Advice for a newbie

candapack

Picking up a used van soon. Our first MH.

Should I expect it to come with things like an EHU, leisure battery, gas bottle (s) etc.

Our last caravan came with none of these, but that was new. I can't remember what happened with our last used caravan.

And please nobody say I should have negotiated all this with the price, it just never occurred to me.

You will be very lucky to get any extras with the van but if you ask the seller nicely they might be able to find you some to get you started.

A leisure battery is part of the van and should not only be present but should be of satisfactory performance so do be sure to check that it charges and holds it's charge.

A good source for bits is the for sale sections of magazines and forums like this one and of course, ebay!

Don't be afraid to ask when you get a problem you can't quite resolve as there are some real clever clogs on 'ere and nobody will think you are daft - well not all of us anyway!

candapack - 2013-08-19 3:34 PM

Picking up a used van soon. Our first MH.

Should I expect it to come with things like an EHU, leisure battery, gas bottle (s) etc.

Our last caravan came with none of these, but that was new. I can't remember what happened with our last used caravan.

And please nobody say I should have negotiated all this with the price, it just never occurred to me.

Hi Canda

I would have thought you should get at least one gas bottle, how else can you check if it all works?

I guess depends whether it is a private or dealer sale? I would definaitley ask for at least 1 bottle

Good luck with your new van, and hope you get a lot of pleasure out of it. Do let us know how you get on

PJay

I agree with the other two, Canda -- should have a decent leisure battery and at least one gas bottle . If you are buying your first (secondhand) 'van from a dealer, as we did, 3 years ago, they offered us a 'starter pack' (which we had to pay for) including EHU, plus a few other 'neccessaries' (loo fluid(s), upholstery cleaner, etc.) which, on reflection,most of them we could probably have done without! Now that we are changing models,we will take our gas bottles and EHU with us -- so the next purchaser will need to get them -- I think that my dealer will supply a bottle or two , but not the EHU. If yours is a private sale, none of this applies and you'll have to haggle!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. I hope that you get as much enjoyment out of your 'pride & joy' as we have done!

C.

Another good place to pick up accessories is a Motorhome Show where good competitive prices can often be found with the benefit of seeing what you are buying and no carriage charges - just the cost of the show entry.

Be warned though as you will probably end up also buying loadsa stuff you didn't know you needed!

Archived