors?

None!!

Never mind foreign registered MH's.......how many foreign registered HGV's do you see in the UK with these daft deflectors?

None!!

Most HGV (all modern ones) have left/right adjustable headlamps, so don't need bits of sticky tape on the lenses.

Bulletguy - 2013-08-13 6:03 PM

As for the fifty quid jobs.........hmmmmmmm..........that would buy you fifteen sets of Eurolite adaptors. Fifteen years of continental touring! (lol)

I think the adhesive can damage the plastic headlamp, like the discussion of crazed window thread. I was at Bilbos last week and they said that they got trade-in vans with this problem.

Muswell - 2013-08-13 7:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-08-13 6:03 PM

I think the adhesive can damage the plastic headlamp, like the discussion of crazed window thread. I was at Bilbos last week and they said that they got trade-in vans with this problem.

Yes it was a sad day when glass headlight units got replaced by flimsy pieces of plastic crap. And you would imagine they would cost far less than glass but oh no.......they tripled in price! Also with the good 'old fashioned' glass lenses you could easily pick one up for a fiver from your local scrappy. :D

spospe - 2013-08-13 6:10 PM

None!!

Most HGV (all modern ones) have left/right adjustable headlamps, so don't need bits of sticky tape on the lenses.

You would think it simple enough to fit to any modern day car/van etc then wouldn't you? My son has an Audi and when he was based in Germany in order for his car to meet with the German TUV test requirements his car had to be fitted with L/H drive units.

I must admit to being curious as to how something as simple as a switch can change RH to LH as the beam direction is determined by the unit pattern.

Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-13 12:18 PM

Many thanks to one and all. I shan't bother then.

AGD

A point to consider, is that according to notices at all the check-in booths at the Dover ferry terminal, headlamp adaptors are a legal requirement. The presence, or absence of the adaptors is visually obvious to everyone looking at your vehicle.

The French (and Germans etc.) expect us to comply with their laws and we expect them to comply with ours when they are over here. Saying that they do not, so why should we, is no defence.

Rayjsj - 2013-08-13 10:37 AM

AND I have never seen a European registered van over here with Deflectors on, and have been dazzled a few times by them. Seems this another one of those Laws that everyone ignores (except us). Why Bother ? Ray

On my German-built motorhome, the beams are deflected by a flick of a switch, so no plastic is required. I don't know how many others this applies to but it could explain why you don't see deflectors on some vans.

spospe - 2013-08-13 10:19 PM

A point to consider, is that according to notices at all the check-in booths at the Dover ferry terminal, headlamp adaptors are a legal requirement. The presence, or absence of the adaptors is visually obvious to everyone looking at your vehicle.

As are GB stickers, breathalyser kits, first aid kits, warning triangles, hi-viz vests etc etc.

I've seen plenty of UK reg vehicles with no GB sticker on though admittedly most now have them on the number plates. As for the rest of the paraphernalia......who checks?

Nobody!

But it's a good bit of sales marketing by the Ferry companies as all these things are sold on board......at ludicrous prices! They know how compliant us brits are and an easy target for scare mongering. :D

John 47 - 2013-08-14 10:23 AM

On my German-built motorhome, the beams are deflected by a flick of a switch, so no plastic is required. I don't know how many others this applies to but it could explain why you don't see deflectors on some vans.

This is what i'm curious about John.

A bulb is simply a bulb which gives off light. It's the lens pattern which determines the beam direction and not the bulb. The lens is a permanent fixture and cannot be changed "by the flick of a switch".........so I wonder exactly how it is done?

I have a beam adjuster switch on my van.....but that's simply for up and down, not from left to right.

Bulletguy - 2013-08-14 12:37 PM

As are GB stickers, breathalyser kits, first aid kits, warning triangles, hi-viz vests etc etc.

I've seen plenty of UK reg vehicles with no GB sticker on though admittedly most now have them on the number plates. As for the rest of the paraphernalia......who checks?

Nobody!

Are you saying that as long as no one checks it is OK to act as you wish in all matters?

• 2 weeks later...
spospe - 2013-08-14 1:06 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-08-14 12:37 PM

Nobody!

Are you saying that as long as no one checks it is OK to act as you wish in all matters?

I rest my case.

David

John 47 - 2013-08-14 10:23 AM

Are you saying that your (unspecified make/model) German-built motorhome has a dashboard-mounted switch that allows its headlamps' dipped-beam pattern to be modified?

There are headlight-units that include a mechanism that allows the dipped-beam pattern to be altered to prevent dazzle when the vehicle is 'driven abroad', but I'm not aware (at least with motorhomes) that this mechanism can be operated remotely.

The rear part of older Hella dipped-beam lamps could be moved to modify the beam-pattern: newer Hella units (where the dipped-beam pattern is produced by an internal moving 'shield') can have a lever that alters the shield position. In the latter case, the pattern is not changed from left-dipping to right-dipping (or vice versa for non-UK-norm lights), it just has the dipped-beam pattern's 'kick-up' portion masked.

Of course many vehicles have a dashboard-mounted control that allows the angle of the dipped-beam to be adjusted to deal with loading variations, but that doesn't alter the shape of the dipped-beam pattern.

When I take my Citroen C3 car to France I fit beam deflectors but find them very difficult to remove..

My 2001 Ducato based motorhome has an up/down switch which is left permanently in the down position. I have never, ever, been flashed when abroad unless I unintentionally forget to dip my headlights to oncoming traffic. There may always be a first time so I carry a packet of covers with me in case. Having said that I find them very difficult to position correctly on my car anyway.

Archived