spanish laws

macclad

I've just looked on the El Mundo website and it seems from an article there that this is under review and congress will decide by October or November whether helmets should be obligatory in towns. There is a big argument over this and some are saying it only should only be a recommendation. A google search comes up with other articles around the same date in May but nothing since.

Tracker - 2013-08-13 10:03 PM

The one to ask is Bruce - BGD - as he lives in Spain and is conversant with much Spanish law and custom - but he does not come on here now unfortunately.

However I understand that he is on the Motorhome Fun forum if that helps

BGD's Profile shows that he last logged on to the Out&AboutLive forums on 2013-08-14 12:07 AM. From where did you get the idea that "...he does not come on here now unfortunately"?

Hemet laws by country are listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country

More up-to-date information specific to Spain can be found here:

http://road.cc/content/news/77554-spain-set-make-bike-helmets-compulsory-amid-law-reform-designed-push-cyclists

Evidently there is a move to make hemets compulsory for all cyclists at all times while they are riding in Spain, but the relevant paragraph regarding the present position says:

"Currently, under a law implemented in 2004 but reportedly seldom enforced, cyclists in Spain have to wear helmets while riding in non-urban areas unless the weather is too hot or they are going uphill. A law that required all cyclists to wear a helmet at all times would presumably be more strictly enforced."

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-14 9:00 AM

BGD's Profile shows that he last logged on to the Out&AboutLive forums on 2013-08-14 12:07 AM. From where did you get the idea that "...he does not come on here now unfortunately"?

"

Logged on and contributing are not the same.

Tracker - 2013-08-14 9:20 AM

"

Anyone logging on to this forum has the potential to contribute to discussions, so it's ridiculous to suggest that someone who logged on at 12.07am today (but chose not to post) did not "come on here".

BGD posted (twice) on Saturday August 10. Is that so far in the past that he must be now considered an inactive user? Next thing you'll be suggesting is that "Saturday" and "now" are not the same!

(It may well be that, since last Saturday, BGD has decided never again to take an active part in this forum's discussions and that you are aware of his decision. But, if that were the case, I don't think you'd be quibbling over semantic niceties.)

Derek I really can't be doing with all this pedantry.

The simple fact is that the member best suited to talk about Spanish law is BGD and he is currently not posting on here, but may be active elsewhere.

I would suggest that Saturday and Wednesday are indeed different days - ask the Australian cricket team - and I would respectfully point out that it is you not I who is choosing to quibble over semantic niceties - whatever they are!

The one to ask is Bruce - BGD - as he lives in Spain and is conversant with much Spanish law and custom - but he does not come on here now unfortunately.

OK, if he's not here, he's not logged on. I understand.

BGD's Profile shows that he last logged on to the Out&AboutLive forums on 2013-08-14 12:07 AM. From where did you get the idea that "...he does not come on here now unfortunately?

Oh, an error made, he does log on so he must be on here.

Tracker - 2013-08-14 9:20 AM

What has this to do with him being here. (?) :-S

If he's logged on and contributing then he's here. If he's logged on and not contributing to the thread then he's still here.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-14 1:25 PM

Anyone logging on to this forum has the potential to contribute to discussions, so it's ridiculous to suggest that someone who logged on at 12.07am today (but chose not to post) did not "come on here".

QUOTE]

Yes, I'm with it. I agree.

Tracker - 2013-08-14 2:16 PM

... The simple fact is that the member best suited to talk about Spanish law is BGD and he is currently not posting on here, but may be active elsewhere.

Ahh! The elusive missing word from the original Tracker posting. ' ... posting'.

Sometimes I like being pedantic.

Tin Man - 2013-08-14 3:07 PM

Ahh! The elusive missing word from the original Tracker posting. ' ... posting'.

Sometimes I like being pedantic.

(lol) Thanks for that - next time I log on without posting I will try to remember to say that I'm not posting!

Carry on the good work and keep yer joints well oiled John!

However I understand that he is on the Motorhome Fun forum if that helps

While I reckon Rich may be correct here he has posted on this at MHF. He states 'cyclists under 18 must wear helmets at all times, over 18 outside of towns and city only.'

Don't know the answer to the OP but I will comment on the 'spat' over logged on/on here/not on here.  I am usually logged on from morning to night because my computer is set to do so once I fire it up in the morning.  However just because I am logged in it does not mean 'I am here' in any form of active capacity all that time.........i.e not posting, not reading.

Please folks lets play nicely.  it's been pretty good of late so lets not spoil it by being nit picking/pedantic or whatever other description rocks your boat.

RogerC - 2013-08-14 7:06 PM  I am usually logged on from morning to night because my computer is set to do so once I fire it up in the morning.  However just because I am logged in it does not mean 'I am here' in any form of active capacity all that time.........i.e not posting, not reading.

Please folks lets play nicely.  it's been pretty good of late so lets not spoil it by being nit picking/pedantic or whatever other description rocks your boat.

Me too Roger, once on I tend to leave it on all day whilst I go about the monumental task of maintaining the vast acreage of Tracker Towers, but when it's very warm I do tend to come in for a breather to my air conditioned study more often for a cold beverage from the wide range of cooled drinks in the chilled out cabinet!

Glad I didn't log on today or post a reply!

Saved me some grief

WEAR A HELMET ALWAYS, would have been my response had I bothered to log on and post.

What a load of old rubbish we now have to out up with. Or don't should we decide not to read it.

Sad

Having holiday'd regularly in Murcia I can state, unless the Law has changed in the last 6 weeks, that helmets are not mandatory. As for wearing one it is all dependent on what you define as your cycling style. If you are merely pottering around the site, along the promenade or down the lane to the local shops then it is not really a 'showdown' clause. If however your style is cycling 30 km per trip on main roads then I would agree every thing that protects you is desirable.

In the area where we stay I would estimate 50% do not wear them and these are all nationalities, even the Spanish. Those that do tend to have all the clobber and very big mountain bike things.

Having grown up as a child when I was never off a bike but helmets were unheard off, I can honestly state that there was no spate of deaths as a result of not wearing a helmet. If you were hit by a car then you were usually dead whatever way you looked at it. I do agree that speeds and traffic density nowadays have grown vastly, and as a result I do not cycle here in the UK unless on a dedicated track. To my mind it is not a very comfortable experience fighting it out with trucks, cars and buses.

However my wife and I are looking into getting battery bikes as the old legs are not what they used to be and in this case we will get helmets as we will wander further afield.

Putting to one side the advisablity of wearing a helmet while cycling and ignoring whether or not Spanish cycle-helmet-wearing regulations are enforced strictly, the current law is (in principle) straightforward. The scope of the regulations is easily established via GOOGLE and summarised here:

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1076.html

The relevant extract is

"Introduction and scope

The Spanish helmet law came into effect from 23rd January 2004. It applies to bicycle riders of all ages. However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists.

A fine of up to EUR90 can be imposed for not wearing a helmet.

In October 2010 the City of Madrid required passengers travelling in bike trailers to wear a helmet."

(The sentence "It applies to bicycle riders of all ages" should be noted.)

There are also several long on-line reports that discuss the impact of the 2004 law and the 'looseness' of its wording (eg. What constitutes extreme heat and/or a steep hill?)

As I mentioned in my first posting, there have been controversial proposals to strengthen the existing law. Apparently these proposals have now been softened somewhat.

According to a July 26 article in "Ciclismo Urbano", the current law that makes hemet-wearing mandatory ONLY on inter-urban roads - for both children and adults - would be amended to make helmet-wearing obligatory for anyone (including passengers on bikes) aged under-18 cycling on inter-urban AND urban roads. For cyclists aged over-18 the present law would remain unchanged.

There's clearly a lot of opposition to the proposed changes, so it's anyone's guess what (if anything) will happen.

I think that I recall a report a few months ago by some quasi government style lot to the effect that whilst it would certainly be beneficial for all cyclists to wear a suitable helmet, the reality is that current helmets are not actually strong enough to protect an adult who comes to grief, and may only impart a false sense of security. Makes you wonder about the loonies that fasten cameras and lights to their helmets to ensure that there is a sharp point impact to the head if they fall off.

AGD

It is likely that if one is involved in a cycling accident then one of the first questions posed is "were you wearing a helmet?"

As if this mantra would stop arms legs etc. being broken!

The specification for cycling helmets is limited to the cyclist falling to the ground, (not normally a great distance), it does not provide enough protection for example when hit by a motor vehicle, that would require the strength/weight of a motorcycle helmet.

Having said that I always use a helmet as it will mitigate some of the impact.

Archived