Still using Aldi/Lidl washing tablets?

Tea Cup

Thanks for all those replies, most helpful. Couldn't reply b4 cos I couldn't get a signal at Malvern.

I'll try the various options, I was wondering if there is any long-term damage to the seals or plastic, but of course the machines that the tablets/liquid are used in have similar seals, so why would there be any damage?

Isn't it interesting how such a simple posting causes bickering? Ah well ...

Mornin' TC..

We switched to using a "splosh" of supermarket own brand bio-washing liquid a few years back and haven't experienced any problems with seals etc (..if anything it seems to keep the cassette cleaner, with none of that blue staining..and it smells far better that the "proper" chemicals, both during use and when emptying..).

As for the "bio" aspect affecting sceptic tanks, although that is true enough, prior to switching I did a lengthy "Google" and came across loads of info' that stated that in the concentrations that we are talking of here, it shouldn't really cause any problem....

Well 747, thanks for your reply, I was vaguely aware of the care that must be taken with formaldehyde but I must confess your post has frightened me a bit and I shall be very careful with this stuff so thanks again, and once it's finished I will change to a more environmentally friendly solution. *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
jocie - 2013-08-20 9:28 AM

Well 747, thanks for your reply, I was vaguely aware of the care that must be taken with formaldehyde but I must confess your post has frightened me a bit and I shall be very careful with this stuff so thanks again, and once it's finished I will change to a more environmentally friendly solution. *-)

I'd move out your house if I was you, and a lot more places as well, we are surrounded by the stuff.

The EPA recommends the use of “exterior-grade” pressed-wood products to limit formaldehyde exposure in the home. These products emit less formaldehyde because they contain phenol resins, not urea resins. (Pressed-wood products include plywood, paneling, particleboard, and fiberboard and are not the same as pressure-treated wood products, which contain chemical preservatives and are intended for outdoor use.) Before purchasing pressed-wood products, including building materials, cabinetry, and furniture, buyers should ask about the formaldehyde content of these products. Formaldehyde levels in homes can also be reduced by ensuring adequate ventilation, moderate temperatures, and reduced humidity levels through the use of air conditioners and dehumidifiers.

Tea Cup - 2013-08-20 8:50 AM

Thanks for all those replies, most helpful. Couldn't reply b4 cos I couldn't get a signal at Malvern.

I'll try the various options, I was wondering if there is any long-term damage to the seals or plastic, but of course the machines that the tablets/liquid are used in have similar seals, so why would there be any damage?

Did you make a decision on what to use?

We use the Bio washing liquid, I wouldn't be happy using tabs as you need hot water to dissolve them properly, cold water is used to dispel soap suds when used for washing clothes. I know what a mess undissolved washing tabs make in my dishwasher sticking to the bottom of the machine *-) lord knows what kind of a mess could stick to them in a cassette.

Started using Lidl's Formil Bio concentrate a few years ago. I remember it being described as 'double concentrate', and it was a blue colour with a 'thickish' consistency. The single concentrate was pale green and not as heavy consistency.

Several months ago, I bought more of the double concentrate. It's now green, and appears to be the same as the old single concentrate. Are we being diddled ?

Allen

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-08-27 7:12 PM

Has anyone every used dishwasher tablets instead? Any problems with these?

I can only think they are designed to dissolve in hot water, but I'm convinced the hot water does most of the work in any event in our dishwasher. ;-)

I once went to talk to our neighbours and was invited in for a drink. After a bit they suggested my wife should join us, which she did. After a while I became conscious of a bleeping noise and asked what it was, to which they replied that it was coming through the party wall. It's amazing what happens when you boil eggs for too long.

crbtaylor - 2013-08-26 12:36 PM

Tea Cup - 2013-08-20 8:50 AM

Did you make a decision on what to use?

Yes, we will be using the sachets.

Do you just use water in the flush tank?

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-05 9:49 AM

I do think that holding tank management regimes reveal a great deal.

Who'd have though that managing sh*t in a plastic bucket would be such a powerful indicator of intelligence and morality.[/quote

explain i left school at 14,

Archived