Our first trip was Successful !!!!

ChrissyG

I was on the forum a few weeks ago asking advice about possibily buying a MH. We hired a Tribute 620 last week and had a hoot !

I though I had read the books, magazines etc and was armed with enough info to get by without looking like total eejits !

We had no problem driving (the Royal We of course I was the navigator).......we got down to a wee site in Lochmaben and felt quite proud when we filled up with water, plugged ourselves in and as usual I got the brochures to read to suss out the various dials and controls. The fridge was changed to mains power, and we were off !!!! The wine/beer was chilled and we settled down to admire our lovely brand new hire MH.

Of course after a couple of beer his lordship thought he was christen the loo ! It wouldn't flush, then it did, but the water level was high, so he flushed again thinking it would magically disappear...........it got worse !

The Thetford book came out and after reading it cover to cover and looking at the numpties guide in pictures........we discovered......the blade !..................the actual empting of the cassette I shall leave to another day !

Now the bed in this layout is a double (well maybe if you are 4ft and 4 stone).....needless to say we're not. Our lust for life has consisted of too many forays in the local curry shop and chinese delights in our village.

We faffed about and arranged the cushions in endless Krypton Factoresque layouts neither of which we found comfortable !...........we tried, we really did but although I love my husband I also love a bit of space to spread out and sleeping nose to nose for a full night was not going to work.

Plan B........do you fancy trying the upper cabin bed thinggy ?.......hmm not really but hey ho I'l give it a try !

The Krypton Factor cushions were duly returned to their orginal place and all the crap that we had stored up on the bed got brought down, together with the ladder !

I was advised that for my safety I should be in the inside, and my darling husband would protect me by sleeping on the outside so I wouldn't fall out..............neither of us slept particularly well, my nose was squashed against the cold wall of the curved cabin and husband was well and truly on my side !

During the night I needed to venture down to the loo...........husband thought his luck was in as I tried in a very ungainly manner to clamber over him with much heavy breathing and huffing and puffing, which then turned into hysterical laughter and a fit of the giggles !

Any ideas of nocturnal shennagians would have resulted in one of us developing a head injury and a humph !

To be continued ..................

Guest JudgeMental
layout is everything! Think long and hard before committing to a van. I appreciate it was a hire van but stay clear of over cab models (unless a family) and beds that need climbing by ladder etc...there are easier and more comfortable ways of motorhoming :-D

Will do loads of research before committing to anything.

We definitely fancy the u lounge shape and the shower in a separate cubicle with bifold door rather than curtain and wet room type thing. Dont want a permanent bed and we like low profile. We have been round to as many dealers as we can find just to "have a look" and we keep coming back to the U lounge set up as our favourite. We like to chill out and lounge and there will only be the two of us.

Booked to go down to NEC in October and have a nosey. Cant afford brand new but am worried about someone elses problem. Viewed a lovely looking Swift Sundance 580PR today but the smell of dampness in it was evident and it was only 7000 miles on the clock and £35,000.

Any advice would be greatly received with your experiences of wet room type showers or separate with bifold door.

Sounds like the basis for a TV sitcom. Got to be better than the rubbish currently available. All the ingredients, anger, stress, sex, more sex Oh did I miss a bit?

Seriously when looking at camper or even caravan bed sizes always take a pillow from home. Put this on the bed, mark the middle and then see if it fits the remaining a space. If it does then the bed is normal household size, if not forget it for a good night's sleep. Manufacturers always use small pillows for their catalogue pictures. You need 4 feet 6 inches minimum width and preferably 4 feet 8 inches for comfort. If it says 4 ft forget it. remember a domestic single bed is 3 feet wide so think about it,, unless you are very young and horny.

Also if the bed needs cushions to be re-arranged always get a mattress topper as this will ease the joins.

Many of us of an elderly disposition have been there done it and had the sore back so now plump for large fixed beds on our outfits. The pleasure of crawling away after lunch for a snooze is bliss, believe me.

Sounds like you had a bit of fun, most important thing it didn't put you off.

ChrissyG - 2013-08-19 7:38 PM

We definitely fancy the u lounge shape and the shower in a separate cubicle with bifold door rather than curtain and wet room type thing. Dont want a permanent bed and we like low profile. We have been round to as many dealers as we can find just to "have a look" and we keep coming back to the U lounge set up as our favourite. We like to chill out and lounge and there will only be the two of us.

Don't write a fixed bed of if you want a comfortable nights sleep you can't beat them, U shaped lounge is a hang over from caravans may seem attractive but the novelty of making a jigsaw every night together with poor nights sleep the novelty soon wares off. A fixed bed with a good pair captins seats (ISRI or Aguit) up front is a much better choice. Separate shower is a good choice curtains are a pain.

Booked to go down to NEC in October and have a nosey. Cant afford brand new but am worried about someone elses problem. Viewed a lovely looking Swift Sundance 580PR today but the smell of dampness in it was evident and it was only 7000 miles on the clock and £35,000.

Take a look at some German vans far less chance of damp & beds tend to be bigger the one in our Hymer is 7 foot .

Archived