Three counties show

the general

Dealers never cease to amaze when I asked IH DEALER( top quality build ) 'nice quality but now do you change these near side rear bulbs can't see how you get into light cluster ? 'He said there must be a way turned around and disappeared???? ?????????? . At another stand I asked same question reply was 'coach builders sometimes don't think of those things ' ! Can I ask how many of MH owners have had there cat converters stolen at least ford MK7 got them harder to get to !

The dealer that amazed me was Stockmans restaurant by the RV park. Serving up fish and chips, (with no vinegar available), for £7.50!! The chips were OK but the fish was dire, dry as dust.

Western show again? Yep.

Stockmans restaurant? Never again, never. Never never.

the general - 2013-08-20 9:23 AM

Dealers never cease to amaze when I asked IH DEALER( top quality build ) 'nice quality but now do you change these near side rear bulbs can't see how you get into light cluster ? 'He said there must be a way turned around and disappeared???? ?????????? . At another stand I asked same question reply was 'coach builders sometimes don't think of those things ' ! Can I ask how many of MH owners have had there cat converters stolen at least ford MK7 got them harder to get to !

Frankly, it's unrealistic to believe a motorhome salesperson should be able to provide an off-the-cuff accurate answer to an inquiry of this type.

This is an earlier forum thread that refers to changing rear-light bulbs on an Auto-Sleepers Duetto.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/DUETTO-REAR-BULB-REPLACEMENT/21523/

You'll note that, although the advice in the Transit Mk 6 handbook was quoted (by me) and an owner of a Transit Mk 7-based motorhome confirmed that the same method applied to his vehicle, it became evident (from the comments of a Duetto owner) that accessing the rear-light bulbs of a Duetto was much more complex. I would not anticipate an Auto-Sleepers salesman necessarily to know the technique involved.

I'd also suggest that an experienced salesperson at a motorhome show is unlikely to consider anyone asking such a question to be a potential purchaser. If you think the two salespersons you spoke to gave you the brush-off, then you'd probably be right. ;-)

A salesman is a salesman but I would have thought that they should know about the van conversion they actually convert ie IH CONVERSIONS. Listening to punters ask questions very very rarely do they ask anything about the base van ie bhp / twin leaf springs /tyres etc. So I suppose it's up to the punter to find out everything.

It is also necessary to bear in mind that all the firms with staff at the shows are still open and trading at home. It is often necessary for some temporary staff to be brought in to cover both ends, so it is possible the guy you collared was a temp with only a general knowledge of the van. If he was then collared by someone wanting to fill his fist with lucre to buy an IH, I think it a fair bet that would be where his attention turned. I'm assuming at least the temps would be on commission, so the incentive would be very strongly to chase the money rather than answer questions that may have seemed somewhat idle. Besides, if you really want to know how to access those lights, you can still ring IH to ask. If they have forgotten to make provision, you may even earn their eternal gratitude! :-)

the general - 2013-08-21 5:11 PM

A salesman is a salesman but I would have thought that they should know about the van conversion they actually convert ie IH CONVERSIONS. Listening to punters ask questions very very rarely do they ask anything about the base van ie bhp / twin leaf springs /tyres etc. So I suppose it's up to the punter to find out everything.

I believe that IH Motorhomes's downloadable brochure provides sufficient base-vehicle technical data to satisfy most potential buyers, and I'd expect those brochures to have been available at the Malvern show.

Engine power and torque are quoted, plus the turning-circle, brake disc diameter and tyre size. Suspension details are also given and, as no mention of twin rear "parabolic longitudinal leaf springs" is made, one may assume single leaf springs are fitted.

Most motorhome 'punters' won't be aware that twin springs are a Ducato possibility and I suspect that those that are will be prepared to look under a motorhome to check for their presence. I will admit that, if I was a genuine potential buyer of an IH Motorhomes conversion and that twin rear springs were high on my wish-list, I'd want to confirm with IHM whether these could be specified. But, if I were a genuine potential buyer of an IH Motorhomes conversion, I'd make this very clear to the sales staff so that they'd know I wasn't wasting their time with 'test the salesman's knowledge' questions.

I know I wouldn't wander around a motorhome show asking about changing rear-light bulbs, simply because the answer given by the IHM guy ("There must be a way") is self-evident. It may be that the method involved proves to be convoluted and involves disassembling half the motorhome, but impossible it won't be. And, knowing how picky IHM's owner Ian Hartley is about customer-care, it's unlikely that bulb-changing on an IHM conversion is particularly challenging.

Archived